Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crescendo)
    Can you do 2 years at Open university, and then do your 3rd year at a proper university?

(I'm not implying that Open university isn't 'proper' btw)
    Some unis may accredit your OU studies thus gaining you entry to the 3rd year, but it depends what you are studying.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samd294)
    Yeah, I can understand how arts courses can run, but how do technical courses, like maths, which are going to require previous knowledge work? I couldn't believe it when I he told me that this material was actually counting towards a degree!
    Was he actually doing a maths degree? Lots of unis have maths modules to back up other subjects that are GCSE / A level standard.

It's the same with languages, if you are doing beginners language module it will start off below GCSE level but still count towards your degree.

OK going to be really anal now, but I am premenstual so live with it.

http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/resources/m...led%20Syllabus

The link is to what is taught at Birmingham uni as part of the computer science degree. About half of it is stuff I covered at O Level. Does that mean that Birmingham uni has a low standard? I doubt it. It probably means they are covering the maths needed for computer science, whether students have done that maths before or not.

There will always be elements of a degree that someone else has done before at GCSE, A Level or known about from their working life. You cannot look at one piece of work from one student and dismiss an entire institution because of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm curious to know what that level 2 course was actually. Sounds more like the level 1 courses although I never did any of those so I can't say for sure. I completed one level 2 course, M203 (Introduction to pure mathematics), last year which started off with an introduction block that had a couple of revision type things, then some basic ideas about groups. Then there were blocks on linear algebra, real analysis (2 of those), group theory and geometry.

The unit list in turn was the following:

Introduction block
    Curve-sketching
    Mathematical Language
    Symmetry
    Groups and Subgroups

Linear Algebra Block
    Vectors and Conics
    Linear Equations and Matrices
    Vector Spaces
    Linear Transformations
    Eigenvectors

Analysis Block A
    Numbers
    Sequences
    Series
    Continuity
    Limits

Group Theory Block
    Permutations
    Cosets and Lagrange's Theorem
    Conjugacy
    Isomorphisms and Homomorphisms
    Group Actions

Geometry Block
    Affine Geometry
    Inversive Geometry
    Non-Euclidean Geometry
    Projective Geometry: Lines
    Projective Geometry: Conics

Analysis Block B
    Differentiation
    Integration
    Power Series
    Differential Equations and Flows
    Proofs in Analysis

How much of that is on the GCSE?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.