Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have got offers for Sports and exercise science at both Pompey and Bham but am totally stuck for which to go for! Can anyone help!?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of answers are you expecting?

Apart from "come to Pompey w00t w00t" etc etc

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Pompey Pompey Pompey!

Go on, you know you'll enjoy it. Portsmouth has the best pubs&clubs to student ratio in the country!

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you go to portsmouth?

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is a far better city, has a far better nightlife and clubs, and is a better Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    Birmingham is a far better city, has a far better nightlife and clubs, and is a better Uni.
    Silence Island boy!

ReputationRep:
    Don't listen to him!

I heard they've all got webbed feet on the IoW.

ReputationRep:
    It's true, I do have webbed feet.

However, despite that, I do know a thing or two about clubbing, since I've been doing it many years more than most of you, and believe me when I say that it's hard to touch Broad Street in Birmingham. It is absolutely rammed every single night of the week, the clubs are huge and absolutely brilliant, and the city is also really nice, and just much better than Portsmouth in every way.

I'm not going to lie, Birmingham is absolutely brilliant if you're young and like going out a lot. It kicks the crap out of Portsmouth quite easily, to be perfectly honest with you.

Plus your money will stretch twice as far, which is an important factor to consider if you're a student.

Birmingham is the better choice.

ReputationRep:
    If you're so pro-Birmingham why did you choose Portsmouth?

ReputationRep:
    Because I had no other choice other than to live at home and commute to Uni at Portsmouth. I won't go into details, but my finances are more of a mess than you could possibly imagine. They're in REALLY bad shape, at one point when I was 19/20 I was considering declaring myself bankrupt.

I was at Uni in Bournemouth but I had to drop out to work full time because of my finances.

I wouldn't be at Portsmouth if I could realistically be somewhere better like Birmingham or Bournemouth. But I can't afford it in any way, shape or form, so there's no point in complaining. I'm stuck at home with Mummy and Daddy, which isn't so bad really, because at least I can afford to go out, whereas I probably couldn't if I was living away.

Such is life, no point in whining about it.

ReputationRep:
    That's an árse really.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, it is a pain. If I had the choice I would choose Birmingham over Portsmouth by a long, long way.

Sadly, I don't. I have the grades to go to Birmingham, but it's not a possibility.

I'm just offering this kid my honest opinion, because I'd hate to see him not make the best possible choice. Birmingham is a much better city with MUCH better nightlife than Portsmouth, as pretty much anybody who has been to both will tell you.

ReputationRep:
    the accent pees me off too much in birmingham, not that i've ever been...

ReputationRep:
    I applied to Aston, which is in Birmingham, and didn't like the look of the city.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? I love Birmingham, I have a great time every time I go there, I think the city's absolutely fantastic. It's huge, it's very individual, it's so vibrant and busy, and Broad Street is just amazing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squelchy)
    It's true, I do have webbed feet.

However, despite that, I do know a thing or two about clubbing, since I've been doing it many years more than most of you, and believe me when I say that it's hard to touch Broad Street in Birmingham. It is absolutely rammed every single night of the week, the clubs are huge and absolutely brilliant, and the city is also really nice, and just much better than Portsmouth in every way.

I'm not going to lie, Birmingham is absolutely brilliant if you're young and like going out a lot. It kicks the crap out of Portsmouth quite easily, to be perfectly honest with you.

Plus your money will stretch twice as far, which is an important factor to consider if you're a student.

Birmingham is the better choice.
    That's probably because Birmigham is many times bigger than Pompey lol.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham probably has a better night-life. Well, it does until you get stabbed and have to spend a couple of nights thereafter in a coma.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spiral Architect)
    Birmingham probably has a better night-life. Well, it does until you get stabbed and have to spend a couple of nights thereafter in a coma.
    That's what I would have said aswell. Brum isn't renound for being a safe place to be honest....................while Portsmouth seemed really really friendly and safe (well it did when I spend a day there).

I'm thinking of Portsmouth as my first choice at the mo because where I live now is such a gypo place, and I just wouldn't really want to go to a Uni that has similar credentials to where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham's not safe? Hell, nowhere is safe these days. It's not a good idea to be walking about on your own at 2 in the morning in Pompey either.

Sure there are scummy areas in Birmingham, just like there are scummy areas in Porrtsmouth. But the extent of them is greatly exaggerated. If you actually went to Birmingham you'd be surprised, it's a very clean, attractive, friendly, safe city, as long as you avoid the small parts which are scummy.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.