Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

You'll think I'm stupid for asking this but... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I think yes and no, for some subjects they do but for others they don't. When I did my Maths GCSE last year, the results slip only showed the grade and not my final mark; but my friend did an Applied ICT GCSE last year, and she got her final UMS marks. It depends, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    ye, i got my UMS mark for maths (edexcel), but only a grade for general studies (aqa), so it probably depends on the exam board

ReputationRep:
    You can always ask your teacher for the UMS marks, they'll have a record (mine do anyway :P)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jess89)
    You can always ask your teacher for the UMS marks, they'll have a record (mine do anyway :P)!
    Really? Hmm, can just imagine myself, on results day, pestering all of my subject teachers for my UMS... :p:

ReputationRep:
    AQA dont give UMS marks, EDEXCEL and OCR do, hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Depends entirely on the subject and exam board. For OCR English and English lit, I got my total UMS and my UMS for each exam and piece of coursework. For Edexcel maths, I got my UMS for the exams and my UMS for the coursework, so I could add them together to get a total. Everything else (OCR double science, history, short course RS and media studies, Edexcel French and AQA food technology) was just a grade.

ReputationRep:
    Nooo i dont want my MARK for maths, because I dont want my mum to know I got like 40%, I just want her to know I got a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    Nooo i dont want my MARK for maths, because I dont want my mum to know I got like 40%, I just want her to know I got a B.
    You only get UMS marks, not raw marks, so if you get a B, it'll say you got between 70-80%, I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    You only get UMS marks, not raw marks, so if you get a B, it'll say you got between 70-80%, I think.

wtf? I thought the grade boundries were WAY lower to get a B.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FireDeuce)
    wtf? I thought the grade boundries were WAY lower to get a B.
    They are in terms of raw marks, but (I think) the UMS marks stay the same every year. Basically you'll always need around 90% for an A*, 80% for an A, 70% for a B etc in UMS marks, but the raw marks (what you actually get on the exam/coursework) needed for each grade varies each year according to difficulty. So even though someone only got 40% on the exam, that would be scaled up to 70% in UMS marks and they'd get a B. That's how it works at A-level anyway and I'm pretty sure a similar system is used at GCSE. It's a bit complicated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    They are in terms of raw marks, but (I think) the UMS marks stay the same every year. Basically you'll always need around 90% for an A*, 80% for an A, 70% for a B etc in UMS marks, but the raw marks (what you actually get on the exam/coursework) needed for each grade varies each year according to difficulty. So even though someone only got 40% on the exam, that would be scaled up to 70% in UMS marks and they'd get a B. That's how it works at A-level anyway and I'm pretty sure a similar system is used at GCSE. It's a bit complicated!
    Yes, I *think* that's what happens too. To clarify maybe you could look at some of the Examiner's Reports - they always have the grade boundaries on there.

ReputationRep:
    I got my mark for Stats, but then the teacher is really friendly, so gave it out to us.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think for any of my exams I got my UMS mark...*checks*, no I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I got my actual marks for edexcel bio chem and physics, but nothing else (including other edexcel exams). I think that might have been because it was modular science. I got told my stats mark by my teacher, but I think that was we took it a year early, so she actually had the chance to tell us. After year 11, I didn't get a chance to speak to my teachers again, so couldn't find out about any other subjects. So you probably won't know your marks for most of you exams. Shame, cos I'd be interested to know my actual marks for some of my other subjects, although it would be annoying if you found out you were one mark off the next grade up or something lol.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.