Carphone Warehouse Broadband watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else heard this yet?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4893194.stm
    http://today.reuters.co.uk/Investing...S-CARPHONE.xml

and somewhat relavent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4898212.stm

According to breakfast on bbc this morning, the service will be 8mbps with a 40gb cap.

ReputationRep:
    sounds kinda cool

ReputationRep:
    What price range are they looking at?

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    What price range are they looking at?

regards
    --marty
    It's free. But you have to use their phone service, which is about 20 pounds a month.

ReputationRep:
    i bet their phone service wont be THAT great though....still 20 pounds a month might still be worth it lol...

ReputationRep:
    I was on their phone service, talk talk right? It's crap, we went straight back to BT. Yeh, you pay for the broadband seperately, but it's worth it because you get a complete service. I've also got bt broadband talk which uses the net to make calls and you get your own phone number, £2 line rental a month. It's linked to the main phone line as well as being seperate. Great value as the calls are so much cheaper!

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iceman_jondoe)
    i bet their phone service wont be THAT great though....still 20 pounds a month might still be worth it lol...
    20 pounds for 40gb of data is about the right price. My Uni pays about 50 pence per gigabyte of data. It's probably the cheapest retail price you'll find any where. Having said that... I pay about 20 pounds per term and get roughly 200gb of download .

ReputationRep:
    I just use Sipgate, you get a local (i.e 0161 or 020 etc) or national (eg 0845) number included.

It is free you just have to top up your account. I use it for business and has saved me a lot of money on line rental. The VOIP was the biggest outlay at around £50 but that is plugged into the router so you can use VOIP with the need for a PC to be turned on.

ReputationRep:
    I have Talk Talk at the moment. I was thinking of switching to a higher speed with another ISP, but i think i will stay with them for the time being. It's cool how they are gonna give me free broadband! Btw their calls are cheaper than BT...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rahmed)
    Btw their calls are cheaper than BT...
    but you have to pay monthly and if you go over how much you'd expect your bill to be then they cut you off and demand that you pay some of the bill. it's ideal for students i guess, my mom didn't like being treated like a kid, hence we moved back to BT.

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    Sipgate is idealy for students because there is no monthy fee at all and call prices are still cheaper than BT. It dosn't make any difference what location it is providing it is a local number (i.e 0161, 01625, 020 etc). Mobile calls are not too cheap however.

www.sipgate.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xavier2k3)
    but you have to pay monthly and if you go over how much you'd expect your bill to be then they cut you off and demand that you pay some of the bill. it's ideal for students i guess, my mom didn't like being treated like a kid, hence we moved back to BT.

regards
    --marty
    The cut off is £250 a month. I would never dream of spending that much :eek: . The most we spend is like £50 a month on calls inc international ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Sipgate is idealy for students because there is no monthy fee at all and call prices are still cheaper than BT. It dosn't make any difference what location it is providing it is a local number (i.e 0161, 01625, 020 etc). Mobile calls are not too cheap however.

www.sipgate.co.uk
    The international rates are quite expensive, just like the other landline packages, but i use another service for that, which cuts the rates in half.

But with the new talk talk deal, most international calls are going to be free for up to 70 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    Check this out for call prices:

Clicky

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, £9.99 (plus £11 line rental) for 40GB data transfer, 8Mbps speed and unlimited anytime calls is zehr gut. I'm paying about twice that now.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.