The Student Room Group

Eton Summer School

Has anyone heard of the Eton Summer School? If they haven't and are thinking bout going for Oxbridge, I'd really recommend it. An incredible ten days if you're motivated enough. You meet loads of like minded people and can really explore the subjects you might like to study at Uni. The staff really go out of their way to help you explore your talents and interests. Anyone actually been on it?

cheers
mast3486

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mast3486
Has anyone heard of the Eton Summer School? If they haven't and are thinking bout going for Oxbridge, I'd really recommend it. An incredible ten days if you're motivated enough. You meet loads of like minded people and can really explore the subjects you might like to study at Uni. The staff really go out of their way to help you explore your talents and interests. Anyone actually been on it?

cheers
mast3486

I've been and its great. Richard by any chance?
Reply 2
Ralfskini
I've been and its great. Richard by any chance?

Yeah! Whose this? What course did you do there?
Reply 3
mast3486
Yeah! Whose this? What course did you do there?

Rowan. I did biology. You were fantastic on the old guitar mate. :wink:
Reply 4
Ralfskini
Rowan. I did biology. You were fantastic on the old guitar mate. :wink:

Awite mate! Hows it going? Cheers for the compliment. You apply to oxbridge? Success? I gotta look 4 ya email adress. Think i cn get it off this site.
Reply 5
mast3486
Awite mate! Hows it going? Cheers for the compliment. You apply to oxbridge? Success? I gotta look 4 ya email adress. Think i can get it off this site.

My email address is [email protected]

I applied to cambridge and was made an offer. Congratulations on getting into oxford.
Reply 6
Is this one of those "Get into Oxbridge" courses?
Reply 7
Eton also hold a choral summer school which I went on in the lower sixth. It seemed full of people who were intending to try for Oxbridge choral scholarships and was very intensive - they had you singing from 9 am til 10pm (in my view just a bit too long!). However, it was good fun, with plenty of variety, and at the end of the week we got to do a BBC radio broadcast live from the Eton chapel!
Reply 8
Is is true its only open to private school students? or was that simply a myth?!!
Katie Heskins
Is is true its only open to private school students? or was that simply a myth?!!

Nope, just checked their website. It's only for state school students. Unfortunately, deadline for applications this year was 1st March. Sigh. It looked really good...
Reply 10
Minta
Eton also hold a choral summer school which I went on in the lower sixth. It seemed full of people who were intending to try for Oxbridge choral scholarships and was very intensive - they had you singing from 9 am til 10pm (in my view just a bit too long!). However, it was good fun, with plenty of variety, and at the end of the week we got to do a BBC radio broadcast live from the Eton chapel!

Yeah, nearly all the choral scholars here went on them. And they talk about them a lot. I was going to go, but it was too expensive. Went on two RSCM ones instead; singing morning and evening, adventure training in the afternoon - much more fun!
Helenia
Yeah, nearly all the choral scholars here went on them. And they talk about them a lot. I was going to go, but it was too expensive. Went on two RSCM ones instead; singing morning and evening, adventure training in the afternoon - much more fun!

I went to Castlerigg Manor once in the lake district and had to sing stuff. It sucked donkey balls because we had to walk miles and miles in the pouring rain, then were forced to sing catholic stuff after tea, it was a joke.
Reply 12
Joey_Johns
I went to Castlerigg Manor once in the lake district and had to sing stuff. It sucked donkey balls because we had to walk miles and miles in the pouring rain, then were forced to sing catholic stuff after tea, it was a joke.

Sounds like Lowood in Jane Eyre... and you had to pay for it?
Reply 13
Joey_Johns

You were a choirboy? :tongue:

We sang a mix of different kinds of church music, some very traditional, including psalms :mad: some more modern (i.e. written in the 20th century) and some Taizé stuff. I really enjoyed it, but I'm sad.
blissy
Sounds like Lowood in Jane Eyre... and you had to pay for it?

No it was free. Although we did really because it would have been part of our school fees.
Helenia
You were a choirboy? :tongue:

We sang a mix of different kinds of church music, some very traditional, including psalms :mad: some more modern (i.e. written in the 20th century) and some Taizé stuff. I really enjoyed it, but I'm sad.

Nah dude, I aint no choir boy, I just went to a religious school, check out castlerigg manors website, its a catholic retreat place. Some of the stuff we did was cool, we had to have mass like 3 times a day though, that sucked big time.

http://www.castleriggmanor.com/
Reply 16
Joey_Johns
Nah dude, I aint no choir boy, I just went to a religious school, check out castlerigg manors website, its a catholic retreat place. Some of the stuff we did was cool, we had to have mass like 3 times a day though, that sucked big time.

URGH, full blown Mass with sermon and all? That's nasty. I've never heard of whole schools going on retreat before - thought it was more generally a personal thing. Guess it's somewhat different from the choir courses I went on.
Reply 17
Joey_Johns

were there any dodgy catholic priests at stonyhurst? One of our chaplains has a really really sick mind; more twisted than any of the boys. he's a great laugh though and a great gossiper :biggrin:
amexblack
were there any dodgy catholic priests at stonyhurst? One of our chaplains has a really really sick mind; more twisted than any of the boys. he's a great laugh though and a great gossiper :biggrin:

Just about. About 5 years ago it came out in the news (national) that in the 60's/70's etc the priests were bumming the school boys. It only came out then because the last person who was suspected had finnished teaching.

If you have ever seen Chris Morris's Brass Eye program on Paedophiles, well Chris Morris went to Stonyhurst, it was a blatent get back at all the priests who had commited such acts in the past at the school. Bloody funny as well :smile:
Reply 19
Joey_Johns
Just about. About 5 years ago it came out in the news (national) that in the 60's/70's etc the priests were bumming the school boys. It only came out then because the last person who was suspected had finnished teaching.

If you have ever seen Chris Morris's Brass Eye program on Paedophiles, well Chris Morris went to Stonyhurst, it was a blatent get back at all the priests who had commited such acts in the past at the school. Bloody funny as well :smile:

My housemaster told me about a latin teacher at some northern prep school that used to force students to take off a piece of clothing for each wrong answer they got in a test.

Latest

Trending

Trending