Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could someone give a list of easter internships so I have an idea which to apply for next year thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Off the top of my head:

Morgan Stanley - Spring Week
    JPMorgan - Spring Week
    Credit Suisse - Do some kind of week
    UBS - Focus on Finance (1 or 2 days)
    Citigroup - Certificate in finance (1 day)
    RBS - Easter Insight (2 weeks, but is Corporate and Commercial Banking)
    Lehman Brothers - Some kind of week but i think it was for girls only
    Goldman Sachs - FICC, 2 week programme and you get payed
    Deutsche Bank - I think they do some kind of week

Theres probably a few more though.

James

ReputationRep:
    /\ is this for 1st year?

Focus on Finance is two days.
    Citigroup also do 'Global Market Fundamentals' for people who are taking a finance related degree. Their 'certificate in finance' is for people in a non-finance degree.
    Goldman is 8 days. They do other divisions too.
    Deutsche Bank, two days 'Demystifying Investment Banking'.
    Merrill to do a week.

You get a variety of events all year long. Some do special events for people in an ethnic minority, of a particular gender, disabled etc.

Pretty much every big bank does them now and they are taking an increasing number of people (Deutsche Bank last year was 30 or 40 people, this year, 60). Applications haven't risen much (apparently) and in some cases, fallen.

/\ is this for 1st year?
    You'd think so given the thread it is in

ReputationRep:
    Ahem.

ReputationRep:
    so how would one get onto one of these programmes, are they competitive?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, filling the form in gurantees a position.

[Sarcasm]

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what form do the applications for the first year programmes take? CV/Cover letter? Online application? Or does it vary from bank to bank?

ReputationRep:
    So how would they decide who gets the position, surely there are more applicants than places? And is it possible to do more than 1 of these schemes or do you just choose which you want to do - providing they don't clash - is there a policy restricting you to one bank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaX)
    Just out of interest, what form do the applications for the first year programmes take? CV/Cover letter? Online application? Or does it vary from bank to bank?
    Usually online application. I think MS is cv+covering letter.

So how would they decide who gets the position, surely there are more applicants than places? And is it possible to do more than 1 of these schemes or do you just choose which you want to do - providing they don't clash - is there a policy restricting you to one bank?
    Decisions are based on what you write on application forms, some have interviews although nothing too specific. Yes there are more applications than places, MUCH more. One bank does not know whether or not you have applied to another, just as there is no shared "black list" and so you can apply to as many as you want, just that most will overlap but you obviously accept the best bank.

ReputationRep:
    My friend who did the 2-week spring break at Goldmans told me that he didn't have to do any numeracy tests or anything - just online application + short interview ... is that right? Everyone else I've spoken to said we've got to do tests!

ReputationRep:
    When would you apply for a spring internship? just a few months in advance?

ReputationRep:
    Late November, December and early January. Most BBs close in Dec I think, and the others follow in the New Year if I remember correctly.

Application varies. Some interview, some don't. Goldman used to do two rounds. Maybe they still do.

Apply when the application opens. If you're paying attention at a half decent uni, you'll notice some company advertising. That's a signal that everyone is open or about to open.

Some overlap.

I'd say about 10:1 contention.

ReputationRep:
    10:1 sounds better than i thought, i was expecting 20:1 or something ridiculous!

ReputationRep:
    20:1 is going easy, as far as banking is concerned. The top of the scale is about 300:1, although a lot of people foolishly discount themselves by spelling mistakes.

10:1 is harder than Oxbridge entry you know...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, Oxbridge get 18,000 odd total appications a year together, thats the numbers Goldman are getting alone.

ReputationRep:
    I know. I never doubted that IB was more competitive than Oxbridge, especially front office!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.