The Student Room Group

Insulting religion...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by marcusfox
What you want us to say is that we'd behave in a such an childish manner and beat the crap out of them, right?

Presuming what I am going to say. Wow. You're psychic, NOT.

So, you believe the attacks are justified and are trying to make the link that Muslims feel the same way about someone gratuitously insulting Islam as we would feel about someone gratuitously insulting our mum in public, and because in that event, clearly we must want to physically hurt that person, Muslims are justified in their reactions?

You said it.

If they are <insert race here>, does it justify attacking and killing all the <insert race here> wherever they can be found? How about burning down their embassies?

For some reason, Hutsis and Tutus come to the forefront of my mind.

Seriously, you're likening this to a 'Your mum' insult?

What an odd (not too mention immature) mentality...

It seems you haven't answered the question yet...
Original post by Algorithm69
Everything is an insult to Muslims. The mildest criticism is met with shrill cries of offence and hurt.

Why insult them if they have done nothing to deserve it?
Reply 42
Many other religions are mocked on a daily basis. It is freedom of speech. Why should Islam be any different?
Original post by squishy123

They do deserve it.

Well, I could argue against that idea all day long - but perhaps you ought to read what they actually said. Even the slightest critism being met with cries of offence - hell, take on here, any time anyone says anything slightly critical of Islam they get bombarded by neg reps. You really need to learn the difference between being insulting and being critical.
That's right. Skirt around the issue without engaging in it fully.

I didn't ask how would you respond if someone insulted you, I asked how you would respond if someone had insulted the memory of your Mum without any kind of justification...

No. You're just trying to be smarmy and pick on insignificances which are wasting both our time when you know exactly what the context is but for some reason are playing stupid. If you carry on I will just stop responding.

And I've told you, it's similar to me. I just wouldn't care. Why would I? If somebody said "Oi mate your mum is a tool" Why would I care?I know myself she isn't, he's welcome to that opinion, I'm not going to go and beat him up and burn down his house. It's his opinion, it might be unfair, overly critical and wrong but he is more than welcome to it in a fair and open society.
Reply 46

I didn't ask how would you respond if someone insulted you, I asked how you would respond if someone had insulted the memory of your Mum without any kind of justification...

I'd group together a mob of people arm them with light weapons, find where he lives and burn the guys house to the ground. Then I'd kill him and his family, before moving the slaughter onto the rest of the street he lives on.

That's what any rational person would do isn't it?
Original post by Joeman560
They do deserve it.

Any elaboration on this....
Original post by Alofleicester
Well, I could argue against that idea all day long - but perhaps you ought to read what they actually said. Even the slightest critism being met with cries of offence - hell, take on here, any time anyone says anything slightly critical of Islam they get bombarded by neg reps. You really need to learn the difference between being insulting and being critical.

And some people need to get an education in Islam....
Original post by Historicity
No. You're just trying to be smarmy and pick on insignificances which are wasting both our time when you know exactly what the context is but for some reason are playing stupid. If you carry on I will just stop responding.

Why respond at all?

And I've told you, it's similar to me. I just wouldn't care. Why would I? If somebody said "Oi mate your mum is a tool" Why would I care?I know myself she isn't, he's welcome to that opinion, I'm not going to go and beat him up and burn down his house. It's his opinion, it might be unfair, overly critical and wrong but he is more than welcome to it in a fair and open society.

Oh but what if it was in a public space, like on TV and millions of people around the world heard it and started discussing your Mum's private life like her sexual history etc etc etc and people started being judgmental. You telling me that would not get your blood boiling?
Original post by Keckers
I'd group together a mob of people arm them with light weapons, find where he lives and burn the guys house to the ground. Then I'd kill him and his family, before moving the slaughter onto the rest of the street he lives on.

That's what any rational person would do isn't it?

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, old boy.
And some people need to get an education in Islam....

Sorry, what?

How does people making perfectly valid critisms mean they need an education in Islam, or justify your calls of offensiveness against everyone that doesn't agree with you.

