Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AS IT Cw user guide confusing!.. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm quite confused on the user guide the problem is
    For User guide when explaining how to use the spreadsheet model to the user you dont really explain how the total cost is worked out, you just say its the total cost of the item and thats it...also in my spreadsheet model I have fed prices from another worksheet do i explain this when i need to use these values to work out the total costs or i simply say total cost is worked out for each item from total amount sold multiplied by its retail price...no more tehnical details i suppose right?

Would i have to include all the technical details in the technical section of the user guide if this would mean its the same as my Implementation since im explaining how the system works what the formulae do etc.....

Please help
    Thanks a lot
    From John

ReputationRep:
    reading that, i dontr eally get what you wnat us to say tbh. It looks a bit confusing, any chance of breaking down the probelms in to bullet points?

ReputationRep:
    Basically what i would like to know is what to write for the technical section of the user guide..i have some guidelines which say to explain how the formulae and functions ive created works..But isnt that what I've already explained in Implementation? why would I explain it again?

Thanks a lot
    From John

Firstly, it's a user guide. So put yourself in the user's position. Ask yourself what the user would need to know about the spreadsheet.

Write out the formulas in an easy-to-read format. Don't use cell references, use the descriptions of what the cells contain, or even better, use a symbol to represent them.

For example, if I am working out the profit someone has made, I'd have input cells, say, C3 and C4, labelled COST and PRICE respectively. In the spreadsheet formula for profit, obviously you'd have "=C4-C3". However, in the user manual, you just have to write:

"The profit is calculated using the following formula: PRICE - COST"

If you're writing more complicated formulae for the user, a symbols would make it clearer, so long as you clearly defined these symbols in the manual.

The technical details should basically provide enough information for the user to work out what is going on in the spreadsheet, but there's no need to tell them exactly how Excel is doing that.

ReputationRep:
    a good way to test if the user guide is good is by getting someone who doesnt know must about computers (this may be your mum and your dad most of the time) and if they are able to do it with ease, its good

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Agrees with the above.
    If you're tempted to write some technical words in there, at least put a glossary at the back to explain them, things like 'cells', because the average user might now know even simple things like that.
    It depends on their knowledge level you said in Specification..if they have limited knowledge you really just need to bring the level right down, imagine you're talking to a little kid or something, seriously. And put in lots of screenshots.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh right..But I'm still slightly confused on what to do for the Technical section.. What do I need to do here..explain all the formulae ive created in the spreadsheet model...?

Thanks a lot
    From John

ReputationRep:
    Please does anyone know what I need to do for the Technical section of the User Guide I'm quite confused...

Thanks a lot
    From John

ReputationRep:
    Any help please...Im still stuck in this section..

Thanks a lot
    From John

ReputationRep:
    I never did a "Technical Section" in my User Guide.

- How to use features of the system
    - Passwords needed
    - Common problems
    - Error dialogues

And that was it.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Me neither, there was no 'technical' section because the user wouldn't need that. Xtrm2Matt pretty much summarised all that was needed.

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldnt he/she need that?...I mean there is always a technical side to the system..such as creating formulae, functions...or other problem solving stuff i suppose....!?

Thanks a lot
    From John

ReputationRep:
    in my techical section i put about how to back up the system and what on stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    The user should never NEED to create formulae or functions, because they are just a user, and the whole point of this coursework is to create the system FOR them so they don't need to do that. Seriously, just imagine the user to be an idiot.

And yes, putting about how to back up the system is a good idea, stuff like that. What to do if the system crashes etc...that's as technical as you need to be

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2006
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.