BUNAC thread Watch

Polocrunch
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hey, feel free to use this thread for any BUNAC-related discussion. I have only a couple of questions.

First, is the BUNAC site actually working? I can't access it from my home computer or my university computer, so it seems not. If it isn't, does this mean BUNAC has gone bust?

Second, assuming this is just some glitch with the internets, has anyone been on a BUNAC programme before? Me and a friend are hoping to go to Toronto this summer, to live, work and travel, and want some general advice, tips, warnings, etc. Is BUNAC a decent organisation, or is it a rip-off? Is Toronto a stupid place to go to or will we have a fantastic time? Is there anywhere we should definitely try to live near to/far from, or jobs we should seek/avoid?

Thanks in advance!
Specialheffa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Bunac is totally a reputable and IMO the best company to use for this. I don't have personal experience with Work America or Canada, but I have done Summer Camp two years in a row and they have been excellent. I have found them to be the cheapest (paying out wise), most professional and helpful and general overall quality organisation.
queenofdiamonds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
The BUNAC site is working fine for me... I just got on it five minutes ago. I haven't done any BUNAC stuff (but I'm planning to next summer) and searched the net high and low and couldn't find anything bad about it.

queenofdiamonds :elefant:
katt_47
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
do you have to be in full time education to do it? or can you do it in your gap year?
queenofdiamonds
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
You have to have gone to college the semester before you plan to go 8 credit hours. At least that is how it is for us Americans.

queenofdiamonds :elefant:
nicklether
Report 9 years ago
I chose to go through BUNAC this summer as i really wanted to go on the summer camp programmer. After much research in to the companies that offer similar programmes i found BUNAC to be not only the best but by far the cheapest, and being a student on a budget this was imperative for me!
Bunac helped me at every stage of the process, from finding me a camp to bookin my US visa appointment!
I am looking to go back to camp this summer again and i will definately be going through BUNAC'S returners programme. I recommened anyone considering going abroad this summer for an unforgetable experience to travel with BUNAC!

Nick Letherbarrow, University of Southampton
mcmikey88
Report 8 years ago
I went to America with BUNAC last year for the summer and they were brilliant. They helped me with my flights and when I had a problem that meant I had to return home early they were amazing. I did consider other programmes, however, BUNAC was the cheapest by far and had the most useful advice for me.
lilac spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doing the KAMP programme with Bunac this summer...Paid alot of money going on about £400 and then i get my contract through and see that they take over half my wage. If I had known this, I would have tried and done the whole thing my self. Ok I knew I would only be getting 1350 from them. I didnt know how much commision they would be taking for getting me in a camp. I fail to see how they can be not for profit. I wouldn't mind them taking half my wage if they had got me out there for less than £400. But by the time I've finished work I will only have made what I paid to get out there. Whilst they will have made more than this. I was fine knowing about what I had to pay and what I got given. I am not fine in knowing exactly how much they make off me because its very disproportionate for a not for profit company.
ChrisBan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lilac spooge)
Doing the KAMP programme with Bunac this summer...Paid alot of money going on about £400 and then i get my contract through and see that they take over half my wage. If I had known this, I would have tried and done the whole thing my self. Ok I knew I would only be getting 1350 from them. I didnt know how much commision they would be taking for getting me in a camp. I fail to see how they can be not for profit. I wouldn't mind them taking half my wage if they had got me out there for less than £400. But by the time I've finished work I will only have made what I paid to get out there. Whilst they will have made more than this. I was fine knowing about what I had to pay and what I got given. I am not fine in knowing exactly how much they make off me because its very disproportionate for a not for profit company.
You are paid by the camp, not Bunac. Bunac simply facilitate you getting onto camp. You get the $1350 from the camp of which the camp will charge you for feeding you and giving you somewhere to sleep. Just out of interest what does Bunac say the £400 cover? I imagine it covers visa costs etc?
marknorthlondon
Report 8 years ago
BUNAC are a great company! Working at a camp has to be one of the better placements.
lilac spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ChrisBan)
You are paid by the camp, not Bunac. Bunac simply facilitate you getting onto camp. You get the $1350 from the camp of which the camp will charge you for feeding you and giving you somewhere to sleep. Just out of interest what does Bunac say the £400 cover? I imagine it covers visa costs etc?
On my contract it says that I have a total wage of $3140+ dollars. $1350 goes to me as stated. Bunac take the rest I assume. Its called staff servicing fee which is 'paid directly to the agency', which im guessing is BUNAC because I dont know what other agency it could be.