Why respond at all?

Oh but what if it was in a public space, like on TV and millions of people around the world heard it and started discussing your Mum's private life like her sexual history etc etc etc and people started being judgmental. You telling me that would not get your blood boiling?

Regardless of whether it would anger someone, you can't possibly suggest a reasonable response is to act like a bunch of violent, low-life degenerates, burning embassies and killing people.
Why respond at all?

Yes but if I believed myself this was misrepresenting her I would take great solace in that and again I wouldn't kick off a riot or kill people. Especially those who had nothing to do with it.

THere is no justification for attacking innocents, burning things and killing people because your may or may not be true religion felt offended.
OH MY WORD. WHAT THE F*CK, im muslim, and i love you all. yes, some "muslims" have given us a bad rep, but there will always be idiots in the world, there will always be insulting and criticisms and whatnot but PLEASE DONT JUDGE US ALL BECAUSE OF THOSE EMBARRASSMENTS TO ISLAM WHICH CALL THEMSELVES "MUSLIM". we're all going to die, so get on with your lives. who wants cake?
Sorry, what?

How does people making perfectly valid critisms mean they need an education in Islam, or justify your calls of offensiveness against everyone that doesn't agree with you.

It was a PARODY, not a criticism...

Regardless of whether it would anger someone, you can't possibly suggest a reasonable response is to act like a bunch of violent, low-life degenerates, burning embassies and killing people.

Oh, but the Muslim world is just so barbaric with their Sharia law and their status of women and their sex slaves and their tribal fights etc etc etc.

Isn't this reaction an affirmation to Western Society of how barbaric they are?
It was a PARODY, not a criticism...

Let's just rewind to what I said:

Even the slightest critism being met with cries of offence - hell, take on here, any time anyone says anything slightly critical of Islam they get bombarded by neg reps. You really need to learn the difference between being insulting and being critical.

I wasn't talking about the film specifically, as I said - any critism results in people throwing their toys out of the pram.

Oh, but the Muslim world is just so barbaric with their Sharia law and their status of women and their sex slaves and their tribal fights etc etc etc.

Isn't this reaction an affirmation to Western Society of how barbaric they are?

Not entirely sure what that first sentence has to do with what I said, but responding to a video making you out to be violent degenerates by acting like violent degenerates doesn't really help dispel that image.

Where do we draw the line between criticism and insult? If a someone were to make a valid criticism of Islam and the Quran academically, then that person would be accused of insulting the religion.

Or for example example, Salman Rushdie and his novel The Satanic Verses. He did no go about with intention to insult Islam, but many muslims were insulted and accused him of blasphemy and unbelief. Then he had a fatwa put on his life and also many people will killed as a reaction to this.

As a real life example, if you watch the X Factor, you sometimes see people who come on stage and can't sing. When the judges then offer their criticism, the person flips out and wont accept it. They then make themselves look foolish by their overreactions.
(edited 11 years ago)
Let's just rewind to what I said:

I wasn't talking about the film specifically, as I said - any critism results in people throwing their toys out of the pram.

Give me an instance where criticism has lead to riots and killings....

Not entirely sure what that first sentence has to do with what I said, but responding to a video making you out to be violent degenerates by acting like violent degenerates doesn't really help dispel that image.

But that image is already firmly entrenched in many Westerner's eyes, so what difference does it make if Muslims go on a rampage. They are viewed like that already.
Actually, it's an exchange of ideas or viewpoints.

Why criticize when you can sit down together and interact with other people?
Reply 59
Actually, it's an exchange of ideas or viewpoints.

Why criticize when you can sit down together and interact with other people?

Do you know what 'criticise' actually means?

knock: find fault with; express criticism of; point out real or perceived flaws; "The paper criticized the new movie"; "Don't knock the food--it's free"

criticize: act as a critic; "Those who criticize others often are not perfect, either"

By very definition, a debate involves criticism.

Quick Reply