Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology AQA A2 Coursework Hypothesis watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am having trouble creating a correct hypothesis, I have asked my psychology teacher and he tells me that my hypothesis is incorrect but not why! :confused: He suggests that I should basically go off and think about it on my own without any help from him. I've tried to do this and am getting no where fast, I would really appreciate some help.

My experiment is investigating the effect of pro active interference (forgetting due to interference where previous learning interferes with current learning/recall) in S.T.M and is as follows:

Present participants with 3 digit numbers e.g 154 (the stimuli), there will be three 3 digit numbers present all at once.
    Participants are given 3 seconds to look at the stimuli, and then the stimuli are taken away.

Each participant has an 8 second retention interval, during this time participants are given an interference task (counting backwards from a 2 digit number e.g 50) this to prevent rehearsal.

Participants are then asked to recall digits using free recall after each trial.

The above is repeated four times.

Group 1 and Group 2 use the same method up until the fourth trial when:

Group 1's stimuli will change from 3 digits to 3 letter names e.g Jim.
    Group 2's stimuli will stay the same i.e. 3 digits.

My experiment should show a steady decrease for group 1 in recall accuracy from trial 1- trial 3 due to pro active interference, during trial four their recall should improve due to pro active interference release i.e. as there is little similarity between the 2 stimuli there should be no/little interference so recall should improve.
    Group 2's recall should continue to diminish from trial 1 to 4 due to the similarity of the information presented causing pro active interference.

My hypothesis is as follows:

Alternative: The number of stimuli recalled in the fourth trial will be greater when the item class is changed.

Null Hypothesis: The change of stimuli in the fourth trail will have no effect on the number of items recalled correctly.

I think the IV is the type of stimuli and DV is the number of items recalled correctly, is this correct?

Thanks
    fivebyfive

ReputationRep:
    well my teacher said the null hypothesis should be exactly the same as your alternative hyp but with the word 'not' in it.

so your null hyp should be:
    The number of stimuli recalled in the fourth trial will NOT be greater when the item class is changed.

thats what i did with mine.
    and your IV/DV seems to be correct

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but he seemed to suggest that my experimental hypothesis was wrong is well. Can anyone see y?

ReputationRep:
    i cant see why its wrong.
    have u tried asking another psych teacher as that one wont help. or say u have tried to figure it out but u still need help.

also if u need help on the rest of your coursework this should help

http://www.aqa.org.uk/qual/pdf/AQA-5181-6181-SSD.pdf

go to page 74

its from the exam board and it may not help with your hyp but it says how long each section should be and what should be included in each section.
    its also got a model investigation that got full marks for each section.

check it out and lemme know how it goes

ReputationRep:
    the null hypothesis should be:

The number of stimuli recalled in the fourth trial will NOT be greater when the item class is changed, any change is purely due to chance.

ReputationRep:
    OK, There is a problem with your hypothesis.

YOu have to be really specific and mention your sample group.
    For instance

People aged ? to ? will show a better recall when ? than when ?

something along the lines of that.
    the hypothesis must be readable and understandable, so that someone can read JUST your hypothesis and know what you want to investigate. Just mentioning "fourth trial" doesn't make sense, you need to be highly specific and write it so that a third party would understand it without having to read any intro.

Based on the one u have, this is how it should be written:

"The number of stimuli recalled by (state sample group) will be greater when (state exact experimental situation which participants will experience) than when (state control situation) "

You seem to have the IV and DV correct. Just remember that the IV is what YOU manipulate and the DV is dependent on the change in the IV. Your hypothesis should also refer to just ONE IV and ONE DV. If you have more than one DV, you will need 2 experimental hypotheses.

P.S. Your psych teacher sounds like a real ****.

ReputationRep:
    And the thing sprite said:
    "well my teacher said the null hypothesis should be exactly the same as your alternative hyp but with the word 'not' in it."
    that isn't exactly a correct understand of a null hypothesis.
    When formulating your null hypothesis, you have to write it so that, if your experimental/alternative hypothesis is not proved, your null hypothesis must be accepted. So you have to write a relatively broad null hypothesis to account for any other change that happens. The only reason the null hypothesis is there, is so that ONE of your hypothesis can be accepted if the experimental hyp fails.

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.