Turn on thread page Beta

Key skills - A joke or something worthwhile? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is key skills really useful at all?

ReputationRep:
    A JOKE - especially since they offer UCAS points but no decent university will accept them.

Its probably the most worthless qualification you can get.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A complete joke, im my experience.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have to do them myself, but unless you're forced to, I wouldn't bother. They seem very basic and as far as I know, good universities don't even look at them.

A joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    A joke.
    It's not even a funny joke!

ReputationRep:
    The only one i would say could be vaguely useful is IT- as everyone's said, unis won't care about it, but if you ever apply for a job that requires computer skills it looks good on a CV to be able to quote an actual qualification...helped me get a part time research assistant job at uni. Plus the skills you learn can be useful- i know a lot more about using excel, powerpoint etc than friends at uni who didnt take key skills, which has been useful on my course.

ReputationRep:
    A joke for most people that have got extremely good GCSEs in their main subjects that will be useful to them in later life, but it is actually useful for those who are going to college, as you aren't allowed to enter on most courses if you haven't got Level 1 at least

ReputationRep:
    For most people its a waste of time, but my head of sixth form swears that every year it saves at least one person from our school from not getting a uni place at all. Last year 2 people (out of a year group of under 100) both missed their firm offer, and only got into their insurance because of the UCAS points provided by key skills. I know thats a small percentage, but I guess it does mean the subject isn't a complete waste of time. Sadly it's still compulsory at my school (I assume its the same at most other state schools.) I don't reckon its completely useless, but it should defiantely be optional...

ReputationRep:
    They are a joke however if your grades in English, Maths and I.T are lower than a C it may be worthwhile doing them.

ReputationRep:
    They are a joke. I wasted 2 periods a week typing out letters and formatting pictures etc.

And like what someone has previously said, hardly any university accepts them.

I sat my KeySkills Exam the other week, to display the level of intelligence you need to answer most of the questions, here is a question I had to answer..

How do you enter a paragraph of text onto your document (something along the lines of that! Not a direct quote!)

• Scanner
    • Keyboard
    • Digital Camera
    • The Internet

The exam also lasted for an hour? Everyone in the hall finished it after 20mins. I had the time to answer the questions once, on the question paper, then answered them on the answer paper, also checking if both my answers correlated. Then I had a weird dream about planes..

ReputationRep:
    absolute joke. In my IT key skills class we learnt how to open a Word document and copy and paste. That took 70 mins. We then continued to learn exactly what we'd known for about 5 years. I ended up with a qualification no uni even registers.

I also did communication key skills without really realising and passed that too. Again, useless.

ReputationRep:
    a complete and absoulutely not so funny joke....i laugh at people who do it cos they waste their time and then their parents go around telling people the kid does ICT key skills and people reply "well done".

ReputationRep:
    a joke

ReputationRep:
    We've never actually done them. However, I think acheivement in key skills is encouraged at some univerisities for UCAS points.

ReputationRep:
    i done key skills communication for AS then found out that the uni i applied to didnt even accept key skills...so its a joke!

ReputationRep:
    Last year, when I thought it was useful I actually did my key skills but this year after finding out I failed it (one of my sources was unacceptable apparently) I just haven’t bothered with it. In fact I think the deadline for the coursework was the other week and it still lying on my desk in the same place I put it when I got it back last September, shows you how much of a joke I NOW think it is

ReputationRep:
    Pointless. Waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    A joke. I took two computer based GCSE qualifications (Business and Communication Systems, ICT) and still was made to take Key Skills Level 3 ICT- and it was easier than the GCSEs I took!

ReputationRep:
    A complete joke for most people, but I can see how some people may benefit.

Last year, I had A* in GCSE English Language and was made to do Communication. It was stuff my little sisters are doing in year 8, like how to write a letter.

This year, have AA in Applied GCSE ICT, A in AS Computing and was made to do ICT Key Skills. Got really annoyed with the whole thing and haven't been since January (fortunately I don't get EMA so they can't threaten me in that respect!). When I did used to go I'd sometimes end up teaching the class!

Ah well, I guess my college need the £700 per person. Gits.

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.