The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'll be honest, i've always said if i got pregnant at a young age, i'd have an abortion. But truth be told if i actually was in the position of having to choose, i wouldn't know what to do. I know mentally/emotionally it'd screw me up big time, but that seems like a selfish reason not to have a kid. But then if i'm not capable of looking after it, and would probably go into self destruct moded during pregnancy anyway, it'd be better if i had an abortion. But then if i did i'd always feel guilty, and sad everytime i saw a child.

I guess i have mixed feeings really. I just hope that if i ever am pregnant, its cos i chose to be.
Reply 21
It happened to me. But I miscarried.

I wouldnt know what Id do. I was soo relieved when I miscarried but also so fuc king upset because I want kids so much. Just I cant see how I can when Im like sitting on uni offers and ****.

Im just really really careful not to get knocked up :smile:
Reply 22
It happened to me. But I miscarried.

I wouldnt know what Id do. I was soo relieved when I miscarried but also so fuc king upset because I want kids so much. Just I cant see how I can when Im like sitting on uni offers and ****.

Im just really really careful not to get knocked up :smile:
Reply 23
I would probably have an abortion, I don't know for cirtain because things can change but it would probably go that way. I have had a few scares (late periods) but I am really careful so hopefully it won't happen yet.

Aetheria can I just ask which uni that is because I didn't know that they could legally do that?
Dramatic Star
I'm not pregnant (nor have I been) so I'm not really looking for advice as such.... I just wanted to know of peoples opinions & experiences on teenage pregnancy & how it has effected their lives or how you would imagine it would effect you. Hopefully this will turn out into being an interesting discussion. :smile:

In the situation I am now... about to do A levels then off on a Gap Year, I would keep it. Get the pregnancy and first few months over and done with in my Gap Year and then either leave it with Dad (its, not mine), leave it with Grand-mother (its, my mother) or take it to uni. If you had asked me a few months ago I would have said abortion, but I think what they actualy do is barbaric. I could not put any living creature through that. But if it was during uni or if it had happened any earlier, I would probably get an early abortion. I would want to wait until I could give it the best life possible before having it.
Reply 25
Yesterday I took a pregnancy test - and it was positive. I went to my local Brook Advisory clinic this morning and saw a GP and a nurse, both of whom were very unjudgemental and supportive of my decision to get an abortion.

A few years ago, I don't know what I would have done. I was adopted at birth, because my natural mother was only 15 and her Catholic parents wouldn't allow her to abort me. Knowing how much my adoptive parents struggled - how few babies are put up for adoption and the comparatively large number of couples wanting to adopt - I have always thought that I would consider giving any unwanted baby of mine up for adoption.

In the event, the decision was not hard to make. Maybe I've just become more selfish with age (I'm 23 and in 1st year of uni - a 'mature' student) but I just know there's no way I'm in a situation to care for a child without ruining not only my own future, but that of my boyfriend (who is only 19). I also know that if I did give birth to the child, I would face an even tougher decision about whether to keep it.

Personally, I don't believe that it's a 'baby' until it has a pulse, let alone a brain, so this particular ethical issue is not a problem for me. As a side note, for any woman going through a similar thing, PLEASE don't stick your head in the sand and hope it will go away. There are Brook clinics all over the country; they are free and confidential, and you don't need to make an appointment. Unlike some GPs, the doctors there are very used to dealing with these issues, and will not object on ethical grounds.

Sorry for the long post - I'll go back to lurking now!
I always go double dutch (contraceptive pill and condom) because I really, really, couldn't cope with getting pregnant. I suppose if I did, I'd have an abortion - although I'm not totally sure I could go through with it. I'm pro-choice, but at the same time, I still think I'd feel incredibly guilty afterwards. I know two people who've had abortions as teenagers, and neither coped very well. I also know two people who've had babies as teenagers, and I can't say that they've coped very well either. All that has just really made me hope that when I get pregnant, its through choice, when I'm in a long-term relationship, and have had a few years to work and travel, rather than being tied down.

Latest

Trending

Trending