Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've got a place at leeds met for this september, was just wondering if anybody new anything about Opal Court Accomodation? My course is held at the headingley campus but I dont really like the idea of kirkstall brewery as its so far from the city center. Does anyone know what opal courts like as I understand you can get to both campuses easily enough, or which accomodation other than kirkstall is good for the headingley campus? I want to go somewhere lively n busy. Look forward to the replies, Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I was thinking of choosing here, as it sounds really good in the brochure. HOWEVER! it isn't finished yet. it didn't tell you that eh. i saw it in february this year and it didn't look anywhere near finished, when it's supposed to be done for september this year! If i were you, i'd avoid it, as it may not be finished and even if it is, you're bound to get builders continously on and off the site doing noisy repairs/improvements. ALSO it is right next to a firestation. Not great if there are lots of fire engines zooming down the road at night when you're trying to sleep. Also opal court will have no bar. The only positive along with the style of the proposed accommodation is the location. like you said, not far from the city centre of headingley and virtually right next to ( i think it was) the tannery and senitel towers (private accom for both unis)

Advantages

Will be modern
    Probably good atmosphere
    Proximity to both campuses

Disadvantages
    Not finished
    no bar
    closeness to firestation

I personally believe you should avoid it. Alternatives i suggest are Liberty park ( It's in the brochure, looks really nice) If you ask on here, people know alot more about it than me. I have the same problem as you. I'm studying at headingley campus and the best accom like millstreet is too far away!
    I reallly recommend you go and have a look at liberty park. If you are not bothered about being further away from headingley but really close to the town centre, i strongly suggest Millstreet. However be prepared to get up early if your travelling into headingley.

Really hope i helped you here.

Thanks, cb.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thanks that helped a lot. I still really don't know which to go for, it says kirkstall brewery has relatively constant buses into the city and it is a bit cheaper. They all seem quite expensive compared to most uni's actually.

The only thing I'm worried about liberty park is that I'm not sure but it seems the accomodation may not be just for leeds met first year students? Would I be right in thinking that? And also the issue with it being 'toned down' and having security cameras everywhere! I dont want to be restricted like I'm in a prison!

Anyone have any other advice they can add please???

Thanks very much again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jargo)
    Yeah thanks that helped a lot. I still really don't know which to go for, it says kirkstall brewery has relatively constant buses into the city and it is a bit cheaper. They all seem quite expensive compared to most uni's actually.

The only thing I'm worried about liberty park is that I'm not sure but it seems the accomodation may not be just for leeds met first year students? Would I be right in thinking that? And also the issue with it being 'toned down' and having security cameras everywhere! I dont want to be restricted like I'm in a prison!

Anyone have any other advice they can add please???

Thanks very much again.

I personally am choosing kirkstall. The university puts on 2 per day for students to go direct to the headingley campus.
    I have been and visited kirkstall twice.

Advantages
    good social atmosphere
    friendly residential officers
    mainly first years
    bar
    lots of social events
    variety of nationalities

disadvantages
    costly for parking
    distance from city centre
    noise
    area perhaps.

I think if your a sociable person then seriously consider kirkstall. By the sound of it, i think you would enjoy it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think your probably right. The only worry I have is getting into the city from there... Do you know if there is regular transport to the city from there?

Sorry for being a pain and thanks again!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jargo)
    Yeah I think your probably right. The only worry I have is getting into the city from there... Do you know if there is regular transport to the city from there?

Sorry for being a pain and thanks again!!

Don't worry lol. I'm exactly like you, I just want to find the right place for myself! I'm just glad i can help. There is a bus stop right next to the accomadation. The buses do go regularly into the city centre, yes. They are frequent.

ReputationRep:
    Oh. BTW. Taxis are cheap anyway. The uni has a special contract with a firm called amber taxis. If you share a taxi say between 4 or 5 people you only end up having to pay £1-2 each to get into the city centre. So being further away is no hindrence really.

If you choose to go kirkstall, I'll probably see you there. as i'll be staying there

ReputationRep:
    is opal court for leeds uni and leeds met students?

saw u were tlkaing about liberty park too. i got to have a look around on the open day and its put me off! the security is good, altho u have to sign every visitor in and out. the flats r nice, rooms r ok, bit smaller than i thought but the ensuites are tiny! they r like portaloos in ur room. not the nicest ive seen.

ill be studying at civic quarter - think im gona either apply for opal court or mill street?

ReputationRep:
    iv just applied for opal court. ive seen photos of opal courts housing in other cities and it looks really nice! it is a bit more money but worth it i think. liberty park isnt as good as i was hoping (it was my first choice). mill street is another good one tho.

let me kno what u decide!

ReputationRep:
    heya pauline. i just applied for opal court too. went to look for it yest but cudnt find it. im guessin it was this building that was bein worked on. but not sure. saw liberty and yer the security thing! looks well weird.! where bouts u from?

ReputationRep:
    cheshire u?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds. wot u studying? xxx

ReputationRep:
    im doin social work. what about u? i cant wait to move in and get settled. gives me another excuse to go shopping now!

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else applyin for opal court? xx

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Im gona be studying in the Civic quarter and have applied for Opal Court too they assured me it would be ready on time!! I was bothered at first cuz thr isn't a bar or similar on site, just a leisure club. I think with it being near the city and a load of other student accomodation though it wont matter- there'll be plenty to do! XX

ReputationRep:
    what r u studying? what did u put as ur preferences when u applied for opal? x

ReputationRep:
    hey! iv applied to opal court too! it sounds really nice, cant wait to move in! got my confirmation the other day. iv also been told it will def be ready for september,yey!
    Whats everyone studying? im studying graphic art and design!
    My preferences for opal i put no smoking, mixed and i put im fairly soiciable.
    does anyone any info on the gym and swimming pool? like cost and things.

ReputationRep:
    hey no we dnt no that info yet. i am def going to opal too. and put the same preferences as u did. i studying social work. i was going to see the show flat at opal tomoro but just found out its not open at wkends. but ther r a couple of us stil tryin to find out that info.

theres only 3 definates goin to opal that i no of..u me and sirjoe. also a couple of others r thinkin about it. where r u from?

ReputationRep:
    oops! only just realised it says ur from hull sorry!

ReputationRep:
    hehe, dont worry. yeah sunny hull, not far to travel to leeds. oh right didnt know thare was a show flat, might have to pop over next week and have a look, il let you know if i do and what its like! thanks for mentioning that. yey, glad iv found other people that are moving to opal court cos i was worrying. cant wait to move in, im sooo excited.
    x

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2007
Poll
Do you have a role model?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.