Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok i need to buy a good biology A2 book to study/revise from. i really liked the collins green AS books but i dont think they do them for A2. can someone please recommend a good book similar in style- (easy to learn language)

thanx in advance

ps im doing edexel!

ReputationRep:
    What exam board are you with?

If OCR, then "essential ocr biology" is good. Author = "Toole"

ReputationRep:
    its def edexcel yeah shame collins didnt do ones for a2 aswell as AS the ones at AS were all you needed...i can send you notes for bio unit 4 core and 5 if you want them just PM me. they are edexcel specific and the unit 4 notes cover everything in the core section...for the option you'd have to make your own notes but the option shouldnt be too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne-Dahling)
    What exam board are you with?

If OCR, then "essential ocr biology" is good. Author = "Toole"
    doing edexcel

ReputationRep:
    Longmans advance biology A2 version (they have an AS version as well). This baby is such a good textbook, in the beginning of the chapter it has a brief introduction about what you will learn. It is 100% colour, it has questions throughout the topics, it has some 'amazing facts' stuff (which could be useful for the essay bit), at the end of each chapter there's a summary page, as well as sample past papers from all boards. This textbook is for all boards, and it has a special key telling you precisely what you need to know. All the questions in the book have answers in the back.

ReputationRep:
    that book has 450+ pages according to amazon. isnt there a good book that has half of that so i can actuallly remember the stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The-Wrestling-Fanatic)
    that book has 450+ pages according to amazon. isnt there a good book that has half of that so i can actuallly remember the stuff
    I regard it more as a resource, rather than learning completely off it.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced Biology is excellent

ReputationRep:
    Ditto!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neo~)
    Advanced Biology is excellent
    (Original post by Neo~)
    Ditto!
    :p: lol

ReputationRep:
    Hehe :p:

ReputationRep:
    any others?

ReputationRep:
    Really random, but I like a book called 'Biological Science 1&2' (NPO Green, GW Stout, DJ Taylor.) Its an old Alevel style book, about 900 pages long, but its really useful, and really detailed. Its not so much a revision guide, but I've found it good for research, background reading etc. It was used at my school as a textbook until the system changed to AS/A2. I think some unis now use it as a textbook.

ReputationRep:
    Dont buy LETTS BIOLOGY. Advanced bio is way too thick and heavy. NAS is stupid. Buy Collins AQA bio books. Similar in style and they overlap most of the topics. Some topics arent covered but major topics are covered. Thats the best thing i can say. I live in Oman so i specially ordered them from the U.K and it was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    Advanced bio is way too thick and heavy.
    So? ^o) It's not supposed to be a revision guide.

ReputationRep:
    could always try our good friends CGP... i got the edexcel specific version from school.... it doesn't go into too much detail but its not too bad for checking you've got everything covered. that is if you can stand the jokes

ReputationRep:
    Yeah sometimes the jokes are SO pathetic, dont know what the author might have been thinking at that time.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.