Turn on thread page Beta

white patches on teeth watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how to fix those white teeth patches on you front teeth as I have just noticed them on mine and hope to remove them quicker rather than later. I see it in the morning but it gets better in the noon

ReputationRep:
    Oooh! I have one of them, on my top left canine!

ReputationRep:
    oh I have those! my teeth have white stuff on them that won't come [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    not enough calcium....u get them on ur nails as well..had same problem.

ReputationRep:
    I have one of them on my upper side tooth, its not that noticeable but I have been meaning to get it done for a while.

It depends how bad the white patches are. I asked my dentist last time I went and she said she could fix it by putting a white filling inside the tooth. My boyfriend had the same thing done to one of this bottom teeth, and it was amazing the difference it made, it really works.

Oh and my dentist told me that my white patch was caused by using "too much" toothpaste when I was younger, dont know if thats the same for everyone though.

ReputationRep:
    It is called fluorosis. It is due to too much fluoride being taken into the body while the teeth are growing.

ReputationRep:
    when my permanent teeth grew, they all had white stuff on them that wouldn't come off anyway ...... like white stuff in the grooves of my enamels

(Original post by MK_7)
    I have them too, and apparently it's not to do with calcium as such, it can be to do with fluorine levels in your area's water, or medication you possibly had as a child.

I've got it on my front teeth especially, but on most other teeth too. I was told if I want to get rid of it, your best (and pretty much only) option is to go for teeth whitening. However, don't, whatever you do go for those home kits though- they're apparently very abrasive and could make it worse.

Good luck- I'm sure it isn't that noticeable and as far as I know it doesn't get worse over time.

ReputationRep:
    plaque ain't white is it?

ReputationRep:
    My teeth are invincible. I can not brush for days and they still are white.

Hope that makes you feel better!

Really, no problem what the patches are you describe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MK_7)

i dont think the white patches on our nails has anything to do with calcium by the way, although so many people think it is! i even thought it....

its something about bruising your nail or something when it's growing...can't remember exactly but our biology teacher told us! lol

ReputationRep:
    It is fluorosis...whitening often doesn't help because of the different shades of the tooth. People with bad fluorosis tend to get veneers or other cosmetic treatment. I'm planning on getting veneers on four of my teeth this year....tis expensive though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozzy)
    i dont think the white patches on our nails has anything to do with calcium by the way, although so many people think it is! i even thought it....

its something about bruising your nail or something when it's growing...can't remember exactly but our biology teacher told us! lol
    this is correct. in certain cases of extreme lack of calcium in your diet this will occur, however in most cases, any whiteness on your fingernails is likely to have been caused by a bump to your nail.

ReputationRep:
    its a lack of calcium (as MK 7 said). i had the problem and went to a dentist and started eating more "calcium foods" and drank more milk. Look to see if you have it on your fingernails too, its a common sign.

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or is it very noticible in the morning but it isnt so noticible later on in the day.

Oh yeah let me add I dont have any on my fingernails and the teeth ones arent very noticible but I ont want it to get worse so I though I may catch it early.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have it on my fingernails at all, and I eat about 2000mg of calcium a day, twice the RDA. So I doubt its anything to do with that.

This flurosis thing, how do you take in too much fluorine? Through tap water? Anything harmful about it?

yeah, it causes white patches on teeth. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    This flurosis thing, how do you take in too much fluorine? Through tap water? Anything harmful about it?
    Yeah, probably tap water. Or could also be because of mouthwash. Try one without fluoride.

Is the condition reversible? I don't have it but I am just curious.

How come it doesn't affect everyone? Are some people more sensitive to high fluoride levels?

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean how come it doesn't affect everyone? If its to do with fluoride then its pretty obvious that it doesn't affect everyone because some people ingest more fluoride that others..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    What do you mean how come it doesn't affect everyone? If its to do with fluoride then its pretty obvious that it doesn't affect everyone because some people ingest more fluoride that others..
    But if it's to do with high fluoride levels then how come I don't have it? (I just read some scaremongering websites that said it's all to do with the far too high fluoride levels in tap water... so shouldn't we all have it?) :confused: :bawling:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.