The Student Room Group

How old were you when you decided what degree to do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by izpenguin
Title says it all. I'm just wondering because I am 15, in year 11 and have absolutely no idea. I want to know how normal that is, and when most people decide. Sorry if this thread has been done before, I couldn't find one.

I knew when I was about 14, but I know people who have gone to uni to do a 'general course' because they still didn't know at the time. I also know people who are taking a gap year because they don't know what they want to do or whether they even actually want to go.

It's perfectly normal, don't worry.
17 :smile: Luckily I took both Maths and Further Maths, I wasn't going to take maths initially but my mum convinced me too, GOD I LOVE MY MOTHER :biggrin:
Reply 82
18 going on 19
I don't remember consciously making the choice; I was telling people that I was going to study English Literature from the time when I was old enough for them to be asking me what I wanted to do when I grew up (about the age of 4). To me, it meant reading lots of books which I loved. Obviously as I went through the school system I gained a better understanding of the subject and what a degree would actually be like, but this only served to confirm that it was the right choice for me.

I understand that it's not always this easy for other people, and that others come to love their degree even if they chose it relatively late in their academic career, but given the massive tuition fees we're now expected to pay, I personally feel it's safest to have a real passion for one's chosen subject rather than just doing a degree for the sake of it.
Reply 84
18 and I'm still not convinced it's the right choice!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPod app
Original post by Pinacoladee
Since I was 5.

let me guess, it is medicine :rolleyes:
23..... After I'd finished my first degree. Decided to go back and do medicine, now I'm 28 and in my final year. Best decision I ever made. :smile:
18. I decided just before I took my gap year.
I originally applied for a different subject but then realised I really couldn't see myself studying it so withdrew and re-applied, as I was already doing a gap year so had the leeway.

Don't be too worried if you're not sure now, just decide whether you think you'll go down the sciences or humanities route so you know which A Level subjects to choose.
14. But I'm only 16, plenty of time to fail my AS and change my mind...(I hope not, I love History).
I made my decision about 4 months before I applied to Uni; not something I'd recommend if avoidable. I dropped out halfway through, shockingly.
I decided in 5th year (when I was just turned 16) that I wanted to go into Travel & Tourism, I applied for HNC Travel & Tourism at college and already knew which uni I wanted to apply for etc the years after. I was accepted straight away but last week, a month into the course, I realised I didn't want to do that I wanted to change to business. I've been in HNC Business for a week now and love it. I definitely want to do a business related course at uni probably International Business or something.

I would say now I have a proper idea on the area I want to go into, so I'm 17 away to turn 18 :smile:
Reply 91
I was 17 :smile: I'd known for a while that I wanted to do something biology/chemistry related, but couldn't decide what. I had planned to study Marine Biology but it wasn't until I went to UNIQ summer school that I realised I wanted to do something more with my degree, something where I felt like I would help people.

So I began researching careers that combined those two things, and I decided I wanted to be a pharmacist :smile:
Reply 92
Just before I left Secondary School. I knew I wanted to do Law before then but didn't know the route of Law and how it worked.
I realised last year (when I was 14) that I wanted to do a music degree, and now that's the only option for me really :P
Reply 94
15/16-ish. I was sort of talked out of it several times before realizing it was the only degree that I really wanted to have a career in.
I'm nearly 21 and still don't really know :frown:

And I don't think I even knew what a degree was when I was 15 :o:. University hadn't been explained to me much back then.
Reply 96
I was 21... I had always thought I'd do art at university but when I started studying it at college, I found that took all the fun out of it. Now I like to keep art as a hobby and I study Anthropology & International Development instead. You've got loads of time to decide man, relax :smile:
since i was 7, i have wanted to become a doctor.

that's what my mum says
pretty much the die i dropped out of my dads vagina
16 (early in Year 12). I was actually planning on doing Law, then I realised that 1) I wasn't going to particularly enjoy it, 2) I wasn't going to be particularly good at it, and 3) I am good at Physics and I enjoy it.

Plenty of people I know still don't really know what to do at Uni. Law seems a pretty popular choice among them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending