The Student Room Group

Are unis still the preserve of the elite?

Hi all, I have followed these forums for a while, but have only just joined. Mainly to find out whether you believe that in the long term, our universities will ever be anything but middle class havens.

I have a peer at Cambridge who last year showed me a blog written by one of their rugby players, which displayed blatant elitism and sexism . Now obviously Cambridge has a reputation, but I'm studying at Loughborough, a university known more for its sport than anything else, and I was shocked to see a similar blog written by what i'm guessing is a Loughborough student. :mad:

They say universities are for everyone, but I am truly starting to feel in the minority...

(PS here's a link www.yololufbra.blogspot.co.uk)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
don't think so, last time I check 90% of my sixth form was going to university
Reply 3
oh no not this again!

honestly
Erm no... just no.
Reply 5
Original post by janeeyre
Hi all, I have followed these forums for a while, but have only just joined. Mainly to find out whether you believe that in the long term, our universities will ever be anything but middle class havens.

I have a peer at Cambridge who last year showed me a blog written by one of their rugby players, which displayed blatant elitism and sexism . Now obviously Cambridge has a reputation, but I'm studying at Loughborough, a university known more for its sport than anything else, and I was shocked to see a similar blog written by what i'm guessing is a Loughborough student. :mad:

They say universities are for everyone, but I am truly starting to feel in the minority...

(PS here's a link www.yololufbra.blogspot.co.uk)

No, they're not at all the preserve of the elite. Cambridge takes 60% of its students from the state sector and this is increasing yearly. There are vestiges that are still the preserve of the elite, but they are small and marginalised.

Particular, traditional public-school sports such a Rugby will likely always remain middle-class in that way, and sexism is dominant in most single-sex team sporting environments, but they are not at all representative of the majority or even a significant part of those universities.

They are just the loudest, brashest pupils and the ones arrogant enough to write that sort of blog about themselves. They get noticed the most, and matter the least.

The truth is all universities take pupils from across the entire socio-economic spectrum and where you come from has no bearing on your success or time there. My college's JCR president came from what was, according to Ofsted, the very worst school in the country. It and several other schools were dissolved and turned into an academy while he was there, which let to protests, picketing and even a small riot. He is perhaps the exact antithesis of the public school boy, but he fits in just fine and better than many from public school.
My university is partly the preserve of the elite, partly the preserve of angry state school students who believe everyone is against them, and thankfully 90% the preserve of people who want to learn their subject, and don't give a **** where you came from.
Definitely not here, my son is going to Uni on a full grant plus bursary so we're definitely not one of the elite! TBH nobody in his school is, it's a non-selective secondary but has past pupils from his year and the year above at Trinity Dublin, Warwick, Imperial, Bristol, Glasgow, Queen's, UU, Aberystwyth, Chester, Loughborough ... This with Free School Meals at 20%, and 54% of pupils on SEN register.
Wow just wow that blog is hilarious if you look at the pics it's a sausage fest anyway who cares what they get up to, the writing style is incredible pompous to the point of sounding like the writer is just trying to use the style out of attempting to convey some form of intelligence rather than the style being necessary.

It's just a bunch of sad fat middle class guys getting pissed together why are you even making a point of it?

And obviously it depends what university you go to but honestly people are people wherever you go you will get poor people who are idiots just as much as you will get rich people who are idiots

money doesn't stop(or make) you a w@nker.
Reply 9
Original post by The Mr Z

They are just the loudest, brashest pupils and the ones arrogant enough to write that sort of blog about themselves. They get noticed the most, and matter the least.

I guess that's it, hear more about them because of their actions and behavior.

These responses have been reassuring. :rolleyes:
Only Oxbridge and maybe LSE are Elitist institutions; the other top 20 uni's are top uni's but they are not 'elite' in the true sense of the word.
Some universities are academically elite but none with any credibility are elitist in terms of class.
I don't think 2 bloggers make a representative sample?
Reply 13
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I don't think 2 bloggers make a representative sample?

Very true, but it's a shame to see the attitudes presented in the blogs exist.
Reply 14
nah. rugby/hockey/football teams at Uni are mainly composed of such people (not at ALL places...and not all the team)...I wouldnt worry about it...and you may find yourself changing in certain ways/attitudes when at Uni too. you're mixing with new groups of people...new backgrounds etc and may find a gap with older friends from back home as you return at end of term/year . its life.:smile:
Reply 15
Original post by alanbuxey
nah. rugby/hockey/football teams at Uni are mainly composed of such people (not at ALL places...and not all the team)...I wouldnt worry about it...and you may find yourself changing in certain ways/attitudes when at Uni too. you're mixing with new groups of people...new backgrounds etc and may find a gap with older friends from back home as you return at end of term/year . its life.:smile:

Yea, time will tell:redface:
Reply 16
Original post by kingkongjaffa

It's just a bunch of sad fat middle class guys getting pissed together why are you even making a point of it?

If only you knew how wrong you were, with regards to the 'sad' and 'fat' jibes at least...

That aside I can't believe this has been posted here, Ill forward a link to the author. I'm sure he'll enjoy the reactions.
That blog is surely a spoof...

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending