Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Help on WHSmith and Boots interview!!! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've handed my CV to WHSmith and Boots last week...planning to work in the summer. What the interview will be like and what kind of questions do they ask you??:confused: Any hints and tip????? Cheers

ReputationRep:
    My friend works at boots and I know she said that there was a group interview thing. Which I think she said had a role play part as well, where you had to try and advertise/sell a product to your partner. I think she said that there was also a tour of the store and you were asked things about the tour afterwards. Sorry, can't remember anymore than that though!

ReputationRep:
    a role playing thing??!!:eek:
    thanks anyway!!!

ReputationRep:
    Boots do group interviews. There's usually four or five of you in one group and each interviewer is either from the store or some of the other stores in the area. They show you a video and you have to write down what you think each customer is thinking about the customer service they are recieving in each scenario. There's a store walk, where you pick out things that you think could be improved on, e.g gaps on the shelves... and then there's the role play where you have to interact with your interviewer and try to make conversation about each product they buy. So if you have a shampoo, you could say 'Oh, have you tried the conditioner that goes with this?' blahblahblah. ALWAYS ask if they have an advantage card before you start 'scanning' the products.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    wow, thanks!!! do you work in Boots???

ReputationRep:
    yeh i remember when i had a boots interview, it was on 2 days. the 1st day we had to do a mini presentation about yourslef n y u want the job etc, n what 3 qualities u think are needed etc. n then they told us who was coming back for the next day.
    they next day firstly u had 2 walk round the store with a person who was marking you, n say everything u noticed lol. i got confused on that cos i didnt know what i was supposed to be lookin for. then we had to watch a veido n right down everything u c about the customers n what they were saying. the marker then asks u individual questions about the video. lastly you hd to role play n pretend to sell and promote some products.

ReputationRep:
    Whsmiths do group interviews too. You have to play games and stuff to show you can work as a team, then they take you into a room one by one for a individual interview, but its more like a chat! They just want to get to know your personality really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robusty)
    wow, thanks!!! do you work in Boots???
    Not anymore, no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_e_x)
    Whsmiths do group interviews too. You have to play games and stuff to show you can work as a team, then they take you into a room one by one for a individual interview, but its more like a chat! They just want to get to know your personality really
    oic!! you're making it sounds very easy!

ReputationRep:
    talk about the davinci code and salman rushdie's satanic versus

ReputationRep:
    Preach the religious crap elsewhere *******.

ReputationRep:
    My interview for Boots was just an individual interview. I had to walk round the store filling in a form identifying things like how many tills there are and which area of the store I would tidy up. Then I had to pretend to sell my interviewer some shampoo! Then I had to do a role play where I was given a customer scenario and had to choose a suitable product e.g. a grandma trying to buy a present for a 6 year old. Whilst I was doing all this she also asked me what i could bring to the job, what qualities I thought were important etc.

Hope that helps! Boots is quite a nice place to work really!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!! lol What did you say about the shampoo?? if i'm asked about that i'll be clueless....y is it always shampoo? or does it varies with different interviewee???

ReputationRep:
    I just blagged on about it being good for dry hair and then pretended to sell the matching conditioner too!!! I don't expect I was that convincing I'm still not with real customers lol. I doubt that it will always be shampoo I guess they just pick a randomn product, I think my interviewer thought that as a girl I would at least have something constructive to say (not that a boy wouldn't I'm sure!!)

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

Its been just over 2 weeks since i've handed in my CV, should i phone them up and see whats happening?? I don't wish to work now, but only to work during the summer.

ReputationRep:
    If they didnt have any jobs and you just handed them your cv its unlikely theyll just randomly contact you. Theyll probably keep your cv n record and contact you when they have a job if they think youre appropriate

ReputationRep:
    Yes my interview was the same as rachel-linguist - I've worked boots once and have just got a second job at a diffrent boots- I have done the same interview twice and both times they used shampoo!!!-

The first interviewer was really nice - she wasn't overly thorough and it was actually my first job interview ever-

afterwards she also told me the things i did wrong...i'll tell u:

When she was asking me where certain things were i.e. where are the dental products - i just pointed and afterwards she said it is better to walk over to the thing rather than point

Also when they ask when are the opening and closing times you have to actually go and show her a sign stating them as well as telling her ....

Infact my last interview was only 1 month ago and I can remember all 12 tasks i'll tell u..........

of the list of tasks you get:

1. Find two buy 1 get 1 free offers

2. Find two 3 for 2 offers

3.Where is the nearest chair to sit down?

4. What are the opening and closing times?

5.If you could clean up any area of the shop where would you?

6.How do you get an advantage card?

7.What is the cheapest toothpaste?

8.Where are the dental products?

9.Spot 3 tasks diffrent members of staff are doing

10.How many manned tills are the on the floor?

11.Where is the cleanest area of the store?

12.How many customers at the pharmacy?

the questions they ask you whilst you are doing the tasks are....

find a lower prices you'll love sticker

What do u think will be the best thing about working at boots

What will be the worst

They then they pick the shampoo -(afterwards the woman told me that it would be best to go to the section and pick the matching conditioner and just go on with yourself ....'its best for greasy hair blah blah....')

Then they see a customer and say how would you help this customer

remember you 15 mins to get to do the tasks so dont panic - my first interviewer marked my interview sheet in front of me and she told me the best thing was that i was very calm.....

you should definately pass your interview if you get this type cos the 1st interview i had i had no idea where anything was and when i worked there afterwards so many people come in and say wheres this wheres that...you get used to it in a second so go in a few days b4 so u no where everything you need to no is 1. dental products 2. Shampoo 3. pharmacy 4. advantage card leaflet 5. opening and closing times

The second task i picked scenario 4: you get ten minutes to plan and you cant go wrong with this one-

'A woman in her late 20's wants a wrinkle cream to stop them developing but is confused'

The 1st time i did really well

I picked boots time delay and as it was a 3 for 2 i said if you buy the night cream you will get the eye cream (cheapest product) free with it.

Afterwards she said well done its good you highlighted the offer because that way we sell more things

I tried to do same in the second interview but the interviwer was really crap she took me to a little corner in the busy shop and made me do my presentation there and i was talking and she kept telling me repeat myself as she couldnt keep up with me.

Nevertheless they also wy did you pick this product, whta else would you recomend to the customer, what questions would you ask- i said what creams were they already using if any? what was there price range and if they already used a sun screen cos the product i chose had a spf so i highlighted if they bought it they wouldnt need to buy a sepearte one...

any way i passed both interviews and have my induction day on saturday....

by the boots dont accept c.v.'s so ur better off getting an application form.

hope it helps

zoe

ReputationRep:
    wow, thanks zoe!

...if they ask me about shampoo, i'll still be stuck with wot to say...or is it always shampoo??

ReputationRep:
    I did work experience at Boots, it was actually allright.

I'm going for an interview at WHSmiths for Temp work over the summer, although I don't think it will be a group one. I really hope I get it.

ReputationRep:
    My interview for WH Smith was terrible, only because I was so nervous. They ask things like "What do you think we sell?" "What does customer service mean to you?".. in the end, they concluded that I lacked experience. I could have told them that for free.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 6, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.