The Student Room Group

Looking for Advice with moving forward.

Hey there, long time reader of thee forums but first time posting.

I'll explain my circumstance first and then if you guys can give me some advice on where I can go from here - especially in regards to going to University that would be great.

Okay, so let's start from A levels.

(August 2011) While predicited ABB, I ended up with BCD due to a stressful situation at home and although I didn't request for exceptional circumstances because I didn't believe I fell into that category, I still don't feel as though I do now.

(2011/2012) While I didn't get on the course I wanted I was offered a placement on a similar course for a foundation year, I lapped up the offer especially with the rise in fee's about to come in, but after a few months on the course I decided that this was not the career or degree I wanted to pursue and instead dropped out.

Following my drop-out, over the summer I had a large operation on my jaw taking most of my time, however, I took up the opportunity to get myself onto a paid work placement in an area relevant to the career path I want to pursue - engineering.

I've just recently started this placement in the last few weeks and am enjoying it very much thus-far. However, I don't know how I will be able to go from this onto a degree course. Financially, it almost seems an impossibility as I will essentially be going in with nothing as I will be using the majority of my earnings to help cover the cost of living for my Mum and Brother. This in turn with my poor A level results leave me feeling disheartened and while I have 12 months of security with this job, I do not know where I will go from here.

Sorry if I have rambled on a little, I'm quite new to all of this and it's been a hectic few months and am anxious regarding my future. :s-smilie:

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 1
Sorry no ones replied to you yet, its probably its just such a particular set of circumstances that people don't really know what to advise you, I don't really know either Im afraid, but will try and help.

In terms of finances you should still be eligible for the full student loan I think as they allow for four years of study - to allow for placement years and change of mind about course. So hopefully that will mean you can manage?

A levels etc wise I'm afraid I know nothing about engineering, but could you retake some of them this year on an adult night course in order to get the grades you need?

Maybe it would be worth talking to your nearest connexions centre if you are able to?
Sorry you've been having such bad luck, hope it starts to turn around for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending