The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Oooh! I have one of them, on my top left canine!
oh I have those! my teeth have white stuff on them that won't come off@
Reply 3
not enough calcium....u get them on ur nails as well..had same problem.
Reply 4
I have one of them on my upper side tooth, its not that noticeable but I have been meaning to get it done for a while.

It depends how bad the white patches are. I asked my dentist last time I went and she said she could fix it by putting a white filling inside the tooth. My boyfriend had the same thing done to one of this bottom teeth, and it was amazing the difference it made, it really works.

Oh and my dentist told me that my white patch was caused by using "too much" toothpaste when I was younger, dont know if thats the same for everyone though.
Reply 5
It is called fluorosis. It is due to too much fluoride being taken into the body while the teeth are growing.
when my permanent teeth grew, they all had white stuff on them that wouldn't come off anyway ...... like white stuff in the grooves of my enamels
Reply 7
MK_7

I have them too, and apparently it's not to do with calcium as such, it can be to do with fluorine levels in your area's water, or medication you possibly had as a child.

I've got it on my front teeth especially, but on most other teeth too. I was told if I want to get rid of it, your best (and pretty much only) option is to go for teeth whitening. However, don't, whatever you do go for those home kits though- they're apparently very abrasive and could make it worse.

Good luck- I'm sure it isn't that noticeable and as far as I know it doesn't get worse over time. :smile:
plaque ain't white is it?
Reply 9
My teeth are invincible. I can not brush for days and they still are white.

Hope that makes you feel better! :wink:

Really, no problem what the patches are you describe.
Reply 10
MK_7

i dont think the white patches on our nails has anything to do with calcium by the way, although so many people think it is! i even thought it....

its something about bruising your nail or something when it's growing...can't remember exactly but our biology teacher told us! lol
It is fluorosis...whitening often doesn't help because of the different shades of the tooth. People with bad fluorosis tend to get veneers or other cosmetic treatment. I'm planning on getting veneers on four of my teeth this year....tis expensive though :frown:
Reply 12
rozzy
i dont think the white patches on our nails has anything to do with calcium by the way, although so many people think it is! i even thought it....

its something about bruising your nail or something when it's growing...can't remember exactly but our biology teacher told us! lol
this is correct. in certain cases of extreme lack of calcium in your diet this will occur, however in most cases, any whiteness on your fingernails is likely to have been caused by a bump to your nail.
its a lack of calcium (as MK 7 said). i had the problem and went to a dentist and started eating more "calcium foods" and drank more milk. Look to see if you have it on your fingernails too, its a common sign.
Reply 14
is it just me or is it very noticible in the morning but it isnt so noticible later on in the day.

Oh yeah let me add I dont have any on my fingernails and the teeth ones arent very noticible but I ont want it to get worse so I though I may catch it early.
Reply 15
I don't have it on my fingernails at all, and I eat about 2000mg of calcium a day, twice the RDA. So I doubt its anything to do with that.

This flurosis thing, how do you take in too much fluorine? Through tap water? Anything harmful about it?
Reply 16
yeah, it causes white patches on teeth. :P
Reply 17
x.narb.x

This flurosis thing, how do you take in too much fluorine? Through tap water? Anything harmful about it?

Yeah, probably tap water. Or could also be because of mouthwash. Try one without fluoride.

Is the condition reversible? I don't have it but I am just curious.

How come it doesn't affect everyone? Are some people more sensitive to high fluoride levels?
Reply 18
What do you mean how come it doesn't affect everyone? If its to do with fluoride then its pretty obvious that it doesn't affect everyone because some people ingest more fluoride that others.. :smile:
Reply 19
x.narb.x
What do you mean how come it doesn't affect everyone? If its to do with fluoride then its pretty obvious that it doesn't affect everyone because some people ingest more fluoride that others.. :smile:

But if it's to do with high fluoride levels then how come I don't have it? (I just read some scaremongering websites that said it's all to do with the far too high fluoride levels in tap water... so shouldn't we all have it?) :confused: :bawling:

Latest

Trending

Trending