Turn on thread page Beta

What's it like at Birmingham? watch

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine is considering an offer for History and Applied Social Sciences at Birmingham. Is there anyone who has info on what it's like in Birmingham, and what the department's like? We live in London and she's hoping to avoid the trek to the open day.

Thank You!!

ReputationRep:
    Not sure about the department, but I can tell you about the uni.. do you have anything quite specific you want to know?

It's not that much of a trek from London!!

ReputationRep:
    She'd quite like to know what part of the city the Uni is in- is it in the centre or quite far out and how far is it from the main train/coach station? Also how spread out are the depts and buildings on campus?

How are the sports facilities- does it have a swimming pool and is it worth using?

And mainly just personal impressions and experiences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naelse)
    She'd quite like to know what part of the city the Uni is in- is it in the centre or quite far out and how far is it from the main train/coach station? Also how spread out are the depts and buildings on campus?

How are the sports facilities- does it have a swimming pool and is it worth using?

the area it is in is ok, but i dont like birmingham personally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    the area it is in is ok, but i dont like birmingham personally
    why not?

ReputationRep:

I think the uni is near the centre of brum.It has its own train station (the only uni in the country to have one) but i dunno how good it is but Birmingham New St. is nearby. Sports facilities are good (of what ive seen) dunno bout swimming but its supposed to be the one of the best for sports in the country.Campus is nice, but majority of city looks like a shanty town.

Sukh.

ReputationRep:

the uni is in an area called edgbaston- which is the posh part of birmingham!! about 2 miles from the centre i think! it is all on a campus and it would take about 15 mins to walk accross campus- but most of the buildings are in the centre bit- the guild (union) is about 5 mins walk from the centre bit!! the nearest train station is on campus- the only uni in the counrty with its own train station..takes about 5 mins to walk from the station to the main buildings...that line takes you into the centre of birmingham...or there are numerous bus stops on the edge of campus..takes about 10 mins on public trasnport to get into the centre of birmingham and to the lovely bull ring ...

it has good sports facilities- swimming pool gym etc...which are definately worth using

I am going there in september to do psychology...

most of the accomodation is about 10-15 minutes walk from the uni- and if you end up with any further away than that tehn there are regular buses....

i reccomend that you come and look round tho- after all you need to like it as it will be the next 3 years of your life!!!

if there is anything else you want to know, just say!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i would tell her to try and visit it as well.. I shall be there in September.. I really love the uni, and the centre of Birmingham is lovely in my opinion... all major cities have their more run-down areas...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte*)
    Yeah i would tell her to try and visit it as well.. I shall be there in September.. I really love the uni, and the centre of Birmingham is lovely in my opinion... all major cities have their more run-down areas...
    What course charlotte?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    What course charlotte?
    DUH! i just read your profile. Have you sent off your accomodation form yet?

ReputationRep:
    why not?
    i dont like the city generally, although the new parts eg the bullring is very nice indeed. In general, birmingham is not exactly a pretty city.

ReputationRep:
    Hey Ladyluck...
    Yeah i sent the form yesterday.. it was a bit odd lol.. I put in the additional info bit that I'd really like to be assigned renovated tennis court flats, and preferably not Maple Bank. I put self-catered down as my general first choice... how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlotte*)
    Hey Ladyluck...
    Yeah i sent the form yesterday.. it was a bit odd lol.. I put in the additional info bit that I'd really like to be assigned renovated tennis court flats, and preferably not Maple Bank. I put self-catered down as my general first choice... how about you?
    I put Tennis courts, but then *stupidly* as second preference i put the beeches ( i am keen not to get maple bank!) without realising where it is oops!! I am hoping not to be there! It would have been alot easier to put *not maple bank* DUH!!!

The *do you sleep with the window open* question was a bit odd!! I do sometimes but it depends if its cold outside or really noisy! lol

ReputationRep:
    Maple Bank isn't that bad. It's certainly better than some of the halls at LSE and Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i dont like the city generally, although the new parts eg the bullring is very nice indeed. In general, birmingham is not exactly a pretty city.

whilst i agree with that,over the next 10 years birminghams going to have 12 bilion spent on it

since the very sucessful bullring,its gone from sterength to strength knocking down its 1960s disasters

the martineau galleries a 500 mil pound hoping complex will start next year

bridley place is almost complete,its a fantastic building where top class banks and businesses are moving there

the grimest part of brum is up the m6 but its going to get a 6 bilion revamp,so it will be a "prettier" city in the near future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladyluck)
    I put Tennis courts, but then *stupidly* as second preference i put the beeches ( i am keen not to get maple bank!) without realising where it is oops!! I am hoping not to be there! It would have been alot easier to put *not maple bank* DUH!!!

The *do you sleep with the window open* question was a bit odd!! I do sometimes but it depends if its cold outside or really noisy! lol
    When filling out the Accomodation Application - what is the "Student ID Number"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupin Loopy)
    When filling out the Accomodation Application - what is the "Student ID Number"?
    You won't know that till you get your registration form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    You won't know that till you get your registration form.
    When do I get a registration form? Isn't that what you get when you have been accepted (ie in the summer)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lupin Loopy)
    When do I get a registration form? Isn't that what you get when you have been accepted (ie in the summer)?
    Yeah, you won't get it till a few weeks before the start of term, if I remember right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Yeah, you won't get it till a few weeks before the start of term, if I remember right.
    Yeah but the form has to be in by may or april.

I just put my UCAS id no and left it at that, they sent me an acknowledgement and havent been in touch about it.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.