Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey. i was just wondering if anyone is going to reapply for entry in 2007 after an un succesful application this year. and does nayone know who has done that before and got in? i want to do medicine and majorly messed up my interview this year. ifi reapply, would there be a bias against me since ive applied before?

ReputationRep:
    Dont apply to same college

ReputationRep:
    a) there shouldn't be bias, just apply to a different college to avoid meeting the same interviewers etc
    b) there's quite a few people around who made it when they reapplied..but be aware that there's many who didn't.

ReputationRep:
    What are you going to do for the year off? What if you don't get in next year - are you going to apply again? What's stopping you messing up next year's interview as well? Why not go for somewhere else, seeing as Medicine is (relatively) quite similar everywhere?

If you choose to reapply, then best of luck, and you should go for it wholeheartedly, but make sure it is what you want to do, and that you understand the potential consequences.

ReputationRep:
    My brother reapplied for Natural Sciences and got in 2nd time. x

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, lots of people do. But on the flipside, there are many who don't make it in the second time either. It's basically a gamble you're taking, so you want to make sure that you make the best use of your gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    To be fair, lots of people do. But on the flipside, there are many who don't make it in the second time either. It's basically a gamble you're taking, so you want to make sure that you make the best use of your gap year.
    You're right - but I reckon in the OP's case it's even more of a gamble - medicine is one of the most oversubscribed courses - and a lot of luck is involved when they select applicants. Many people with straight A's have tried repeatedly to enter medical school year after year and have been rejected by all 4 - I reckon therefore it would probably be best to go for one of your current offers.

For other subjects I'm sure you can greatly increase your chances by simply reading more and in the case of languages for instance, going abroad etc. A main advantage of taking a year out is increased maturity, confidence, and independence, which will make you come across better in the interview. Good luck to everyone who plans on reapplying
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    hey, I agree with the others that if you already have an offer from somewhere else you should think really carefully about declining it, considering the competition for medicine.
    As for reapplying, don't apply to the same College, that's pretty standard as interviewers are likely to react the same way (even if you did mess up). As for statistics? There's really no saying which way it will go, I got an offer second time round (although I was pooled first time - I'm guessing you weren't by your post?) yet countless others such as Jelkin and niamhw were rejected again.
    Should you decide to reapply make usre you do somethin constructive with your gap year - with your chosen subject doing work as much experience as possible would probably be a good idea, maybe taking any opportunities to travel etc. If you have any questions or anything feel free to ask xx

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure your not throwing away 1 yer of your life for a potential rejection!

ReputationRep:
    thanx everyone!! yeah im thinking of working in a hospital for the first half of my gap year or until i have my other uni applications sorted out. hopefully by then i would have also earned enough money to go travelling in the second half. if i dont reapply ill never know whether i could have gotten in or not but i totally understand the risk involved. hmmm still deciding...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.