Turn on thread page Beta

History - Foreign Conflicts - Vietnam watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canuck)
    i follow you responses as hound on a fox's trail, they are all pro yank, why dont you join an american forum, maby you will actually fit in, or do you just enjoy being an outcast?
    So thats tonights game? Attack those with different views?

ReputationRep:
    i follow you responses as hound on a fox's trail,
    please! im deleting PMs by the dozen as it is, the last thing i need is another obsessive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will_cambs)
    not all americans hate vietnam only the childish who cannot forgive hate each other...........there is a great resentment towards europeans as well as americans in hanoi and north vietnam, and the north and south today do not like each other and the north view southern vietnamese as traitors, for those that dont know south vietnam was americas allies they were fighting the north NVA. VC.
    When I went there there was no resentment towards any Europeans or Americans in the north, especially not Hanoi. Everyone was friendly and polite, I think they liked the yank travelers more than I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    please! im deleting PMs by the dozen as it is, the last thing i need is another obsessive.
    well, vienna, i respect those views of anyone, they are themselves, and they are entitled to have there own views.

you go out of your way to harass those on the forums who are frustrated with america. If america had a liberal foreign policy, im sure it wouldnt be attacked and wouldnt be hated. People use the excuse that just because america is a super power it is hated.

You certainly act like the average american, i cant see why you arent, or maby your are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cungdantinhyeu)
    i think everyone are false about Vietnam War, The American Army invaded my country and they want to seperate my country in two.They use Vietnamese people in the southern to fight the Northern people, so as you know, the Vietnamese people were died more than the American.
    The American used 78 million tons of dioxin along my country, so now there are lost of people who have cancer, and die.
    They used B52 jet, and million tons of bomb, but we werent frightened, we defeated them.
    no win without blood and death, so it make the proud history of my country. I am very proud of being a Vietnamese.
    Well said, the Americans were *******s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I thought Vietnam was at that time separated into two seperate countries, North and South. The North invaded the South to unify the country under a communist regime and the Americans fought to stop this happening.
    Exactly, the Americans wanted to stop the communists from unifying the country, they wanted to keep it divided.

ReputationRep:
    well, vienna, i respect those views of anyone, they are themselves, and they are entitled to have there own views.

you go out of your way to harass those on the forums who are frustrated with america. If america had a liberal foreign policy, im sure it wouldnt be attacked and wouldnt be hated. People use the excuse that just because america is a super power it is hated.

You certainly act like the average american, i cant see why you arent, or maby your are.
    You seem absolutly obsessed with america.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    well i am proud to be an american
    Don't worry... the men in white coats will be here soon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by murphy1)
    Well said, the Americans were *******s.
    ya, that was horrible, i remember seeing the pictures of the deformed children, christ it made me sick. Those dioxides killed everything where it was sprayed and contaminated it for many years, and still is contaminating. the worst this is, america is not paying for all the misfortunate children who have no arms, legs, fingers ear, ect. It was way worse than saddam hussien gasing, and look at hiroshima, christ, that was horrible too.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, the Americans wanted to stop the communists

if only youd have stopped yourself there.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry... the men in white coats will be here soon.
    Brilliant! Absolutly brilliant! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PadFoot90)
    You seem absolutly obsessed with america.
    im not obsessed with america, im obsessed with britain. America is just a common topic on this forum.

ReputationRep:
    im not obsessed with america, im obsessed with britain. America is just a common topic on this forum.
    Unfortunatly so.

ReputationRep:
    oh? "man, you really need to get you head out of the clouds, really"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 101mphfastball)
    Vietnam, was a war of politics, why else do you take a hill and give it back, why else do you not attack the north, it was a defensive war, you can't win a defensive war. Just like the British prime minister Winston churchill said "The best means of defense is offense", so the due to politics (that and public dislike of the war) the United States withdrew, if they wanted to win the war they could. I'm not a big supporter of war although I'm proud of my family who fought in Vietnam, sometimes its needed. But Vietnam if they won, won not cause they conquered the US, but beacuse politics in the United States.

