Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I could do with some information on the depositional processes (sedimentation) that happen at coastlines.. all I know of is longshore drift and constructive waves :confused:

For erosion there's loads of things like hydraulic action, abrasion, attrition etc

ReputationRep:
    What about bars? You know where longshore drift occurs across a bay and the deposition forms a progressively longer line across the front of the bay, which can close it off.

ReputationRep:
    Edit: they're called barrier beaches when they cover the entire bay, and spits if they just stick out so far across the bay.

Also look up 'tombolos' like at Chesil Beach, which stretches for 18km to the Isle of Portland.

ReputationRep:
    Examples of spits and barrier beaches are as follows:

Spits: Across the mouth of the River Exe in Devon, and Orford Ness in Suffolk.

Barrier beach: Slapton Sands in South Devon, which has left Slapton Ley freshwater lagoon behind it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know what you mean, that's the formations of depositional processes.. like spits, beaches, tombolos etc

What i'm after is the processes that make them, so far i've only got Longshore drift and Constructive waves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stratomaster)
    Yeah I know what you mean, that's the formations of depositional processes.. like spits, beaches, tombolos etc

What i'm after is the processes that make them, so far i've only got Longshore drift and Constructive waves.
    Ah right, well I can't think of anything other than longshore drift and constructive waves, but if I do think of something i'll be sure to tell you

ReputationRep:
    :p: There isn't much else tbh.. but I just found a few more a minute ago

Thanks for your help.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.