Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Possibility of being pregnant watch

Announcements

Argh. I'm on the pill, have been for five years. I run packets together usually since my period is heavy. Anyway, stopped taking it on Saturday, had sex all this week (without using condoms - long term relationship), then got a light period on Tuesday - Saturday. Usually I have to change the tampons quite a bit, but this time they weren't even full (sorry, gross I know). So I'm like "where's my period?". There just doesn't seem to have been enough blood. However, you're not supposed to bleed at all when you're pregnant are you?

I skipped a day of the pill a couple weeks ago but I heard that missing a day doesn't change the effectiveness, or does it?

What is the possibility of me being pregnant?

Oh, and just because I might need to know: if I go to the doc, could I get those abortion pills straight away? Would I have to pay? And if I had to have a proper abortion would I have to pay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Argh. I'm on the pill, have been for five years. I run packets together usually since my period is heavy. Anyway, stopped taking it on Saturday, had sex all this week (without using condoms - long term relationship), then got a light period on Tuesday - Saturday. Usually I have to change the tampons quite a bit, but this time they weren't even full (sorry, gross I know). So I'm like "where's my period?". There just doesn't seem to have been enough blood. However, you're not supposed to bleed at all when you're pregnant are you?
    Yes, it's quite common for there to a be light bleeding in early pregnancy afaik.

I skipped a day of the pill a couple weeks ago but I heard that missing a day doesn't change the effectiveness, or does it?
    You ought to get a pregnancy test just in case.

Oh, and just because I might need to know: if I go to the doc, could I get those abortion pills straight away? Would I have to pay? And if I had to have a proper abortion would I have to pay?
    It doesn't sound all that likely that you are pregnant, however the change in your period (i.e. the lightness of flow) combined with missing that pill a couple of weeks ago means there is a chance and you should get a pregnancy test asap just in case.

You only have to pay for a termination if you go private. Worry about that if it happens!

ReputationRep:

If you had sex when you we not protected then yes there is a chance.

If you had sex in the week that you were on your period then no your protected as far as i know.

I think if you miss a day you might not be protected for a week but im a guy so meh dunno

Ring the NHS helpline its free and they will be able to answer your questions better its free 0845 46 47

ReputationRep:
    I don't like the way that you talk about a termination so casually. The fact that you show more concern that you might have to pay for a "proper abortion" really disappoints me.

ReputationRep:
    First things first - go and buy a pregnancy test. Chances are, if you had a bleed then you're not pregnant and it was just a light month for you, so don't start worrying yet. The correct order is pregnancy test, doctors, THEN panic!

Also, to the poster directly above me - the OP was asking for advice, not judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophieliz)
    I don't like the way that you talk about a termination so casually. The fact that you show more concern that you might have to pay for a "proper abortion" really disappoints me.
    Please let's not turn this into an abortion debate?

I don't really care what you think; it's my body and don't start with that anti-abortion stuff because that's not what I'm here to ask about. Cheers.

Will a pregnancy test work this early? I can get free ones at uni, a week and a half away - should I wait?

Could be a light month... I had breakthrough bleeding the day I skipped the pill but then my period didn't start so I continued with it. Started taking it again yesterday.

ReputationRep:

Some women do experience light periods after conception (so-called implantation bleeding). So it's possible; the best advice is to get it seen to straightaway. Bear in mind that post-coital pills (or the morning after pill) have to be taken within seventy-two hours of unprotected sex to be effective. You can get one on prescription from your doctor or family planning clinic or you can pay for one at a chemist (quite expensive, but ultimately worth it). Abortions are covered by the NHS, but it's unlikely you'll have to go that far if you act quickly (and of course you may very well not be pregnant at all).

ReputationRep:
    Thats a personal view and tbh is not helping at all why bother posting this?

I am sure she cares you are really disappointed her ....

And some people don't have alot of money so paying is an important issue.

Some people don't mind about having an abortion debating the moral issues is a completley different topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by svidrigailov)
    Some women do experience light periods after conception (so-called implantation bleeding). So it's possible; the best advice is to get it seen to straightaway. Bear in mind that post-coital pills (or the morning after pill) have to be taken within seventy-two hours of unprotected sex to be effective. You can get one on prescription from your doctor or family planning clinic or you can pay for one at a chemist (quite expensive, but ultimately worth it). Abortions are covered by the NHS, but it's unlikely you'll have to go that far if you act quickly (and of course you may very well not be pregnant at all).
    Brilliant post, perfect advice

Annoyingly the first recent time I had sex was a week ago, so it's too late for the morning after pill.

I might get a pregnancy test later then. Erm... if I'm pregnant, and I get a doctor's appointment sometime this week, will they give me the abortion pill then? I have exams in a few weeks and don't want to be pregnant during them!!

Ookay can I just check that a pregnancy test will be accurate if I take it now (around a week after possibly getting pregnant)??

ReputationRep:
    Annoyingly the first recent time I had sex was a week ago, so it's too late for the morning after pill.

I might get a pregnancy test later then. Erm... if I'm pregnant, and I get a doctor's appointment sometime this week, will they give me the abortion pill then? I have exams in a few weeks and don't want to be pregnant during them!!
    I doubt they would give you a medical abortion "on the spot" tbh

ReputationRep:
    Yep it will come up if you are or not GL

Am I the only one who sometimes panics every time they get non-sex-but-still-fairly-intimate with a guy, just in case -by some miracle chance- you MIGHT be pregnant?

It's a bugger when you have to wait 3 weeks for a period.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really care what you think; it's my body and don't start with that anti-abortion stuff because that's not what I'm here to ask about. Cheers.

Will a pregnancy test work this early? I can get free ones at uni, a week and a half away - should I wait?

Could be a light month... I had breakthrough bleeding the day I skipped the pill but then my period didn't start so I continued with it. Started taking it again yesterday.
    Yes, a test will work properly. You can take them from the first day of your "missed period", in this case a very light period, so since that was last week it will work fine.
    Breakthrough bleeding is often taken to be a medical sign the pill isn't working properly.

(Original post by spacedonkey)
    I doubt they would give you a medical abortion "on the spot" tbh
    Does anyone know how long I'd have to wait? I am already very much decided on what to do (with the full support of my boyfriend).

ReputationRep:
    Ookay can I just check that a pregnancy test will be accurate if I take it now (around a week after possibly getting pregnant)??
    The back of the packet or the instructions inside will tell you when the optimum time would be. It all depends on when the first day of your period was (I think...vague memories of being in this situation myself are coming back to me!)

Am I the only one who sometimes panics every time they get non-sex-but-still-fairly-intimate with a guy, just in case -by some miracle chance- you MIGHT be pregnant?

It's a bugger when you have to wait 3 weeks for a period.
    I'm the same. Except this time I have a reason. Ack. And pregnancy tests are so expensive!!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how long I'd have to wait? I am already very much decided on what to do (with the full support of my boyfriend).
    I don't know if a pg test would work this early, no - sorry. Waiting times for terminations vary - I had a termination (but it was a surgical one) and had to wait about 6 weeks for it, which was AWFUL. If you can afford to go private, do so. If the doc thinks a medical abortion is appropriate (depends on age etc), then waiting time might be shorter. You really need to talk to your GP asap to set your mind at rest. Good luck x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.