Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to study medicine and have decided on A-level Chem., Bio., Maths. I just need a 4th, and have been advised to take an 'arts' subject for balance. My original choice, Latin, doesn't sound too promising- uni. people tell me that they'd prefer something more applicable to people nowadays.

So I'm thinking of Philosophy. I'm not really an essay person is exams, but am doing well in History and English; and think that I'd find Sartre very interesting. I'd like to know- would people recommend Philosophy? And is it well respected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    Philosophy is the basis of civilisation, the mother of all disciplines - science, literature, art, logic, mathematics, government, law etc.

It is the most distinguished and intellectual subject in academia.
    i disagree that it is the most intellectual subject in academia

ReputationRep:
    Credo experto - trust one who knows.

Philosophers, the great ones, are not just great scientists, mathematics, psychologists, historians etc - but more. The greatest philosophers are, simultaneously, the greatest in their field that they explore using philosophy (whether it be science, or literature etc).

This is recognised in the granting of Masters degrees and doctorates - regardless of subject, when one is awarded a Masters it is called "Master of Philosophy in...." even if the student has never studied philosophy - philosophy is the basis, the foundation, of academia and, paradoxally, its summit.
    being the foundation of all academia does not mean that it is the most academic subject surely

ReputationRep:
    This could be a very insipid question, but the debate on the academic credability of philosophy has spurred me to ask: What is the definition of an academic subject anyway, and what makes one subject more academic than another?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy A level is fine, respectability wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    Philosophy A level is fine, respectability wise.
    I agree on that, it sounds really interesting. I wish my school offered it, but cauz it's so small the subjects are limited :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    I want to study medicine and have decided on A-level Chem., Bio., Maths. I just need a 4th, and have been advised to take an 'arts' subject for balance. My original choice, Latin, doesn't sound too promising- uni. people tell me that they'd prefer something more applicable to people nowadays.

So I'm thinking of Philosophy. I'm not really an essay person is exams, but am doing well in History and English; and think that I'd find Sartre very interesting. I'd like to know- would people recommend Philosophy? And is it well respected?
    Unless you study Satre's book for the AS text, you won't be dealing with those types of ideas (contential philosophy) again, much more the analytic side.

TheWolf...what subject is more academic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    being the foundation of all academia does not mean that it is the most academic subject surely
    :explodes:

ReputationRep:
    When you say philosophy A level, be careful. There is the actualy philosophy A level, offered by AQA only, which is not taken by many people at all. This course is very well-respected and is pitched pretty much at those thinking about doing philosophy at undergraduate level. Then there are various A Level courses in Religious Studies which often masquerade as 'Philosophy and Ethics', and these aren't respected anywhere near as much. For a scientist, philosophy A Level would definitely be very interesting, but the AQA course is quite hard, so be aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Unless you study Satre's book for the AS text, you won't be dealing with those types of ideas (contential philosophy) again,
    Not necessarily true. There are usually one or two questions on the A2 synoptic paper concerning Sartre/existentialism and other continental philosophers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    For a scientist, philosophy A Level would definitely be very interesting, but the AQA course is quite hard, so be aware of that.
    You've said this several times so I'm going to take you up on it. Did you actually find it harder than, say, History?

There are usually one or two questions on the A2 synoptic paper concerning Sartre/existentialism and other continental philosophers.
    Well....yeah, although not this year.

Furthermore, if you're looking to not make extra work for yourself, you'd probably be better off doing an essay that followed on from A2 stuff.

ReputationRep:
    You've said this several times so I'm going to take you up on it. Did you actually find it harder than, say, History?
    Hmmm....it's so hard to compare them. I got a higher mark in philosophy overall than in history, but I think that's just because I personally got on well with it. Everyone else in my class said it was the hardest A Level they were doing, but then again there were only 7 of us. Also, philosophy had the highest drop-out rate of any A Level class in my year at college because it just isn't what people were expecting. Personally, I would recommend people who want to go on to do philosophy at undergraduate level not to do A Level, just because it's so different.

ReputationRep:
    Furthermore, if you're looking to not make extra work for yourself, you'd probably be better off doing an essay that followed on from A2 stuff.
    But the whole point of the synoptic paper is to show you have broad knowledge and understanding, so doing something you've covered in great detail might not be such a great idea from the examiner's point of view. I answered a question which was unrelated to any of the A2 topics I did and got 113/120.

ReputationRep:
    It is indeed AQA- you get to study theory of knowledge, moral philosophy, and Sartre. Sounds fun- but is it tough answering the structured questions? Is it enjoyable? Is it respected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    It is indeed AQA- you get to study theory of knowledge, moral philosophy, and Sartre. Sounds fun- but is it tough answering the structured questions? Is it enjoyable? Is it respected?
    AS level is very easy (at least I think so), yes it is enjoyable if you like philsophical sought of things and like to think 'outside the box', and if you get an A in it, it is respected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)
    Hmmm,do you get to choose the modules you take or does your school?? Because tbh there are probably more valuable texts you could do than Sartre (eg. Descartes, Plato).

It is enjoyable but it demans a high level of intellectual reading. I personally found answering the structured questions particularly difficult, but that's mainly due to the fact that I'm more of an extended essay type of person. It's certainly a very good A Level for scientists to do.

ReputationRep:
    Credo experto - trust one who knows.

Philosophers, the great ones, are not just great scientists, mathematics, psychologists, historians etc - but more. The greatest philosophers are, simultaneously, the greatest in their field that they explore using philosophy (whether it be science, or literature etc).

This is recognised in the granting of Masters degrees and doctorates - regardless of subject, when one is awarded a Masters it is called "Master of Philosophy in...." even if the student has never studied philosophy - philosophy is the basis, the foundation, of academia and, paradoxally, its summit.
    But isn't it strange how all the top philosophers have actually originally studied something else?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm,do you get to choose the modules you take or does your school?? Because tbh there are probably more valuable texts you could do than Sartre (eg. Descartes, Plato).

It is enjoyable but it demans a high level of intellectual reading. I personally found answering the structured questions particularly difficult, but that's mainly due to the fact that I'm more of an extended essay type of person. It's certainly a very good A Level for scientists to do.
    It has to be Sartre, i fear, but that's not too bad.
    Did you find the structured questions harder than extended essays? How long is the typical length of answer?

ReputationRep:
    Philosophy is the basis of civilisation, the mother of all disciplines - the sciences, literature, the arts, logic, mathematics, government, law etc.

It is the most distinguished and intellectual subject in academia.

What kind of careers can you go into with a philosophy degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r316)

A girl I know got into Oxford for Medicine with exactly those plus LATIN...

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.