£200 is paid to bunac
£111 is paid for visas
and then £185 for insurance.

Oh well I suppose this is the norm for these companies. I just wish I knew quiet how much I was going to loose before signing up. There is one company that have cheaper costs than BUNAC but they hardly pay a wage. I guess I know where they get their money from now.
ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
On my contract it says that I have a total wage of $3140+ dollars. $1350 goes to me as stated. Bunac take the rest I assume. Its called staff servicing fee which is 'paid directly to the agency', which im guessing is BUNAC because I dont know what other agency it could be.

£200 is paid to bunac
£111 is paid for visas
and then £185 for insurance.

Oh well I suppose this is the norm for these companies. I just wish I knew quiet how much I was going to loose before signing up. There is one company that have cheaper costs than BUNAC but they hardly pay a wage. I guess I know where they get their money from now.
Staff servicing sounds like fees for accomodation and food that the camp charge and would probably not be far off how much they'd charge one of the kids parents if they were to sent them to camp for 9-12 weeks. Bunac are simply the intermediary, that wage and deductions comes directly from the camp.

Bunac have already charged you for their services in that £200 which covers all their admin fees and the support services that will be avaible to you.
Did Bunac force you to take their insurance, because 9 out 10 times you coul get the same insurance with someone else for cheaper. I know on the work Canada program they charge something like £400 for their insurance but you can sometimes get better insurance for £200.

Anyway, you'll have a great time. It will also look awesome on your CV that you have gone to work in another country. Any experience like that will be well worth it in that sense
lilac spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Staff servicing sounds like fees for accomodation and food that the camp charge and would probably not be far off how much they'd charge one of the kids parents if they were to sent them to camp for 9-12 weeks. Bunac are simply the intermediary, that wage and deductions comes directly from the camp.

Bunac have already charged you for their services in that £200 which covers all their admin fees and the support services that will be avaible to you.
Did Bunac force you to take their insurance, because 9 out 10 times you coul get the same insurance with someone else for cheaper. I know on the work Canada program they charge something like £400 for their insurance but you can sometimes get better insurance for £200.

Anyway, you'll have a great time. It will also look awesome on your CV that you have gone to work in another country. Any experience like that will be well worth it in that sense
So that staff servicing fee is paid directly to them selfs.

Yes BUNAC forced me to take their insurance, saying that they know you can get it cheaper else where but this was better value. I suppose they have a deal with a certain company that will give them decent staff rates as long as the sign up x number or whatever.

Oh well never mind at least I have an idea of where the money is now going

Thanks for your help
ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So that staff servicing fee is paid directly to them selfs.
Yes straight to themselves, not even sure why they've included it, maybe its just because it stops it looking like they're paying you a rubbish wage, I looked on Camp America earlier and they just quote the pocket money which is just about in line with what you're getting with BUNAC!

Anyway, when you heading off to the US and where abouts?
lilac spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am working as a driver at Camp Twin Creeks in Marlington West Virginia. I'm flying straight into DC which is different to most people who fly into New York.

After camp I was hoping to get the greyhound to Toronto and then hire a car and drive to North Bay. The option looks increasingly unlikely as the 'under age driver' surcharges look to be too high.
ChrisBan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool W. Virginia is very nice, I was going to apply this year as a driver but because of graduation couldn't really do it
lilac spooge
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool W. Virginia is very nice, I was going to apply this year as a driver but because of graduation couldn't really do it

Graduation is a money making scam for the Universities. You dont actually get anything from it because your certificate doesnt actually get sent to you until September. Ok, you get some pretty photos but are they worth the hundred odd pounds it costs to get there, sleep there, pay for your photos, your gown, food and that last student piss up?

As you can guess i'm not attending mine this year. Option to go to America or Graduation...America every time
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Design: Ceramics, Furniture or Jewellery Open Day Postgraduate
    Fri, 25 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Do you think the internet has made political discussion more aggressive?

Yes (33)
97.06%
No (1)
2.94%

Watched Threads