In a tough situation. Watch

This discussion is closed.
stoppy123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi.

Well I am applying for medicine this year and have got a few problems.

I have generally quite poor GCSEs (4 As 4 Bs and a merit)

My AS didn't go to plan got BBBB

My UKCAT is pretty poor too...622.5.

I emailed UEA about entry requirements for their foundation year and I was thinking I should I apply for foundation years due to my poor performance at GCSE, AS and UKCAT, however they said they wouldn't accept any predicted grades of AAA.

I am looking to apply at HYMS, Exeter, (UEA) and don't know about the other place.

However, if my teachers lower my predictions to AAB, I will be able to apply to UEA, and York too as they said they accepted AAB predictions however the offer will be AAA.

What do you think I should do? And where else do you think I could apply?

I am starting to think I am not cut out for medicine :/
myyrh
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by stoppy123)
Hi.

Well I am applying for medicine this year and have got a few problems.

I have generally quite poor GCSEs (4 As 4 Bs and a merit)

My AS didn't go to plan got BBBB

My UKCAT is pretty poor too...622.5.

I emailed UEA about entry requirements for their foundation year and I was thinking I should I apply for foundation years due to my poor performance at GCSE, AS and UKCAT, however they said they wouldn't accept any predicted grades of AAA.

I am looking to apply at HYMS, Exeter, (UEA) and don't know about the other place.

However, if my teachers lower my predictions to AAB, I will be able to apply to UEA, and York too as they said they accepted AAB predictions however the offer will be AAA.

What do you think I should do? And where else do you think I could apply?

I am starting to think I am not cut out for medicine :/
With 622 you'll be rejected from Exeter so avoid them. Your best option maybe a gap year and reapplying with grades in hand.
stoppy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by myyrh)
With 622 you'll be rejected from Exeter so avoid them. Your best option maybe a gap year and reapplying with grades in hand.
Is it not worth applying for foundation years then?
myyrh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is it not worth applying for foundation years then?
No if you can meet their entry requirements then definitely apply as you have nothing to lose but just work hard with the goal of achieving AAA regardless of this years application outcome.
stoppy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by myyrh)
No if you can meet their entry requirements then definitely apply as you have nothing to lose but just work hard with the goal of achieving AAA regardless of this years application outcome.
Is there not ANY uni's tha twill accept my GCSE/UKCAT
myyrh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think so, at least not for the A100 course anyway.
Hippokrates
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Foundation years are usually more competitive so don't be fooled by the low entry requirements. You wouldn't be considered for them anyway if youve done science a levels which I assume you have.
stoppy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by myyrh)
I don't think so, at least not for the A100 course anyway.
Thanks for your help.

Will ask my predictions to be changed to AAB, will apply to UEA foundation, HYMS, Nottingham foundation, Surrey/Essex for biomed, and then one other,
stoppy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Hippokrates)
Foundation years are usually more competitive so don't be fooled by the low entry requirements. You wouldn't be considered for them anyway if youve done science a levels which I assume you have.
Why do some Uni's ask for science A levels then?

Nottingham - "A level offer CCC including chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking"

UEA "BBB excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking"
a10
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
your gcses arent bad at all, just keep having a look at universities and email them!!
Naami
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you should apply for the normal med course. My friend did good in her GCSE's (7 A*s etc.) but terrible in her AS, got BBDD. Her UKCAT was 650 ish. She managed to get an offer for medicine from UEA.
myyrh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you're confused. There are two types of foundation courses
1.)The widening access courses which have the same subject requirements (e.g. Bio and Chemistry at A level) but at a reduced offer.
Examples include
BM6
A108
2.) The pre-med courses which are designed for applicants with limited to no science background at A level, these have entry requirements just as competitive as the five year course (AAA)
Examples include
Cardiff A104
Keele A104
Bristol A104
stoppy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by a10)
your gcses arent bad at all, just keep having a look at universities and email them!!
I have looked, my poor UKCAT and GCSEs combined make my application very unfavorable
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why do some Uni's ask for science A levels then?

Nottingham - "A level offer CCC including chemistry and excluding general studies and critical thinking"

UEA "BBB excluding General Studies and Critical Thinking"
They're means tested, you'd need to have extenuating circumstances like being in care, terrible school etc. The point of foundation years is to teach the science missed if you don't take science a levels.
stoppy123
Rep:
?
They're means tested, you'd need to have extenuating circumstances like being in care, terrible school etc. The point of foundation years is to teach the science missed if you don't take science a levels.
Yes, I meet the social requirements for both of them, I go to a school with below average A level performance, first person to go into higher education in my family and have a low family income.
Hippokrates
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes, I meet the social requirements for both of them, I go to a school with below average A level performance, first person to go into higher education in my family and have a low family income.
Oh right good luck but I would advise you apply for A100 though since you have good predictions. For Nottingham they had 400 applicants for 10 places and even if you have to take a gap year it's still as long till you become a doctor.
stoppy123
Rep:
?

Oh right good luck but I would advise you apply for A100 though since you have good predictions. For Nottingham they had 400 applicants for 10 places and even if you have to take a gap year it's still as long till you become a doctor.

I'm applying for 2 foundation courses, 1 Medicine (York), 1 Biomed, Not sure what to do with the other choice as I'm not sure of any other uni's that will take me?

What about Leeds?
SamTheMan95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
OP what a-level subjects where the grades in, they might be more lenient if you took hard subjects for your third and fourth a-levels, not guaranteeing anything though.
myyrh
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I'm applying for 2 foundation courses, 1 Medicine (York), 1 Biomed, Not sure what to do with the other choice as I'm not sure of any other uni's that will take me?

What about Leeds?
Would be a waste of a choice.
stoppy123
Rep:
?
(Original post by myyrh)
Would be a waste of a choice.
Absolutely any uni's in England?

And grades were in Chemistry, Biology, Psychology and English Lit
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (17)
15.74%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (7)
6.48%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (21)
19.44%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (17)
15.74%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (13)
12.04%
How can I be the best version of myself? (33)
30.56%

Watched Threads