Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The importance of a C in GCSE english language watch

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering how important is it, if you had 3A'S in ure A levels and had D in english lang gcse would the University still turn you down.

ReputationRep:
    Check with the University, but I'm pretty sure most won't accept you unless you have Cs in English and Maths.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where youre looking at. The likes of Cambridge and Oxford would probobally not look past the Ds, however some places may not really care for your GCSE results, its downt to them individually, look in the prospectuses.

What course are you lookign to take?

ReputationRep:
    It's extremely important to secure at least a C in English and Mathematics at GCSE level. If you're considering a decent university at least.

ReputationRep:
    Ive got a tough situation also.

My GCSE results have always been described as 'weird. I got 6 GCSE passes, English Lit A, English Lan C, Maths G!, Science F etc. And I applied to the Uni's which were posh and tough to get in for Jouno Studies, and I got rejected by Uni of Sheff, two in Leeds so was it my GCSE grades which were the reason or my grades predicted for the course Im doing?

ReputationRep:
    aky786uk, try ringing up the unis and ask why they turned you down - I did when I was rejected and they were all very helpful and explained what it was. Then you will know if its your a level grades or GCSE grades. You don't say what your predicted a level results are, if they are what the unis require though then I would say that its your GCSE results. Most want passes in maths, sci and english. You don't have a pass in maths or science which might be what they are looking at.

To the OP, ring up the unis you are looking at and ask them if it will have an effect. Alot of unis will want a pass in english, but it will probably depend on what course you want to do, and what your a-level results are like.

ReputationRep:
    C's in GCSE english and maths are a basic requirement for all but the most basic of career paths. It may be best to retake your exams, I can't believe that a straight A student at A-level can't get a C in English GCSE your result must be a strange blip that you should be able to rectify.

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine at Uni only had a C (or possibly a D) in English. I think the college were willing to let it slide, because he was entering the University to read maths.

Best thing to do would be to speak to the Universitys directly.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.