Turn on thread page Beta

Eton Summer School watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone heard of the Eton Summer School? If they haven't and are thinking bout going for Oxbridge, I'd really recommend it. An incredible ten days if you're motivated enough. You meet loads of like minded people and can really explore the subjects you might like to study at Uni. The staff really go out of their way to help you explore your talents and interests. Anyone actually been on it?

cheers
    mast3486

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mast3486)
    Has anyone heard of the Eton Summer School? If they haven't and are thinking bout going for Oxbridge, I'd really recommend it. An incredible ten days if you're motivated enough. You meet loads of like minded people and can really explore the subjects you might like to study at Uni. The staff really go out of their way to help you explore your talents and interests. Anyone actually been on it?

cheers
    mast3486

I've been and its great. Richard by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    I've been and its great. Richard by any chance?
    Yeah! Whose this? What course did you do there?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Whose this? What course did you do there?

Rowan. I did biology. You were fantastic on the old guitar mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ralfskini)
    Rowan. I did biology. You were fantastic on the old guitar mate.
    Awite mate! Hows it going? Cheers for the compliment. You apply to oxbridge? Success? I gotta look 4 ya email adress. Think i cn get it off this site.

ReputationRep:
    Awite mate! Hows it going? Cheers for the compliment. You apply to oxbridge? Success? I gotta look 4 ya email adress. Think i can get it off this site.
    My email address is [email protected]

I applied to cambridge and was made an offer. Congratulations on getting into oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Is this one of those "Get into Oxbridge" courses?

ReputationRep:
    Eton also hold a choral summer school which I went on in the lower sixth. It seemed full of people who were intending to try for Oxbridge choral scholarships and was very intensive - they had you singing from 9 am til 10pm (in my view just a bit too long!). However, it was good fun, with plenty of variety, and at the end of the week we got to do a BBC radio broadcast live from the Eton chapel!

ReputationRep:
    Is is true its only open to private school students? or was that simply a myth?!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie Heskins)
    Is is true its only open to private school students? or was that simply a myth?!!
    Nope, just checked their website. It's only for state school students. Unfortunately, deadline for applications this year was 1st March. Sigh. It looked really good...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minta)
    Eton also hold a choral summer school which I went on in the lower sixth. It seemed full of people who were intending to try for Oxbridge choral scholarships and was very intensive - they had you singing from 9 am til 10pm (in my view just a bit too long!). However, it was good fun, with plenty of variety, and at the end of the week we got to do a BBC radio broadcast live from the Eton chapel!
    Yeah, nearly all the choral scholars here went on them. And they talk about them a lot. I was going to go, but it was too expensive. Went on two RSCM ones instead; singing morning and evening, adventure training in the afternoon - much more fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yeah, nearly all the choral scholars here went on them. And they talk about them a lot. I was going to go, but it was too expensive. Went on two RSCM ones instead; singing morning and evening, adventure training in the afternoon - much more fun!
    I went to Castlerigg Manor once in the lake district and had to sing stuff. It sucked donkey balls because we had to walk miles and miles in the pouring rain, then were forced to sing catholic stuff after tea, it was a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I went to Castlerigg Manor once in the lake district and had to sing stuff. It sucked donkey balls because we had to walk miles and miles in the pouring rain, then were forced to sing catholic stuff after tea, it was a joke.

Sounds like Lowood in Jane Eyre... and you had to pay for it?

ReputationRep:
    You were a choirboy?

We sang a mix of different kinds of church music, some very traditional, including psalms :mad: some more modern (i.e. written in the 20th century) and some Taizé stuff. I really enjoyed it, but I'm sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Sounds like Lowood in Jane Eyre... and you had to pay for it?
    No it was free. Although we did really because it would have been part of our school fees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    You were a choirboy?

We sang a mix of different kinds of church music, some very traditional, including psalms :mad: some more modern (i.e. written in the 20th century) and some Taizé stuff. I really enjoyed it, but I'm sad.
    Nah dude, I aint no choir boy, I just went to a religious school, check out castlerigg manors website, its a catholic retreat place. Some of the stuff we did was cool, we had to have mass like 3 times a day though, that sucked big time.

http://www.castleriggmanor.com/

ReputationRep:
    Nah dude, I aint no choir boy, I just went to a religious school, check out castlerigg manors website, its a catholic retreat place. Some of the stuff we did was cool, we had to have mass like 3 times a day though, that sucked big time.

URGH, full blown Mass with sermon and all? That's nasty. I've never heard of whole schools going on retreat before - thought it was more generally a personal thing. Guess it's somewhat different from the choir courses I went on.

ReputationRep:

were there any dodgy catholic priests at stonyhurst? One of our chaplains has a really really sick mind; more twisted than any of the boys. he's a great laugh though and a great gossiper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amexblack)
    were there any dodgy catholic priests at stonyhurst? One of our chaplains has a really really sick mind; more twisted than any of the boys. he's a great laugh though and a great gossiper
    Just about. About 5 years ago it came out in the news (national) that in the 60's/70's etc the priests were bumming the school boys. It only came out then because the last person who was suspected had finnished teaching.

If you have ever seen Chris Morris's Brass Eye program on Paedophiles, well Chris Morris went to Stonyhurst, it was a blatent get back at all the priests who had commited such acts in the past at the school. Bloody funny as well

ReputationRep:
    Just about. About 5 years ago it came out in the news (national) that in the 60's/70's etc the priests were bumming the school boys. It only came out then because the last person who was suspected had finnished teaching.

If you have ever seen Chris Morris's Brass Eye program on Paedophiles, well Chris Morris went to Stonyhurst, it was a blatent get back at all the priests who had commited such acts in the past at the school. Bloody funny as well
    My housemaster told me about a latin teacher at some northern prep school that used to force students to take off a piece of clothing for each wrong answer they got in a test.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.