Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does it actually make a difference whether you actually visit a uni? I mean does it help you in anyway if you were to mention it on your personal statement?

I hope to study aeronuatical engineering at hopefully either: Cambridge, Imperial, Bristol, Bath or Southampton. Now living in London Im only likely to visit Imperial, which I will do as part of my Headstart engineering course in July. Naturally I don't want to travel to Bristol or Bath just to visit the uni if I have to go back there to be interviewed later in the year (a lot of driving...).

Other than obviously helping you select which unis you want to go (im pretty firm on my decisions) what benefit is there from just visiting the uni? Does it help your application in anyway?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    You'll get to know what it's really like. They won't put in the prospectus how far the trek up the hill back from the pub really is!

After you've got your offers, you'll usually be invited to an open day, and it is a good idea to go. If you ask, they may be willing to pay train fares for you, and have you overnight if necessary. It won't help your application, and I've never heard of anyone putting it in their PS. But it will help you end upo somewhere that's right for you.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

...plus your other unis aren't gonna be to impressed to hear that you visited say Bath...one admissions tutor told me this girl mentioned Aberdeen in her PS so they rejected her coz they thought why doesn't she just go to Aberdeen then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyinpunk)
    :ditto:

...plus your other unis aren't gonna be to impressed to hear that you visited say Bath...one admissions tutor told me this girl mentioned Aberdeen in her PS so they rejected her coz they thought why doesn't she just go to Aberdeen then?
    Oh yeah, obviously that makes sense. But say you put down that you visited Cambridge, other unis couldn't just say go to that uni instead. Thats just not possible

ReputationRep:
    It definitely helps because you get a feel of the place that you just won't get from a prospectus. If I hadn't visited, my choices would be totally different!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.)
    Oh yeah, obviously that makes sense. But say you put down that you visited Cambridge, other unis couldn't just say go to that uni instead. Thats just not possible
    ...no - what i meant is that admissions tutors don't want to hear you talk about other unis...obviously the girl wanted to go to Aberdeen so the admissions tutor (who was from Goldsmith's) thought that she obviously didn't want to go to Goldsmith's as much so why should they bother making her an offer

i didn't say that they said "go to Aberdeen" :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It won't help at all in your application and it would be really weird to mention it in your PS, especially as you use the same one for all 6 unis, but it's a good idea to go to open days to get a feel for the place. Unis obviously try to cover up their weaknesses in the prospectus and you need to visit for yourself to find out whether you'd be happy there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prettyinpunk)
    ...no - what i meant is that admissions tutors don't want to hear you talk about other unis...obviously the girl wanted to go to Aberdeen so the admissions tutor (who was from Goldsmith's) thought that she obviously didn't want to go to Goldsmith's as much so why should they bother making her an offer

i didn't say that they said "go to Aberdeen" :confused:
    Oh ok. I see your point now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ads.)
    Oh ok. I see your point now.
    ...sorry if it was confusing
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Some unis send out feedback forms to anyone who booked to go to an open day, so you could fill that out and mention how much you'd love to go there. But I doubt the right person would see this!

ReputationRep:
    you should visit everywhere you can - you say now that you want to go to these places, but how can you know for sure until you get there? sure, they may be prestigous, but you might actually HATE the atmosphere of bristol, or the campus at bath, or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    I want to reiterate the benefits you get from visiting the university before applying.. preferably doing so with a guide. There's nothing like being able to see and experience for yourself the way of life in the university, student atmosphere, academic systems, etc. Don't just believe everything you read in the prospectus.. it's a lot like a reference - i.e. can be misleading.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.