Turn on thread page Beta

A Tad Worried... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    *Worried*

I have an unconditional offer and on my UCAS form I said I was going to be taking GCSE maths this year. Once I got my unconditional I changed my mind and decided not to take the maths because I didn't do the coursework in time etc...

They won't take my offer away will they? It's unconditional so I didn't think it would matter if I didn't do my maths but now I'm worried. Do I need to let the uni/UCAS know?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, definitely. The offer was made based on the knowledge that you were sitting for the exam. If the information you have declared is false, i.e. the information on your UCAS form is incorrect, the universities should be informed so that they may review your offer, or even withdraw it alltogether.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

So shall I contact the uni or ucas?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Contact the uni, and if you have any reasons (ie extenuatiing circumstances) then explain those

ReputationRep:
    Would the uni find out that I haven't taken the gcse maths? I know they'll find out when I go to enrol but they can't find out before then can they?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well, they'll be expecting a grade on results day, and will be surprised and possibly enguire when they don't get one!

But if you tell them, they'll be more lenient than if you don't and they find out anyway

ReputationRep:
    Probably not. But come results day, when UCAS sends your results to the universities and they realise that you have no qualification in that subject, things might go awry.

ReputationRep:
    I already have my A Levels though, so won't they already have checked my grades? Do UCAS send GCSE results then too? I didn't realise they did, I just thought they could send A Level results!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Mischief)
    I already have my A Levels though, so won't they already have checked my grades? Do UCAS send GCSE results then too? I didn't realise they did, I just thought they could send A Level results!
    To be honest I don't think they send GCSE grades (hardly anyone sits for GCSE exams at this stage), but that doesn't mean that you shoujdn't contact the university to advice them of your new situation.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think ucas sends results to unis for those applicants who recieved unconditional offers, and so there is nothing to be worried about. Also, if you got an unconditional offer it means that the offer was based on qualifications that you have already obtained, and therefore it does not matter if you dont do this maths gcse. They cannot take your offer away. I think its almost expected that you will not complete, or obtain as high a grade as you would have if you had a conditional offer. Nothing to worry about.

Knogle an unconditional offer means that you already have all the qualifications that are nesecary to get into the course. So it will not matter if the OP finishes his/her remaining qualifications.

Wiz

ReputationRep:
    If you're that worried couldnt you enter yourself again for the exam and just fail it? Since the offer isnt based on what you get in the exam it wouldnt matter if you got a U.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    i dont think ucas sends results to unis for those applicants who recieved unconditional offers, and so there is nothing to be worried about. Also, if you got an unconditional offer it means that the offer was based on qualifications that you have already obtained, and therefore it does not matter if you dont do this maths gcse. They cannot take your offer away. I think its almost expected that you will not complete, or obtain as high a grade as you would have if you had a conditional offer. Nothing to worry about.

Knogle an unconditional offer means that you already have all the qualifications that are nesecary to get into the course. So it will not matter if the OP finishes his/her remaining qualifications.

Wiz
    Excuseme? The offer was made on the basis of a valid UCAS application form. It was made based on the knowledge that the OP was sitting for the subject and obtaining a qualification in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by __WiZaRD__)
    Also, if you got an unconditional offer it means that the offer was based on qualifications that you have already obtained, and therefore it does not matter if you dont do this maths gcse. They cannot take your offer away. I think its almost expected that you will not complete, or obtain as high a grade as you would have if you had a conditional offer. Nothing to worry about.

:dito:

I think you are right Wizard. An unconditional means you have everything they require, if they wanted you to take the maths GCSE they would have given you a conditional, because your accpetance would be based on that. As they didn't, they don't seem to need it.

(Original post by Knogle)
    Excuseme? The offer was made on the basis of a valid UCAS application form. It was made based on the knowledge that the OP was sitting for the subject and obtaining a qualification in it.
    Yes, but surely if they cared what the OP recieved as a qualification they would have made it conditional.

ReputationRep:
    But the GCSE maths coursework takes a few hours tops??
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Moloko)
    :dito:

I think you are right Wizard. An unconditional means you have everything they require, if they wanted you to take the maths GCSE they would have given you a conditional, because your accpetance would be based on that. As they didn't, they don't seem to need it.

Yes, but surely if they cared what the OP recieved as a qualification they would have made it conditional.
    They might not care about the qualification, but that does not mean you can drop it without telling them! If you drop it then the information on the form is wrong, and therefore they can change/withdraw the offer, or depending how long it is before they find out they can chuck you out of uni, or cancel your degree.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask them! If your offer was unconditional then they probably don't care, but better to be safe than sorry!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frances)
    Just ask them! If your offer was unconditional then they probably don't care, but better to be safe than sorry!!
    :ditto: ...and if you tell them and they decide to reject you at this stage then you can apply to go somewhere else via clearing. If you don't tell them and they find out in September and reject you then it's too late.:eek:

Best get it over and done with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turbochargedk)
    :ditto: ...and if you tell them and they decide to reject you at this stage then you can apply to go somewhere else via clearing. If you don't tell them and they find out in September and reject you then it's too late.:eek:

Best get it over and done with.
    Exactly! There's nothing wrong with clearing up the air and telling them.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you could get a B with just the exam and VERY little revision. That comes from someone who is crap at maths.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

Does anyone know if it's possible to do the GCSE maths without having done the coursework? The coursework deadline has now passed so I'm worried that I can't enter myself for the exam even if I wanted to.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.