Turn on thread page Beta

Large Tattoos watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking vaguely about getting my lower arms tattood with custom designed flames, and I was thinking, would they be tasteful (not solid flames, just where the orange edges would be) or would they be a bit too extreme?

Opinions please.

ReputationRep:
    Lower arms are ALWAYS on show. Get something more discrete, or at least something you can cover up.

I also think that overly colored tattoos are kinda tacky. But its personal opinion and I have possible the muntingist tattoo ever :P

ReputationRep:
    Thing is, I normally wear jackets that cover my arms, and if I'm not wearing a jacket I'll be wearing a hoodie a lot of the time.

And it would be fairly dark colourings - different shades of purple mainly - so not overly coloured.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only personally get a tattoo on the lower arm if your arms were quite big. + I wouldn't put flames on it - just don't.

ReputationRep:
    My arms aren't big, but I love tattoos, and for me flames are pretty big things - I used to be a pyromaniac, and I looooooove fire

ReputationRep:
    Maybe go for it on the ankles mate, or get a fire-themed half-sleeve. The thing with large lower arm tats, especially if the same on both sides is they DO make a statement they a lot of people still take a dislike to nowadays (y'know Davina McCall? she's got a tattoo on her left wrist, and on the advert for clairol or whatever she's in, they airbrushed it out). Give it another six months, and then if you still wanna do it, then go ahead. Also, if you're good with photoshop or whatever, im sure itd be fairly easy to see what it looks like with 'em. Pin it up on your door/bathroom mirror or wherever youre likely to see it every day. Look at that fooker until you're sick of it, and if you're not sick of it, then maybe you might be OK with it. Lots of thought needed. Whatever you go for, im sure it'll be damn good.

ps - google 'flameboy' and see if you like the little fella - i wsa gonna get him and his buddy 'wet willy' on either shoulder back in the day but it never happened cos i couldnt get good enough designs, but always thought he'd make a great tat

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I think bigger tattoos are better than little ones. The thing is, if you like tattoos and you get a small one, after a while you end up wanting another, and pretty soon you have a whole bunch of little things all over you. I know lots of people with a shooting star here, and treble clef there, and a flaming 8-ball and whatever, who end up getting something bigger and more sensible to cover them up. BUT please do not rush into this! Depending on how far they come down, they'll be hard to hide at times when you may want to (job interviews etc). I know it is rubbish to have to think pragmatically about personal decisions, but in ten years they'll stop being so exciting; they'll just be part of your arms and maybe you will be annoyed when people make judgements about you because of them. In any case, I'd wait at least six months, maybe longer, to see if really really want them to on your arms for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of photoshopping the flames onto the arms and printing out. I'll see about doing that, and keep it up for 6 months / a year.

Thanks guys

ReputationRep:
    Dont get them all over your arms, they will put of employers, and if you work out theyll stretch.
    I am currently considering a big angel on my back, but it is seriously limited due to the fact i have a tattoo there already.

ReputationRep:
    Nooo don't do it, you'll so regret it one day

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.