Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a chance of still doing medicine if I do Maths and Chemsitry A2.
    Any unis accept me still, say if I get an A in Biology GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Check out the requirements, there are some that don't stipulate Biology as a requirement, but I'm too tired to list them at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    well to be honest biology would help greatly if you were to study it...because your bound to cover the stuff you come across in human biology again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    well to be honest biology would help greatly if you were to study it...because your bound to cover the stuff you come across in human biology again

Have to agree to Iceman.

It is not essential to have biology to enter all medical schools (have a look at the various entry requirements to see which ones you can apply for). However, it will make your 1st year so much harder if you have not done biology as it really is the most relevant subject.

Is it not possible to an AS in Biology/Human Biology this year?

ReputationRep:
    ^^ if you do decide to just do an AS then ensure you choose general biology rather than human biology...ive been told just studying human biology will help you that much when it comes down to university choices

ReputationRep:
    Biology suprisingly isn't the most important subject for medicine entry, chemistry is. There used to be some universities which allow you to apply with an A in Chemistry A2 and if you don't have Biology, you would of needed an A for it at GCSE, which you have. I'm not sure if it has changed this year, but it is probable due to the increased competition for med places. I know for sure Newcastle did, and I think brighton & sussex med school.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Yr11. I just fiond Biology a little bit hard, and can't see myself getting an A in it, which I want as I am not sure what I will do at uni yet, but to get into LSE etc to do Economics which is one of my options, 4 A's at AS is important. I know some unis need you to take Bio minimum at AS.

ReputationRep:
    if its economics i dunno why you will need biology

ReputationRep:
    Medical schools often like to see a range of A levels, shows you're not just a scientist, you have a wider academic interest etc. Biology As/A2 isn't essential at all (eg Oxford only ask for Chemistry). See this thread (stickied at the top of the forum) for entry requirements of UK medical schools. In general, biology A level isn't essential, but having at least an AS will make your life easier both during and after applying.

If you're struggling with biology at the moment, are you going to be able to cope with the course at university? Just a thought, I'd discuss it with your teachers, see what they honestly think you'll get if you took it at AS/A2 level. For now, stick at the revision (which I should be doing - I need those As!), and get yourself good GCSE grades.

ReputationRep:
    Helpful (but useless beyond the first couple of months from my understanding), but not essential. Don't fret.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanna do medicine it might be worth just giving AS a try and remember, normally unis don't have to see your AS results

ReputationRep:
    From next year (2007 entry), they'll be able to see all your module results if they sign up to this service through UCAS, so actually they will be able to tell what you have/would have at AS even if you didn't cash it in.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ eww thats annoying

ReputationRep:
    Apparently next year all universities will see your AS results as you will have to put your UMS marks in your application.

A few universities don't require Biology A level, Manchester included. However, apparently there are only ten people in my whole year that didn't do it; thats in a year of about 360.

I'd do Biology to at least AS if I were you; if only to make topics such as genetics and cell biology quicker to pick up.

ReputationRep:
    woah that's crazy

And I'm pretty sure in my year only one person who applied for medicine didn't do A2 Biology, but he still had AS Bio and got 4 rejections

ReputationRep:
    i got an A in biology gcse but i didnt like plants and stuff which is mostly what we did in biology so i thought it would be crap at A level and i didnt do it. i still got into med school though cos if the uni says they dont require A level biology then they really mean it, otherwise they wouldnt say do. first term was a bit harder for me than everyone else, but by 2nd term i'd caught up and everything was fine. so dont worry, you don't need biology. its nice to have it, makes things a bit easier but its really no big deal, they teach everything from the beginning anyway.

ReputationRep:
    well , ive talked to many people about this.

yes, for some stupid reason , unis seem to prefer and stipulate you have chem and allow you to get away with having AS bio.However surely bio is MUCH MUCH more relevant for medicine than chem , and really i cant see why you would want to do medcine if ur not doing biology/ dont enjoy biology ?!!!???!!?? .

ReputationRep:
    do a2 it helps...u need AS 4 defo....i didnt do a2 and found some of it quite hard while others finidn it ezzz

ReputationRep:
    is it...
    i mite av to read up in the holz , only if im well bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Madprof)
    From next year (2007 entry), they'll be able to see all your module results if they sign up to this service through UCAS, so actually they will be able to tell what you have/would have at AS even if you didn't cash it in.
    will they be able to see what you've re-sat aswell?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 17, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.