Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The other day I was watching Episode V, and I noticed that when Luke takes off from Dagobah to go to Bespin, Obi Wan says that he is the last hope. How has he forgotten about Leia, he was there when she was born?

Has anyone else seen anything strange in the movies that doen't seem right?

ReputationRep:
    Because it was not his position to say they were brother and sister, just to keep them safe for the moment before they could meet each other and confront the emporer,vader and thier cronies.

ReputationRep:
    Obi-Wan must have known that Leia alone would not be stong enough to save the Republic.

ReputationRep:
    obi wan was just being sexist. lol. he has just gone down in my estimations

ReputationRep:
    In Revenge of the Sith, Anakin says something like 'You're either with me or against me' and Obi-Wan replies 'Only a Sith deals in absolutes!' But in The Empire Strikes back, Yoda says to Luke 'No! Do or do not. There is no try.'

Therefore making Yoda a sith. Glad thats out, it’s been bugging me for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Draig)
    In Revenge of the Sith, Anakin says something like 'You're either with me or against me' and Obi-Wan replies 'Only a Sith deals in absolutes!' But in The Empire Strikes back, Yoda says to Luke 'No! Do or do not. There is no try.'

Therefore making Yoda a sith. Glad thats out, it’s been bugging me for a while.
    well it's quite clear that its not just the Sith who deal in absolutes. I mean according to the Jedi you either followed th "light" side or "dark" side. Thats pretty much an absolute.

ReputationRep:
    yoda had to deal in absolutes in order to train luke in such limited time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simatemcprimate)
    The other day I was watching Episode V, and I noticed that when Luke takes off from Dagobah to go to Bespin, Obi Wan says that he is the last hope. How has he forgotten about Leia, he was there when she was born?

Has anyone else seen anything strange in the movies that doen't seem right?
    Which is a better motivator? "Luke, if you fail the galaxy is doomed!" or "It's okay Luke, if you don't make it we've got a replacement. Just try your best."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    Which is a better motivator? "Luke, if you fail the galaxy is doomed!" or "It's okay Luke, if you don't make it we've got a replacement. Just try your best."
    Well he was talking to Yoda not to Luke. Also there is know try. You should know that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6+6=6)
    yoda had to deal in absolutes in order to train luke in such limited time.
    well the Jedi Order has pretty much always dealt in absolutes. Even in pre-Empire times.

ReputationRep:
    Well he was talking to Yoda not to Luke. Also there is know try. You should know that!
    Exactly, Luke had to be told to do it rather than try it. Luke wasn't ready when he rushed off to fight Darth Vader, and that is why he lost his hand and almost lost his life.

ReputationRep:
    But was it a good thing? That new hand of his saved his life quite a few times in the expanded universe books.

ReputationRep:
    But was it a good thing? That new hand of his saved his life quite a few times in the expanded universe books.
    The Force works in mysterious ways. But if he was fully trained he would have never gotten into those situations in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Also if he stayed with Yoda he could have learned much about the Jedi of the old republic which would have helped him when he made his Jedi Academy.

ReputationRep:
    Also if he stayed with Yoda he could have learned much about the Jedi of the old republic which would have helped him when he made his Jedi Academy.
    Not necessarily. The Jedi of the Old republic didn't know the true nature of the Force which Vergere later reveals to Jacen. Namely that there is no dark side of the force.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to see the future is, always changing. Yes, his mechanical hand has saved him from the likes of Grand Admiral Thrawn, but if he had finished his training rather than rushing off to face Vader, then perhaps he never would have ended up in a situation where he needed his mechanical hand to save him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.