Turn on thread page Beta

Minuet written, grappling with trio: please help! watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a minuet and trio for my AS music composition. Thus far I've got an unrefined version of the minuet (form: section A in F major, section B beginning in C major, passing through different keys back to the tonic of F major, repeat of section A).

However, I'm stuck on starting the trio. I gather it's meant to be in the dominant, but I don't know if I'm supposed to go straight into it or if I'm meant to use some sort of link passage. What's the accepted protocol? Also, does material from the minuet usually get used in the trio? Finding it hard to get clear information on this so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't have to be in the dominant, it can be in any related key, although the dominant is a good bet. Your minuet should certainly cadence in the tonic. As for material, you can use some material but really there should be quite a stylistic contrast between the two areas.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Thanks - had forgotten about the stylistic contrast bit *headdesk*. Do I just start the trio straight off in the dominant, then? No material needed in between to steer it in the right direction?

ReputationRep:
    upload the midi / sibelius score somewhere!! :)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satine)
    Thanks - had forgotten about the stylistic contrast bit *headdesk*. Do I just start the trio straight off in the dominant, then? No material needed in between to steer it in the right direction?
    No, it's fine just to cadence in the tonic and start straight off in the dominant. Would probably be good to start with a periodic phrase starting with a big fat I (in the dominant) followed by some sort of perfect cadence (still in the dominant) to confirm thee change.

MB

ReputationRep:
    Would it be possible to use the same idea and invert it with your theme? That seems to have been used a fair amount in early Minuet + Trios...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.