Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Obtain a Quadratic Function f(z) = z^2 + az + b , where a,b member of R such that f(-1-2i) = 0

I know that the conugate is f(-1+2i) , but I just dont know what to do from then on? All help appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xyz2k6)
    Obtain a Quadratic Function f(z) = z^2 + az + b , where a,b member of R such that f(-1-2i) = 0

I know that the conugate is f(-1+2i) , but I just dont know what to do from then on? All help appreciated. Thanks
    You requre:
    (-1-2i)^2+a(-1-2i)+b=0
    Multiply out, factorise by the real and imaginary components, then solve for a and b.

ReputationRep:
    z = -1+2i and z = -1-2i are the roots

so, z-(-1+2i) and z-(-1-2i) are the factors
    ie. (z+1-2i) and (z+1+2i) are the factors

(z+1-2i)(z+1+2i) = z2 + 2z + 5

ReputationRep:
    This has kind of already been said, but two very important things to remember are

(1) Complex roots come in conjugate pairs. If a+bi (b nonzero) is a root, so is a-bi. This is because for a real polynomial p, p(a-bi) is the conjugate of p(a+bi).
    (2) If f(a)=0 then (x-a) divides f(x).

Can you tell me why a real cubic cannot have precisely two real roots?

(Original post by mikesgt2)
    Can you tell me why a real cubic cannot have precisely two real roots?
    Think about the shape of a real cubic. It can never intercept the x-axis exactly twice. Possibilities are:

1) It crosses the x-axis once, turns above the x-axis, turns again above the x-axis, and then goes off to infinity.
    2) It crosses the x-axis once, turns again and crosses the x-axis again, and then it must turn AGAIN and cross the x-axis again.

The closest you can get to having two real roots is if it turns a second time and the turning point is ON the x-axis. In this case you will get one root where it crosses the first time, and a repeated root where it just touches.

I'm sure you can prove this somehow, but I'm a physicist - it seems obvious to me, but if you want algebraic proof, I'm not going to do it!

ReputationRep:
    Worzo, of course what you say is correct. However, if you wanted to prove it without appealing to what the graph looks like you could use number (1) in my post. What can you say about the number of complex roots a polynomial has?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikesgt2)
    Worzo, of course what you say is correct. However, if you wanted to prove it without appealing to what the graph looks like you could use number (1) in my post. What can you say about the number of complex roots a polynomial has?
    A cubic is of degree 3, therefore, by the fundamental theorem of algebra, has 3 roots. If it were to have 2 real roots, then it would have to have (3-2=1) one complex root. But by (1), if it has one complex root, it must have another - its complex conjugate. This is contradiction. Therefore, a cubic cannot have 2 real roots.

Were you actually asking the question or trying to point something out?

ReputationRep:
    I was trying to point out how the fact that complex roots come in conjugate pairs can be useful. We can also use it to prove that a real polynomial can be factorized into linear and quadratic real factors, although as you say it requires the fundamental theorem of algebra which is non-trivial.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 11, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.