Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

At a traffic light do you... watch

• View Poll Results: at trafiic lights what do you do?
    In neutral (handbrake on)
    23.26%
    In gear
    68.60%
    I don't drive but love polls
    8.14%

ReputationRep:
    I had 2 instructors while learning to drive, my first had no problem with me being in gear at the lights while the second was very adament about me being in neutral with the handbrake on, his reasons were a) you are in more control of the car, if your foot slips for example b)less wear on the clutch.

Was just wondering what you do and what you were taught? Since passing 18 months ago I've always sat in gear, just so I'm more ready to go (especially at quick lights grr)

ReputationRep:
    when i asked my instructor he said that if i was one of the first few cars in the line of traffic, i should stay in gears but other than that, i could (not should) go in neutral - but having said that, i always stay in gear (but i havent taken my test yet so dont take my word for it!)

ReputationRep:
    The correct method is to do whatever the hell your current instructors says to do. Once you've passed, do what feels more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Mine stays in gear. Mind you its an automatic so its really a case of stop and go!

ReputationRep:
    For your test, if your going to be at the lights for any amount of time, handbrake and then neutral.

I usually keep it in gear unless I know i'l be there for a while.

ReputationRep:
    When I was learning in a manual, my instructor just told me to leave it in gear at lights. Now i've passed, I just leave my auto in 'D' the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap didn't read the first post - you would have to put the handbrake on if lights don't have the potential of changing in 6 - 10 seconds.
    I said the other, because thats what I always do, regardless of what old men with white beards tell me.

ReputationRep:
    ...My instructor says to just always leave it in gear...then you're ready to move off quicker...if you've been there a bit then he says to put the handbrake on but he's never said about putting it in neutral...

ReputationRep:
    When I see traffic light from distant on red, I try slow down considerably hoping by the time i reach it , it would have changed(im lazy). Once at traffic light though I would just keep in gear unless I know I am in for long wait then I do neutral.

Does anyone else get pissed off in the morning when light changes and the first car takes like 5-10seconds to pull off ? By the time three cars pass the traffic lights on red again, considering if everyone paid attention a good 10cars could have going through.

ReputationRep:
    I stay in gear usually, unless it's a set of lights that I know take ages to change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    I stay in gear usually, unless it's a set of lights that I know take ages to change.
    I think it depends on the lights, who your with (i.e. - with instructor you do as they say) but there is no law *touchwood* about being in or out of gear when at the set of lights.

If its lights that take awhile to change or I am at the end of the line then I put it in neutral and put the handbrake on and wait it out. Otherwise I stay in gear or slow down hoping they will change. Of course if it’s a hill start I stay in gear, handbrake on ready to go.

Smart replies by auto people there. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    :ditto:

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    With me it depends on the circumstances, if it was a junction which typical required stopping for a long time then I would be in nautral but if it was a junction where the lights changed quickly I would stay in first.

ReputationRep:
    There's no option for 'look at what's next to you, rev engine/bip horn, make eye contact, nod in direction of travel/ flick the V's if Police, and then stall when lights go green.' Please amend.

ReputationRep:
    Handbrake and neutral. Don't wana wear my clutch out thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Depends. But if I am in neutral, I get in gear when I see the amber light

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I stay in gear and only use the hadbrake if im going to roll back or want to be very ready to start off again. I've only had 3 lessons tho so I may find that once I am more confident I will be able to put it in neuteral

ReputationRep:
    My instructor always said to be in neutral with handbrake and hands on the steering wheel.

However now ive passed i usually put it into neutral with handbrake if theres like 2+ people infront of me otherwise i leave it in gear.

This is so i can get a quick start when they change.

If you can see the lights in the other direction though then i put in into neutral as then you can get into gear just before your lights change
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    The handbrake is supposed to minimise the damage if some nupty comes plowing into the back of the queue (if everyone has handbrake on then fewer cars affected/less chance of the front cars being pushed out into moving traffic).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan)
    Handbrake and neutral. Don't wana wear my clutch out thanks.
    This is the precise reason why people should up the handbrake and put it into neutral. This is the correct answer.

However, on the realist side of things, to wear out your clutch by putting your holding it down at the lights will take 70000 miles :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.