Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    As some of you may remember, I posted a few months ago regarding my very dishonourable landlord and the fact he witheld our deposits on false grounds, ie, that we had broken furniture, left items and damaged kitchen worksurfaces...

Well we had the court hearing today, and I won!!
    The judge appeared quite disgusted the case had even got to court, bearing in mind the landlord had failed to co-operate / offer explanation of the `damage` deductions, had no evidence, couldn't answer my questions (or the judge's) and was basically a waste of space. They didn't even bother sending the actual owner - who was named on the court papers - they sent a useless manager.

So beware!

My ex-housemate is writing a piece for the Leeds Student, for publication during next years Dec / Jan househunting rush (we can now name the property agency publicly now we have a judgement in our favour - he really didn't think this through) but if anyone wants the agency's name before, so you know who to avoid, just PM me.

And for students renting...
    * Always photograph every inch of the property upon moving in and moving out
    * Report any slight breakage / damage / something not working promptly
    * Keep records of everything regarding the property
    * INSIST on being present at the final inspection with the landlord
    * Fill in an inventory upon moving in, and be detailed and thorough
    * Use Unipol approved landlords; I did not, and its turns out my old landlord had been blacklisted - I would have avoided all this with a bit of research

And if you're having problems and you're genuinely not at fault, take it further - its only eighty pounds to lodge an action for small claims courts, which you recover from the other party if you win.

So many people have told me of how they were also ripped off by landlords - don't stand for it!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    aw, congrats! Glad it all worked out for you

ReputationRep:
    well done. my bro had probs with a landlord once, he shud had taken a leaf out of ure book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MightyMeanie)
    well done. my bro had probs with a landlord once, he shud had taken a leaf out of ure book.
    This was my point - its actually quite easy to do, and most landlords run a mile from a court summons.
    There should be more advice and support available for students who have been ripped off - so many people have told me their own stories once they hear of what happened to me.
    Hopefully then more people can get back what they are owed

ReputationRep:
    Congrats

ReputationRep:
    Well done

ReputationRep:
    thats so good! im so glad u had the guts to stand and do something about it! i wonder how many other people have been ripped of by him over the years!? nice one hun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_buttercup)
    thats so good! im so glad u had the guts to stand and do something about it! i wonder how many other people have been ripped of by him over the years!? nice one hun!
    Thanks everyone!!

Since I started this whole thing last August I have had loads of people come up to me, saying "so-and-so told me about your court case, my landlord did the same to me" etc etc., and many of these people had experience of being ripped off by the same landlord as me.
    One person was charged over 400 pounds (if I remember correctly) for a small piece of carpet, like 6 foot by 3 foot or something, in a hallway which had been burnt by an iron. The landlord had got away with it because he got the replacement carpet from a small supplier who was happy to provide a blank receipt, so that the tenants didn't have a leg to stand on.

Its really important that students are given proper advice when househunting for the first time, how to check out your landlord, what to check on the actual property, security etc., and what to do when moving in / out to protect your deposit. I was given none.

Word of mouth is the best thing in Leeds - several older students I talked to after my whole problem began were well aware of my landlord and his dubious reputation.
    Do your research everyone!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Which landlord was this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becke)
    Which landlord was this?
    I have sent you a PM.
    It's fine to tell people who the landlord is now that I have the Court judgement in my favour, its just that I dont want to get myself in trouble with TSR for any reason!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Got my cheque yesterday!!

Well actually *didnt* get a cheque by the deadline, so rocked up to the landlords office and pretty much demanded it (but politely! )

My ex-flatmate popped back later, made it clear he wasn't going to leave until they'd written us a cheque, and we got it!!
    Lets just hope it actually clears now.... :rolleyes:

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.