Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got an assignment back today, I got an ok mark on it but the criticisms made me mad. I had 49 criticisms in total, 25 of which I feel are totally unfounded, or are due to a difference in personal taste or stlye of writing, eg. where a sentence makes sence either singularly or plaural, but she has changed it to the other. A few times she would say I hadnt given an example, when there was clearly an example futher down in the paragraph. The final insult came when she wrote " Appendix 2 comes b4 appendix 3". She was so picky about using proper english, then writes something like that!!

Im thinking about seeing her to try to get an extra mark or two, however this is risky as she is yet to mark another assignment and an exam. Has anybody else ever contested a mark that they felt was unreasonable? Did it work??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    I got an assignment back today, I got an ok mark on it but the criticisms made me mad. I had 49 criticisms in total, 25 of which I feel are totally unfounded, or are due to a difference in personal taste or stlye of writing, eg. where a sentence makes sence either singularly or plaural, but she has changed it to the other. A few times she would say I hadnt given an example, when there was clearly an example futher down in the paragraph. The final insult came when she wrote " Appendix 2 comes b4 appendix 3". She was so picky about using proper english, then writes something like that!!

Im thinking about seeing her to try to get an extra mark or two, however this is risky as she is yet to mark another assignment and an exam. Has anybody else ever contested a mark that they felt was unreasonable? Did it work??
    Yep, I always got my way in the end.

Fight for your marks!

ReputationRep:
    get your bodyguards to sort it out and if you don't have any or if you've had an arguement with them, take the essay, say you think it's unreasonable and if you're still fed up go and see the head of department and ask them to look at your essay and remark it, while smiling nicely...

ReputationRep:
    With this sort of thing you must remain ethically consistent. By all means, you may argue for a deserved mark- but be honest if a miscalculation works in your favour. Then again, if the assessment was really important...

ReputationRep:
    you'll live

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)

If the marks not given and you felt it was unjust then by all means speak to your teacher but be calm and mature even if you feel like having a go, people are more likely to admit that they're wrong/or in this case 'review' their marking if you approach her sensuibly eg don't accuse her of things just point out that you think you deserve a better mark because 'blahblah'

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.