Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm really stuck on what to pick 4 my a-levels. I'm pretty sure I want to do maths at uni but if i decide not to I still want options. Could anyone help with possible a-levels they took which are not as 'traditional' as most maths uni applicants but still allow me a chance at the top unis for maths? Would be REALLY grateful!

Thinking of:
    Maths
    English lit
    Geography
    German

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for further maths if its available.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Certainly further maths would be good. I'd also perhaps try and chance one of your other subjects for something that more traditionally goes with maths, say physics, chemistry or economics. But the other two would be OK. Perhaps definitely sick with the geography, so maybe either swap German or Eng lit for one of the others and further maths could be the one you swap it for, or perhaps taken as yet another, additional A Level if possible.

ReputationRep:
    You have 4 good subjects, although I would try to substitute English Lit for Further Mathematics. They're all generally "traditional" subjects though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pascal)
    Hi I'm really stuck on what to pick 4 my a-levels. I'm pretty sure I want to do maths at uni but if i decide not to I still want options. Could anyone help with possible a-levels they took which are not as 'traditional' as most maths uni applicants but still allow me a chance at the top unis for maths? Would be REALLY grateful!

Thinking of:
    Maths
    English lit
    Geography
    German
    Unless they don't offer further maths at your school, I'm just wondering why you don't want to take it if you are planning on doing maths at uni?

ReputationRep:
    if your not able to take further maths at school you can always self teach, or there are further maths organisations you could join. further maths is generally a necessity if you want to study maths at one of the top uni's. your options at the moment give you plenty of freedom if you change your mind, but if your taking maths then taking physics is a good idea as their syllabuses overlap alot- 2 a-levels for the effort of one

ReputationRep:
    further maths is generally a necessity if you want to study maths at one of the top uni's
    This is only true if your school offers it. Except for perhaps Cambridge where they like you to have AS Further Maths I think.

ReputationRep:
    realistically if your considering oxbridge or warwick further maths is pretty much a must. At oxford at the moment you meet very few people that haven't done further maths. Those who haven't done have been at a school that didn't offer it and had very maths orientated other subjects eg. physics, chemistry and economics. If you do further maths though the other 2 or more options can be anything you like as long as there traditional.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all helping That's the thing, further maths isn't available at my school!!! i would definately take further maths if i had the option to. Does anyone know of the way to go about taking an a-level out of school? Or perhaps if i taught myself as I have already taught myself as maths and am going to see when i can actually sit the exams. Would further maths be harder to self teach? Thanks for all help again!

ReputationRep:
    Further Maths is hard, but it's possible to teach yourself. Is there a FE college near you that offers it in the evenings? It may be possible (I know someone who does it) it take it at another school, though I'd enquire pretty sharpish into both those options.

Perhaps you could ask your maths teacher if (s)he could spend a lunchtime with you and whoever else is interested so you're not all on your own. FP2 (pure A2 Further Maths) is tough if you're just going from the textbook by yourself. It's hard enough in a class (but then I'm a medic, not a mathematician - I just do Further Maths for the sake of it...).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I intend to try and find out about it pretty quick. So is further maths generally harder than maths do you think? Cheers.

Do Further Maths instead of Geography

ReputationRep:
    those arent the subjects of someone who wishes to do maths at university

If F Maths is available:

Maths
    F Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry

If it isnt

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Geography
    AS F Maths (this is easilly self teachable)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pascal)
    Yeah I intend to try and find out about it pretty quick. So is further maths generally harder than maths do you think? Cheers.
    yes- its harder maths

no- because you've used the normal maths a level to gear your knowledge up

ReputationRep:
    those arent the subjects of someone who wishes to do maths at university

If F Maths is available:

Maths
    F Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry

If it isnt

Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Geography
    AS F Maths (this is easilly self teachable)
    If you think these are the only combinations people on Maths courses do you need to have your eyes opened.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm i seriously doubt you HAVE to do chemistry if i wish to do maths at university. Isn't the enthusiasm for maths plus maths a-lvel enough? i think i can answer that one for myself.

ReputationRep:
    definately agree with you ssmoose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    If you think these are the only combinations people on Maths courses do you need to have your eyes opened.

When did i say they were?

However i bet the vast majority of mathmos did 3 from maths, f maths, physics and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    When did i say they were?
    You did say straight up "those aren't the subjects of someone who wants to study maths at university." I stand by what I said before, Maths and Further Maths should be enough to carry you onto most maths courses if you get good grades in them. And Futureaussiecto, have you finished studying your A Level syllabuses? I think you'll find all the maths in Physics is GCSE stuff (bar radians, covered in AS Maths) and Chemistry's maths could be managed by most 12 year olds.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by ssmoose)
    You did say straight up "those aren't the subjects of someone who wants to study maths at university." I stand by what I said before, Maths and Further Maths should be enough to carry you onto most maths courses if you get good grades in them. And Futureaussiecto, have you finished studying your A Level syllabuses? I think you'll find all the maths in Physics is GCSE stuff (bar radians, covered in AS Maths) and Chemistry's maths could be managed by most 12 year olds.
    Isn't standard form and solving quadratic equations the most advanced maths in A Level Chemistry? It's certainly somethings along those lines I believe.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.