Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Italian Election Result watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At present it would appear that Mr Prodi has a slim majority. As Italian representative I would like to offer him my congratulations at this point.

However these results are not final and Mr Berlusconi's party are contesting the anullment of around half a million ballot papers.

Further information can be found here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4897994.stm

I will continue to update this thread througout the day with any developments.

Mike

ReputationRep:
    China says "Gratzi" to the Italian people if this is indeed the result, and is more than happy to improve and work together with Italy with Mr. Prodi as Prime Minister.

ReputationRep:
    These results are, indeed, not final!

BBC and ITV have conflicting reports at the moment. I could look around further for other versions - Reuters, CNN, FAZ - but I think it's better to wait and see. The confusion ought to die down soon.

ReputationRep:
    India wishes congratulations to Mr Prodi - if he has won. India believes it is only a very tiny majority however?
    India would also like to note that China has changed her views drastically since yesterday/Sunday :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Forgot, China would also like to congratulate Italy for capturing the head of the head of the Sicilian Mafia, Bernardo Provenzano, after more than 40 years on the run.

ReputationRep:
    It is predicted the confusion will die down at some point this afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    India wishes congratulations to Mr Prodi - if he has won. India believes it is only a very tiny majority however?
    India would also like to note that China has changed her views drastically since yesterday/Sunday :cool:
    Not true, China has always said it would only talk to Italy if Prodi was Prime Minister, we continue to have no interest in relations should Berlusconi win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightowl)
    Not true, China has always said it would only talk to Italy if Prodi was Prime Minister, we continue to have no interest in relations should Berlusconi win.
    Ah, OK. India misunderstood

ReputationRep:
    Singapore hopes that Italy's Elections Commission will work towards publishing a finalised set of results, and the declaration of an election winner in a timely fashion. We watch with anticipation and excitement.

ReputationRep:
    It is Denmark's understanding that Mr. Prodi is leading by about .1%?

ReputationRep:
    Denmark understand correctly.

ReputationRep:
    China would like to confirm that official results say that Prodi HAS won a slim majority in both the House of Deputies and the Senate. Even though the vote is by about .1 of a percent, its my understanding of this system that Prodi will get a 5 seat majority.

Berlusconi will not accept the results until "All checks have been completed".

ReputationRep:
    The Spanish press are confirming now that Romano Prodi has won the Italian elections by a small majority. However, we understand that Berlusconi is disputing this, saying that the results are "not difinitive".

La coalición de centroizquierda liderada por Romano Prodi ha ganado las elecciones legislativas italianas con 158 escaños de los 315 del Senado y 342 de los 630 de la Cámara de Diputados, según los resultados ofrecidos por el Ministerio del Interior.
    (elmundo.es)

Assuming that the results stand, Spain would like to extend it's congratulations to Prodi for his imminent victory, and hopes that it's relations with Italy may be strengthened in the new political climate.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the same situation as posted earlier, as far as I am aware.

ReputationRep:
    Right I don't speak Spanish, but I'm going to try and translate it all by myself (no Babelfish!):

(Original post by My Translation)
    the coalition of Central Left for Romano Prodi has win the election of legislatures for Italy with 158 people and 315 in the Senate and 630 in the House of Depities, observe the results official from the Interior Minister
    Was I close?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhesi)
    Thats the same situation as posted earlier, as far as I am aware.
    Its different because it is the first time official results have "confirmed" the result.

ReputationRep:
    Its different because it is the first time official results have "confirmed" the result.
    Understood

ReputationRep:
    India believes that Mr Prodi has won two more seats in the Upper House than Mr Berlusconi.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4900986.stm

ReputationRep:
    Right I don't speak Spanish, but I'm going to try and translate it all by myself (no Babelfish!):

the coalition of Central Left for Romano Prodi has win the election of legislatures for Italy with 158 people and 315 in the Senate and 630 in the House of Depities, observe the results official from the Interior Minister

Not too bad at all for a non babelfish effort, however the slightly revised translation is as follows :

The Central Left coalition lead by Romano Prodi has won the Italian parliamentary elections with 158 seats out of 315 in the Senate and 342 out of 630 in the Chamber of Deputies, according to the official results from the Interior Minister.
    Next time I will remember that we do not all speak Spanish :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello_miffy)
    Next time I will remember that we do not all speak Spanish :rolleyes:
    Thanks

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.