After all if it wasn't for politics there would have only been 1 Gulf War.
    I'm sorry, no offence, but I don't see how you can be proud of them. I also don't see how you can call a war fought half way accross the world from America a "defensive war". America did loose, they left Vietnam because the war was unpopular in America and because they were being driven back. Anyway, the Americans invaded Vietnam to stop communists from unifying the country, after thousands of American soldiers and millions of Vietnamese soldiers and civilians were killed, due to the American invasion, they then left the country and it was unified anyway, what exactly is there to be proud of??

ReputationRep:
    1 more thing, you quoted Winston Churchill saying that the "best means of defence is offence." He said this when German soldiers were in France and the Germans were planning to invade England. Maybe I'm being thick, but I find it hard to see how this situation is comparable to that of Vietnam and America.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    couple of points before you run back under that rock...

im african, therefore i must be exempt when i say, "vietnam sucks". dont take it the wrong way not meant as an insult, im just racist. and analy retentive right?

im sure that is a possibility.

like the childish British veterans who feel uncomfortable saluting the german dead. ye, my grandad is such a loooser. i can see youre impartial to all this though.. "YE" ISNT THAT NORTHERN SLANG??

and the south view the north as oppressive communists and are thankful for western support for their existance, but hey, what does it matter? NO WERE TALKING OF THE NORTHS VIEW NOT THE SOUTHS>>>>>READ PROPERLY.

well, if i think about it, the americans withdrew because it a) wasnt their existence they were defending b) not politically viable c) accounting for more war dead than is acceptable in the civilised world. d) the worlds media wanted them out.

yes, all four points were indeed alien to a communist supporting bunch of savages and you.

OH AND THERE WAS ME THINKING IT WAS TOO COSTLY......must throw my chronicle of world history in the bin.

youve changed your tune, "please dont take that the wrong way not meant as an insult.". perhaps you can enlighten us as to your service in the vietnam war as a teenager? I WAS NOT IN THE VN WAR............QUOTE ME IF I SAID THAT I WAS????

of course, all reputable and above board as the vietcong were renowned for their honesty and adherence to civilised practices. THEY GOT THAT FROM THE YANKEE DOODLES I THINK!

those damn americans, they start a war against a global threat to western democracy and then defend multiple peoples right to exist,putting their political and material capital on the line and they still have the balls to bear a few grudges. why are you typing all this again? NOT JUST START A WAR BUT NOW DICTATE WHAT RELIGIONS ARE OK!

no thanks, seattle, houston , no in fact, alcatraz sounds far more appealing.
    FREEDOM TO TRAVEL ANYWHERE

like apocalypse now, what a scream!
    OH IM SURE IT WAS A FILM, NOT A VERBAL NOISE! :rolleyes:

no, but in the west dying to protect your country is seen as quite heroic. im surprised you havent recognised this with the chinese, the japanese kamikaze..
    YES I REMEMBER THOUSANDS OF VC PARACHUTING INTO WASHINGTON! :confused:

hehe, those poor americans. they could crush the North Koreans, but it would mean European and Asian deaths and i dont think the UN, the EU, yourself or anyone outside of the United States would find North Korea remotely responsible. i condemn their appeasement of the ignorant and weak.

i was unaware you even mentioned it.
    I DID

i dare you to show me a false statement.
    WONT WASTE MY TIME.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Because the Americans decided to get involved because of their Domino Theory.
    and language played a role too. communism was 'imagined' and represented in the united states using bio-medical language. coupled with the westen tradition of conceptualising sovereignty and the state using the container metaphor resulted in the united states framing the response in a way that suited how the problem was perceived. all very interesting. i have an article on this if anyone wants it. and another on the role of prestige and respect in deciding the case for war.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Huntroyde)
    Remember, when the USSR had some nuclear missiles on Cuba, the Americans had them all over Europe aiming at Russia.
    precisely! well done. its best to present a more balanced picture of the cold war, too many people adopt the traditional western interpretation without subjecting it to scrutiny.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone would like to extend the argument to Korea?
    OK, I'll start:

The US won in Korea, and now South Korea is rich and the North is poor, dictatorial and hungry.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.