Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think? watch

Announcements

Boyfriend's got a sports society dinner in a couple weeks. It's a v exclusive restaurant, pretty expensive. Anyway, the invites say "partners discouraged". I mean, wtf is that about? :confused: Are girlfriends boring or something? :confused: There's a certain amount of places which they need to fill, and they won't fill it just with the society so there will have to be guests, and he's said he won't take me because it says partners discouraged. So that means he's going to take another girl. Not being funny, but he never takes me out to dinner, especially not posh places, and I'm not impressed that he's going to be paying for another girl to eat and drink at this expensive restaurant. Also, I'll be pretty suspicious of any girl he chooses to take; he doesn't have any good female friends, they're all like mates, so whichever one he chooses I'll be like :wtf?:

SOooooo, opinions please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Boyfriend's got a sports society dinner in a couple weeks. It's a v exclusive restaurant, pretty expensive. Anyway, the invites say "partners discouraged". I mean, wtf is that about? :confused: Are girlfriends boring or something? :confused: There's a certain amount of places which they need to fill, and they won't fill it just with the society so there will have to be guests, and he's said he won't take me because it says partners discouraged. So that means he's going to take another girl. Not being funny, but he never takes me out to dinner, especially not posh places, and I'm not impressed that he's going to be paying for another girl to eat and drink at this expensive restaurant. Also, I'll be pretty suspicious of any girl he chooses to take; he doesn't have any good female friends, they're all like mates, so whichever one he chooses I'll be like :wtf?:

SOooooo, opinions please!
    Has he actually told you that?

ReputationRep:
    very wierd. i wouldnt trust him at all.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, my reaction would be WTF?! :eek:

I mean, either partners are invited or they're not surely?! Never seen that on an invitation in all my born days. Frankly if I were you I'd either expect to go with or for him to go on his own, certainly not take a mate along instead!

Yes he said that he couldn't take me. The emails about it said that the guests were to be ladies.

I confronted him and he got as pissy. I just said "I'm not gonna be impressed if you take another girl, and whoever it is I will hate them from then on". Which is true. I'm quite jealous :p: Btw we have been dating for a year.

Ps anonymous in case he reads this!

ReputationRep:
    Yes he said that he couldn't take me. The emails about it said that the guests were to be ladies.
    WTF?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Ps anonymous in case he reads this!
    well won't he know after you've just described the whole situation, including what you just said to him...:confused:

regards
    --marty

Yeah i guess he might know but he won't know my username.

It's an all boys sports society. So I guess it makes the guests "dates". That makes it worse.

Should I talk to him? What should I say? He's in a bad mood now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i guess he might know but he won't know my username.

It's an all boys sports society. So I guess it makes the guests "dates". That makes it worse.

Should I talk to him? What should I say? He's in a bad mood now.
    If he can't understand why you're upset over it, then he's a fool and I'd question whether I wanted to be with him frankly

ReputationRep:
    You've made his position clear. If he decides to go on with it then he gets what's coming to him. Leave him to stew in his mood i say

ReputationRep:
    Do you know for sure that he is taking another girl, or are you jumping to conclusions?

He was definitely saying he would take another girl. I had it out with him, big horrible two hour argument and then he said he would never take another girl. Seriously confused. He says I'm being possessive. Am I? (Tell me honestly please, I can take it )

ReputationRep:
    He was definitely saying he would take another girl. I had it out with him, big horrible two hour argument and then he said he would never take another girl. Seriously confused. He says I'm being possessive. Am I? (Tell me honestly please, I can take it )
    Why does he have to take another girl with him anyway???
    and also couldn't you both just pretend your not going out

Sounds a bit iffy- all males; must bring a female; but it can't be your own partner.. hmm.

You have every right to feel a bit odd about it. Tell him you're not attacking him and it's not that you don't trust him, you just feel a bit odd about the whole situation. Plus go for the old: "If I told you I was going to take one of my male friends out.." spiel.

Good luck! I hope things work out between you.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's how sports socs work. I've never heard of "partners discouraged" but yes, they want to get eligible females there, to have a laugh with and so the single ones can try to pull them. They don't want couples laming out and the guys therefore not joining in with the "bonding" experience that is piss artist sports socials.

This is probably harsh of me, but I go on these things, and while I'd NEVER cheat on my boyfriend, I'd equally never invite him to a formal swap (if we were inviting men from another college) - we can be couply on another occasion.

I can understand you being upset about missing out on the nice restaurant etc - in which case, get him to take you on a separate occasion; unless you like sports boys getting pissed and rowdy and being made to feel like a spare part, you wouldn't actually like the dinner itself. But unless you don't trust him, don't worry about him taking another girl - it's weird, but as long as they're both clear on the boundaries, it doesn't have to be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    ^^ personally i agree

ReputationRep:
    partners discouraged-weird

Put him in a chastity belt, just in case.

ReputationRep:
    No you're not being possesive, I think the idea that he takes a girl other than his girlfriend is ridiculous.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.