Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    any opinions on this would be well received;
    Does doing a Maths degree with something else, for example music, mean that at the end you get a degree which employers view as a watered down maths degree? I would assume that for a Maths based career, its better to have a Maths degree, not Maths with Music?
    Is it, and to what extent?
    cheers!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion staying with straight maths is the safest option. If you want to be doing a job that would use your maths (i mean actually use it) such as teaching or going into the scientific field it would be recommended. With these options any of the more maths related joint school subject can be reccomended such as maths and physics. However, if you are not planning to directly use what you learn such as anything in the financial sector or anything with buisness you will find that aslong as you went to a good uni and came out with a decent degree it won't make much difference. The important thing is that you find a course you will enjoy, you'll get a better result in the long run. I have a brother-in-law who is about to come a partner at deloitte by the age of 30 and his degree was in biology. So if your not planning on directly using your degree just do something you enjoy, the point of a degree for most people these days is teaching you to think not what you actually learn.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a very wise response, thank you!
    Have to think that one over a bit! Might go with straight maths, maybe with Statistics, leaves lots of options open that way, and should enjoy it anyhow...

Ta,
    Chris

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.