Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, just a quick heads-up that as from today, Scottish students can apply for their financial support from SAAS (Student Awards Agency for Scotland) for the 2006/2007 academic year

(http://www.saas.gov.uk/)

I think you can still apply with paper forms but they prefer you to do it online.

I got a SAAS-information cd rom from my Uni about a month ago which featured a really annoying woman shouting at me about 50 times to "pull my finger out" and visit the SAAS website and apply NOW NO DELAYS but it is only from today that you can apply :p:

ReputationRep:
    Heh heh, got that same CD.

ReputationRep:
    How about EU-students?

ReputationRep:
    I *think* EU students can apply to SAAS have their tuition fees paid.....have a root around the website
    (http://www.saas.gov.uk/personal_elig...y.htm#personal)

I'm not sure about things like loans and grants for EU students, though....

Everybody else, you're all eligible for SAAS to pay your tuition fees (with perhaps a few minor exceptions) but you have to actively apply to them for this to happen - if you don't, you might end up £1000+ out of pocket!

Jeez, I realise I'm starting to sound like that annoying APPLY NOW NO DELAY woman on the SAAS cd-rom......:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I'll leave it til the last minute and get my first loan installment late as usual. It's not very much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LibertineNorth)
    Meh, I'll leave it til the last minute and get my first loan installment late as usual. It's not very much anyway.
    you can't be as bad as my flatmate who only applied when the uni got stroppy with her in like january cos her fees hadn't been paid... for some reason she wasn't that arsed about getting a student loan last year *weirdo*

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by javalinnn)
    How about EU-students?
    Yeah you can apply online. It's very easy and you will receive your award notice about 1-2 weeks after submitting your application.

ReputationRep:
    you still need to print out, sign, & send away part of the application if you do it online though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broughy)
    you still need to print out, sign, & send away part of the application if you do it online though
    I know! What fud thought that one up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by broughy)
    No you don't.

One of the main benefits we've introduced this year is that we can now accept online applications without you having to print off the form to sign it and send it to us. This saves you time and postage costs as well as making it much easier and quicker for us to deal with your application.

ReputationRep:
    About. Bloody. Time.

ReputationRep:
    Actually threre are two forms that you have to print and post to them. (At least in my application there was.) Something for checking the residence eligibility. This might be only for the EU students, though.

ReputationRep:
    Salla, I asked them about it and their reply was:

-Do I need to send a certified photocopy of my passport to
    SAAS? (or anything else?)

-No you do not need to send this information into us if you are an EU
    national and have never lived anywhere other than the EU.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I don't know about passport but I'm going to send those two forms to them because it said so in the online application and the papers say the application won't be processed until the information is sent to them.. Didn't it say anything like that when you applied?

they could have meant that you don't have to send any extra stuff to them, but that you have to send the forms they asked for in a part of the application. (It might be different, I'm not sure.)

ReputationRep:
    You cannot make an online claim because you did not enter your SAAS Student Reference Number when you registered with the web service. Please enter your reference number, using the Maintain My Details and Profile service, and then re-try.
    How do I get a SAAS student reference number?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salla)
    Well, I don't know about passport but I'm going to send those two forms to them because it said so in the online application and the papers say the application won't be processed until the information is sent to them.. Didn't it say anything like that when you applied?

they could have meant that you don't have to send any extra stuff to them, but that you have to send the forms they asked for in a part of the application. (It might be different, I'm not sure.)
    Since you are an EU student (but not Scottish) you can only apply for tuition fees support and you don't have to print your application nor send them any photocopies unless you have mentioned something that you must prove, as stated on: https://www.saas.gov.uk/services/onl...nCoverNote.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pass_the_metro)
    How do I get a SAAS student reference number?
    The reference number will be mentioned in the award notice.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, whatever. I think I'll e-mail to SAAS, just to be sure. I don't want to screw this up. :P (I still see it a bit contradictory that when filling the online application, they say clearly that two other forms should be filled and sent to them and no mention about why NOT to send them.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wιzard)
    The reference number will be mentioned in the award notice.
    sorry to be a pain, but what exactly is the award notice? the letter from my uni of choice confirming i have firmly accepted an offer?

ReputationRep:
    I think he's assuming that you've previously got stuff from SAAS.

If you haven't, then I think you're filling out the wrong form if it's asking you for a reference number.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 14, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles

Official student finance zone

Quick Link

Unanswered SAAS Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.