Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.labour.org.uk/100libdempledges

I'm worried. Why are intelligent young people even considering voting for a party that has no real policies?

Explain yourselves

ReputationRep:
    well its on labour website. so u dont even suspect its a little bias? wake up! take everything with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    http://www.labour.org.uk/100libdempledges

I'm worried. Why are intelligent young people even considering voting for a party that has no real policies?

Explain yourselves
    I think its because they think that the lib dems will legalise cannabis.

ReputationRep:
    I vote for them, not because of their policies on uni fees, but because they actually take the time to talk to students. I know we're impressionable, but when I was at home I'd get letters form them updating us on their policies etc which was very useful as you turn 18 and start thinking about who you'l support.

They may not have many real, tangible or effective policies, but they are a good party. Their is none of the internal turmoil within it like you get with the Tories or Labour.

I think that they are fast approching becoming the real opposition party however, so they must be doing something right!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatsthebadger)
    well its on labour website. so u dont even suspect its a little bias? wake up! take everything with a pinch of salt.

Well, I'm a member of the labour party so obviously expect bias and am biased - I don't need to "wake up" I'm perfectly discerning. I'm just curious as to why people would consider a party that so obviously has no real policies. I just don't understand it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)

They may not have many real, tangible or effective policies, but they are a good party. Their is none of the internal turmoil within it like you get with the Tories or Labour.
    Don't you think this demonstrates internal turmoil?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm a member of the labour party so obviously expect bias and am biased - I don't need to "wake up" I'm perfectly discerning. I'm just curious as to why people would consider a party that so obviously has no real policies. I just don't understand it!
    Can I ask, how much was your membership? I'm asking as my brother and his friend recently joined the Conservative party because it was cheap.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry but Lib Dems are the only moderate and liberal party - the other two mainstream ones who can no longer bring myself to name are becoming totalitarian - and the tories (argh) have no principles pulling out of the butler enquiry - they are just opportunists with a billowing gap for talent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Can I ask, how much was your membership? I'm asking as my brother and his friend recently joined the Conservative party because it was cheap.
    £1 a month unwaged (i.e. student). At the Freshers' fair they were selling it for £1 for a year's subscription.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jammyd)
    Don't you think this demonstrates internal turmoil?
    At the moment they don't technically need many good policies - i mean as the third party its pretty wasteful when they can just watch the other two parties slog it out.

They are the nice people of the political world, and I hope to see them become stronger, and look more at political policy when they overtake the conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Did they throw in a pound of apples as well?
    I want to "introduce" someone. I want a rose pin-badge

ReputationRep:
    £1 a month unwaged (i.e. student). At the Freshers' fair they were selling it for £1 for a year's subscription.
    Ah, I might join then! Can you pay by direct debit? I think my brother paid £3 for the Conservatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I should leave and rejoin at the student rate. You can reintroduce me! Do you do anything for the party or just pay your subs? (being nosy)
    Was all eager to join the club here in Cam but promptly lost the bloke's email address. Will get round to it after exams... LOL. My granddad was a member and was going to get an OBE (?) but died before collecting it. Mum said he would have been so proud of me going to Cam, but even more proud of me joining the Labour party. Bless him.

jammyd= yes you can pay by direct debit. They prefer it, saves them money.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent, i'm meeting my local MP next week so i'll get him to arrange it

ReputationRep:
    I'm a member of the Conservative party. Cost me £3 for the year... because I'm under 25. Price shoots up a bit after that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tednol)
    I'm a member of the Conservative party.

<sharp intake of breath>

ReputationRep:
    <sharp intake of breath>
    LOL you shocked, or disappointed?

ReputationRep:
    I was the Lib Dem candidate in our school elections back in 1997. Aww I was only in year seven at the time... I came second though! The Monster Raving Loonies came first since they promised to abolish school :rolleyes: I am voting Lib Dem if I ever get my postal vote form through!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, those policies seem more in line with my own beliefs than those of the other main political parties. Not that I'd try to suggest that they're perfect or anything but yes, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kildare)
    Hmmm, those policies seem more in line with my own beliefs than those of the other main political parties. Not that I'd try to suggest that they're perfect or anything but yes, anyway.
    You can't have a policy that is unfeasible. They aren't a political party, they're a head-in-the-clouds, preying-on-the-disillusioned, unworkable, waste of a vote "party".

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.