The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Accomodation at Queen Mary

Poll

Best halls in your opinion

Hi
I'm a swedish student who is thinking of going to business management programme at queen mary. I've read up on some about the student halls but still have som enquiries.
1) is it possible to share rooms with others or is it only possible to get single room for 1 person. BTW how big are the single rooms areawise?

2) Does evey room have an internet connection and if so how fast is it.
also is it possible to get cable tv from the rooms.

3) At campus are they very strict with who can enter and not. like say if i'd like to have a friend over from sweden for a week or weekend would that be possible.

Also anyone who studies or has studied business management is welcome to write about their experience of QM.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ponto
Hi
I'm a swedish student who is thinking of going to business management programme at queen mary. I've read up on some about the student halls but still have som enquiries.
1) is it possible to share rooms with others or is it only possible to get single room for 1 person. BTW how big are the single rooms areawise?

2) Does evey room have an internet connection and if so how fast is it.
also is it possible to get cable tv from the rooms.

3) At campus are they very strict with who can enter and not. like say if i'd like to have a friend over from sweden for a week or weekend would that be possible.

Also anyone who studies or has studied business management is welcome to write about their experience of QM.

Hi there. Wel it depends wat halls u apply for but im in Pooley so il answer for them. All rooms are one person here but if i ure happy to live in one of the dingey university houses u could share a room im sure. All rooms have internet connection but for some reason it varies from hall to hall, pooley though is pretty damn fast, not sure on specifics but it more than does the job.

As for campus security im fairly sure Bin Laden could walk through our campus and security would not take any notice. They might tell you that you have to declare guests but this is rubbish, its no problem
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
So when i apply i can choose exactly what hall i want to be in, or is it just that if i study at Mile end i can end up in any hall at mile end or can i choose specific hall ?
Reply 3
You'll be given a choice of up to three halls. So you have to state your 1st choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice.

You should get your first choice, providing the halls you have chosen allows first year students. Otherwise, you should be fine, I've got my first choice everytime in the years I have applied.

Good luck.
Reply 4
What are the best halls btw??

The top 3...?
yeah...

good questions...

what about cable connection? do u get it? is it free?
also, even if its a single person accomodation, can someone from our own flat stay over for a night or so, if the person can adjust? what about if the person is of the opposite sex? :wink:
as asked before, which are the best halls...say students village?

and one imp question : whats ur average weekly expenditure, say not on a lavish lifestyle?
Reply 6
Time to hear from Paul (leaving Pooley House this year since they don't want me to be a steward!)

what about cable connection? do u get it? is it free?

Yes, you do and yes it's free... they even give you the wire.
All the tests I've done put the speed level with 2mbit broadband.

can someone from our own flat stay over for a night or so, if the person can adjust? what about if the person is of the opposite sex?

In theory you can only have 2 overnight guests a term. However nobody checks and I'm pretty sure nobody cares! If you want somebody to stay (either sex) they can stay.

as asked before, which are the best halls...say students village?

I think that the Student Village is the place to be.

whats ur average weekly expenditure, say not on a lavish lifestyle?

This is a typical week for me:

£93 for rent
£25 for food shopping
£30-£40 "going out"

Paul
Reply 7
Ok here it is. Pooley is the best hall on campus currently but i havnt seen inside the 1 thats bein built. Though id guess that with a shop and offices downstairs it may be busy, so u can deduce from that if ud prefer it. But in the village id say Pooley unless ur wealthy enough to go in2 France but its not really worth the extra money, i mean wat kind of student has time 2 bath?
Reply 8
does anyone know approx. how big the rooms are like how many square meters, feet or whatever u guys use? thats for a single room i'd like to know
Reply 9
just read about the halls on queen mary website one thing i cant figure out what it means "five to nine person flats"
isn't it studio u get when u apply, to me the 5-9 sounds like if u have to share with 5-9 persons?
Reply 10
Each flat has a number of bedrooms (5-9) and a kitchen. You share the kitchen, but the bedroom is your own. On the side of Pooley House that most of us live on the rooms are all about the same size. I would say maybe 3 metres wide and 6 or 7 metres long? (This is including the bathroom).
Reply 11
Cant really figure out wat ur askin above. The flats vary in size depending where abouts in the building you are. For example in my flat in Pooley there are 7 people and next door there are 9, i think in maynard or some other similar hall they have flats as small as 5. As for size of the rooms it hard to say because they are not all the same and so you get different floor space depending on what room you get. I guess mine is about 2.5m by 5m but it is a guess, also dont forget that a 1.5m squared en suite is in that as well. Basically compared to other unis the size is not bad and perfectly livable
Im a student from Swansea and planning on going to QMUL in september and was wondering what my chances of getting a place in halls for all 3 years of my course would be?
Reply 13
qmblix
You'll be given a choice of up to three halls. So you have to state your 1st choice, 2nd choice and 3rd choice.

You should get your first choice, providing the halls you have chosen allows first year students. Otherwise, you should be fine, I've got my first choice everytime in the years I have applied.

Good luck.

Doesn't work like that anymore, apparently. You state a price bracket, which they try to stick to.
Reply 14
Mike_Davies
Im a student from Swansea and planning on going to QMUL in september and was wondering what my chances of getting a place in halls for all 3 years of my course would be?

About 0, unless you go for being a warden.

Some people will get 2 years (usually 1st and final), but not everyone...
Fluffy
About 0, unless you go for being a warden.

Some people will get 2 years (usually 1st and final), but not everyone...

well if thats the case why do they have so many halls but only one set for freshers?
Reply 16
my friend managed to get halls for all 3 years, he told the accomodation office he didnt have any friends to move in with in the second year, sad but he got a room in halls.
Reply 17
Mike_Davies

Renting Privately is a one heck of an experience...I can assure you, you will turn from a boy to a man once you have done this.:p:
qmblix
Renting Privately is a one heck of an experience...I can assure you, you will turn from a boy to a man once you have done this.:p:

i did it once. i'm a man.
Reply 19
Mike_Davies
well if thats the case why do they have so many halls but only one set for freshers?

They have far more freshers than rooms. A lot of freshers who would like accomm don't get it (those who live within the M25 usually), for that reason. SOme are lucky later on in the first term.

Latest

Trending

Trending