Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i'd heard about this

not many people seem to know anything about this at all

politicians are trying right now to circumvent the basic rights of magna carta

that means basically political dictatorship

if this gets through, it's time to leave the country.

seriously
    have a look

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...y_freedom.html
    www.saveparliament.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by comadeep)
    Where you off to?

ReputationRep:
    Sensibly speaking I don't think the government is going to abuse this power, but I hate the creeping power of the state under New Labour. It is so ****ing annoying to see them do what they want in spite of public opinion for 4 years and then see them re-elected because there is no good alternative mainstream party. Disgusting perversion of democracy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laika)
    Disgusting perversion of democracy.
    was hardly democracy in the first place, NL only won 36% of the vote. Hardly representing Brits!

(Original post by Amon.)
    was hardly democracy in the first place, NL only won 36% of the vote. Hardly representing Brits!
    They got more than any other party- so what else are we supposed to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gas_panic!)
    They got more than any other party- so what else are we supposed to do?
    conservative had 33%?

hardly much less than NL; a coelition governemnt may have been a better idea.

(Original post by comadeep)
    i'd heard about this

not many people seem to know anything about this at all

politicians are trying right now to circumvent the basic rights of magna carta

that means basically political dictatorship

seriously
    have a look

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...y_freedom.html
    www.saveparliament.org.uk
    T'will be interesting to see the debate in the Commons and how the other two party react.

They might agree with it for all we know, since they would stand to inherit it in the unlikely event of getting into power.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    conservative had 33%?

hardly much less than NL; a coelition governemnt may have been a better idea.
    And so let the Lib Dems choose who to form a coalition with?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    And so let the Lib Dems choose who to form a coalition with?
    why lib dems? They got 22% of the vote, it should be Labour and Conservative (36 + 33 = 69% = a fairer majority of the whole population).

just my view though, you probably all disagree.

ReputationRep:
    Rest safe: let me tell you as a law student that there is NO chance the Lords will let this go through. The kind of dirty press coverage it would receive should the first chamber force it through via the Parliament Act would be political suicide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amon.)
    why lib dems? They got 22% of the vote, it should be Labour and Conservative (36 + 33 = 69% = a fairer majority of the whole population).

just my view though, you probably all disagree.
    The Tories and Labour wouldn't want to form a coalition so it would be down to whoever the Lib Dems wished to side with, probably Labour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Rest safe: let me tell you as a law student that there is NO chance the Lords will let this go through. The kind of dirty press coverage it would receive should the first chamber force it through via the Parliament Act would be political suicide.
    Unless, that is, under Tony Blair's direction the House of Lords is reformed leaving it almost completely powerless.

Alternatively, as with ID cards, public opinion will not be a relevant consideration in the debate.

ReputationRep:
    The Lords was fairly effective with ID cards.

But yes, the labour government (not exactly restrained by parliament) is constitutionally dangerous (as it is used to having large majorities).

I for one would be prepared to partake in organising student rebellions similar to those we have witnessed in France if parliament gets too lairy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poltroon)
    Unless, that is, under Tony Blair's direction the House of Lords is reformed leaving it almost completely powerless.
    With reform the Lords would be more legitimate and therefore stronger, not weaker, and less prone to be filled with ex-MPs and Tony's cronies.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how it was changed LH...!
    Reform could just as easily weaken the Lords as strengthen it (Introducing a stronger Parliament Act for instance..!)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.