Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How much do you spend per week? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi im hoping to start at manchester in september and am drastically trying to save money. Im just wondering how much people spend per week whilst at uni, including food ,drink, books, clothes ect but excluding accomadation. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by znicz)
    Hi im hoping to start at manchester in september and am drastically trying to save money. Im just wondering how much people spend per week whilst at uni, including food ,drink, books, clothes ect but excluding accomadation. Thanks
    I spend loads, mainly off ebay though.

ReputationRep:
    Too much.

ReputationRep:
    how much is too much?

ReputationRep:
    About £25 on food and stuff, then about that again on going out

ReputationRep:
    i spent about 4-5grand in my first term. last year in total i spent over 10 grand :eek: (i had quite a well paid part time job tho)
    mainly on beer

i have no self control lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drawmeamonkey)
    i spent about 4-5grand in my first term. last year in total i spent over 10 grand :eek: (i had quite a well paid part time job tho)
    mainly on beer

My god, that's obscene!

I thought I was bad having maxed out my overdraft.

ReputationRep:
    Are there many cheap bars/clubs in manchester. Is there student nights/cheap nights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by znicz)
    Are there many cheap bars/clubs in manchester. Is there student nights/cheap nights.
    Yeah for sure. A whole load of places have student nights. The SU bars are dirt cheap as you'd expect. The cheapest club I can think off the top of my head is 5th Ave - 80p for bottles some nights.

ReputationRep:
    mainly on beer

wow that is pretty scary! I'll have no where near that amount of money!
    Is this an isolated case or indicative of the general cost of university?
    I've been budgeting for £3500 MAX after tuition fees and accommodation costs...

ReputationRep:
    hehe its probably just me who spends that much! its not like i can really afford to either

last year i bought loads of clothes and cds etc. which you can easily do without. plus i do have a tendency to go out quite a lot sometimes.

at the minute ive got 70 quid of my 1400 overdraft left and my credit card is maxed (600) :eek:

luckily im starting working again soon!!!

i got around £6500/year working part time. really should have saved more of it!!! still managed to get equivalent of a 2:1 for 1st year even though i worked for most of it

i've been doing worse in 2nd year when i havent been working :confused:
    uni messes with my head!

anyhoo i'm totally rambling. my point is you can do it for a lot less if you sacrifice going out too much, and unnecessary spending!

ReputationRep:
    hehe its probably just me who spends that much! its not like i can really afford to either

last year i bought loads of clothes and cds etc. which you can easily do without. plus i do have a tendency to go out quite a lot sometimes.

at the minute ive got 70 quid of my 1400 overdraft left and my credit card is maxed (600) :eek:

luckily im starting working again soon!!!

i got around £6500/year working part time. really should have saved more of it!!! still managed to get equivalent of a 2:1 for 1st year even though i worked for most of it

i've been doing worse in 2nd year when i havent been working :confused:
    uni messes with my head!

anyhoo i'm totally rambling. my point is you can do it for a lot less if you sacrifice going out too much, and unnecessary spending!
    Out of interest where do you work??

ReputationRep:
    i worked for the co-op bank and insurance (CIS) last year, in their call centres. got paid over £7 an hour, i was there for more than a year tho!

i'm starting a new job soon, for RBS

ReputationRep:
    realistically....
    food/not-much-going-out/books a week will be about £50
    accomodation can be around £60pw.... but that wont quite come out like that... cos youll pay in bulk
    but it does all depend on how much you wanna go out, and how much you will drink!
    but food shouldnt come to more than £25/30 even at tescos

ReputationRep:
    Is it quite easy to get barwork/ retail work in manchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by znicz)
    Is it quite easy to get barwork/ retail work in manchester?
    yes. quite a few of my friends have jobs in bars and shops. theres plenty of them, especially at christmas.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.