Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well basically I have the following problem. I want to use "Bien que" which takes the subjunctive in the following way:

Bien qu'il y.... now here's the problem; I am describing something that happened in the past so normally it would be il y avait if we ignore the subjunctive, but how does it change if I have bien que?

I know you can use the subjective in a form similar to passe compose i.e. il ait commence(accent)...but how does it work with the imperfect :confused:

Any help much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    What's the rest of the sentence?

ReputationRep:
    Bien qu'il y (what ever tense i need to use) beaucoup de raisons...

ReputationRep:
    I think you need to use bien qu'il y ait (although there were).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I think you need to use bien qu'il y ait (although there were).
    Yeah I agree.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't that mean "although there is" though??

ReputationRep:
    The imperfect subjunctive of avoir:

Bien qu'il y eût.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duck and Cover)
    Doesn't that mean "although there is" though??
    Agreed, ait is the present subjunctive.

ReputationRep:
    The imperfect subjunctive is rarely used in French, I would say 'bien qu'il y ait'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james99)
    The imperfect subjunctive is rarely used in French, I would say 'bien qu'il y ait'
    You're right, although I think that the imperfect subjunctive is still considered acceptable in written French when using the verbs être or avoir. But, as you say, it would not be used when speaking, and there is a general tendency to do away with it even when writing.

What can I say, I like my formal grammar!

ReputationRep:
    I thought when I was having my driving lesson that it should be 'bien qu'il y ait eu' because I realised there was no past participle on the end. I probably should have been concentrating on driving!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    I thought when I was having my driving lesson that it should be 'bien qu'il y ait eu' because I realised there was no past participle on the end. I probably should have been concentrating on driving!
    I'm so glad I wasn't crossing the road in front of your car at that time! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellywood_5)
    I'm so glad I wasn't crossing the road in front of your car at that time! :p:
    Haha, driving bores me and I teach my instructor my favourite random French words! Us women can do several things at once anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemann)
    Haha, driving bores me and I teach my instructor my favourite random French words! Us women can do several things at once anyway!
    *cough cough* :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2006
  • create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.