Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there like a choice, back home where im from at the caf u got like 3 choices watever, either the salad stuff, the alternative meal like some basic sandwich or somethin, or the meal of the day like watever they cooked and stuff... how is it at the halls and stuff wat to expect, wat if im allergic to somethin, wat are some the stuff served and everythin:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Well... there's lots of discussion about this in the other threads about accommodation.

But hall food is not great. It is generally fairly... edible. Sort of.

Allergies aren't great! But there's generally SOMETHING to eat...

You get about three choices for the main meal, normally two of which are veggie, and then there's the salad bar as well. On bad nights, the salad bar runs out. There is always pizza takeaway. Remember this and you will survive.

ReputationRep:
    What times are meals served? Silly inconvenitent hours or not?

ReputationRep:
    breakfast all week = 8-9.30
    lunch mon-fri = 12.30-1.30
    dinner mon-fri = 6-7pm

sat lunch = 12-1
    sat dinner= 5-6

sun lunch = 12.30-1.30
    sun dinner = 5-6pm

i think those are the times, and they are only inconvenient if you have a lecture on the other side of campus over lunch time or whatever!

The food is edible, sometimes even nice, most times pretty bland, sometimes disgusting lol

you will never starve, unless you dont like potatoes lol

ReputationRep:
    Thanks exmoorkatie Now im just crossing my fingers hoping I get uni park (was my 1st 2nd and 3rd choice)!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RachelBabyfrog)
    But hall food is not great. It is generally fairly... edible. Sort of.
    Normally that's the problem with all uni right? I just hope they are nutritious

ReputationRep:
    I've put on a stone since Christmas. So, yeah.

Although that may have been more to do with all the Spice Hut kebabs and Dino's pizzas.

ReputationRep:
    the whole aspect of food in catered halls is pants, the queuing, the people that cut in line, the meal times clashing with people that actually have lectures timetables, the general bland quality of the food. Given a second chance I would have chosen self catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheVlad)
    I've put on a stone since Christmas.
    what is a stone in kg?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kashiya)
    what is a stone in kg?

ReputationRep:
    The food isnt as bad as some people make it out to be .. just grin and bear it and get ready to take vitamin supplements as they cant cook veg to save themselves!!

ReputationRep:
    Do they ever have formal dinners like they do at Oxbridge and some other halls at various places? That'd be quite cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by philjw)
    Do they ever have formal dinners like they do at Oxbridge and some other halls at various places? That'd be quite cool.
    Weekly at Hu Stu; it varies in other halls - Derby has them fairly often, but most halls have them once or twice a term.

ReputationRep:
    i think you can get packed lunches and supper if you know in advance youre gonna miss a meal

ReputationRep:
    Correct. And there is a salad bar thingy in Hustu at lunch times, was at dinner also but abolished it.

ReputationRep:
    The food isn't SO bad. There's quite a big choice, so there's usually something for everyone. If you get there early you usually get more of a choice. They also give you treats like mars bar ice-creams every so often!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dave-o)
    the whole aspect of food in catered halls is pants, the queuing, the people that cut in line, the meal times clashing with people that actually have lectures timetables, the general bland quality of the food. Given a second chance I would have chosen self catered.
    Well said, I seriously regret the day I thought living in catered accomodation would be great!

ReputationRep:
    It's well worth it. I'm an arts student so i always get lunch and i hardly ever get up for breakfast, which makes things easier. I've never got fed up with it here because of the food, there's so much more to being in halls than that. xx

ReputationRep:
    yup i agree, the food's not all that, but who's complaning? you can get packed lunch, or at worse, eat chips all year!!! halls have a great atmosphere that is defo worth comprimising the food for.

ReputationRep:
    A fellow waldener at notts, gotta be pretty good then.
    Which halls are you in?
    I live in the middle of town probs seen you out?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.