Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    To anyone at uni / going to uni who has had a gap year. How hard is/ do you think it is to go staight back in to studying and writing essays?
    I have been reading lots, but no self set essays im afraid:p:

ReputationRep:
    Most Singaporean guys have gone to university after 2 years of brain-numbing in the army. The initial push was a struggle, but you fit right in after a while they tell me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking an unwilling gap year from maths, the very subject you aren't supposed to have a gap from! I've got a couple of books which I've been studying from, but it's slow going as I'm now a 'temp' and called on at irregular intervals. Seeing my books and remembering I haven't read them for days is very unmotivating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberry)
    To anyone at uni / going to uni who has had a gap year. How hard is/ do you think it is to go staight back in to studying and writing essays?
    I have been reading lots, but no self set essays im afraid:p:
    I took three years out and didn't have any problems at all in my first year. Don't worry about it - it all comes back to you

As for essays, university level essays are nothing like A-level essays anyway, so you shouldn't find yourself behind anyone else....you all have to learn how to write them to the style and standard they require.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikk)
    As for essays, university level essays are nothing like A-level essays anyway, so you shouldn't find yourself behind anyone else....you all have to learn how to write them to the style and standard they require.
    Good point! Thanks for the replies everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueberry)
    Good point! Thanks for the replies everyone
    Meh! And here was I ready and willing to regale you with stories of *real* mushy brains!

ReputationRep:
    I had a gap year, and had no problems, so don't worry, you should be fine
    Plus I was really motivated because I'd had a mind-numbing, spirit-crushing, soul-destroying job which made me realise how much I wanted my degree!! :p:

Edit: Woooo, 1000th post!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellewoods)
    I had a gap year, and had no problems, so don't worry, you should be fine
    Plus I was really motivated because I'd had a mind-numbing, spirit-crushing, soul-destroying job which made me realise how much I wanted my degree!! :p:

Edit: Woooo, 1000th post!!!
    :congrats:

Cheers to many more to come! :beer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    :congrats:

Cheers to many more to come! :beer:
    Ah thankyou, so kind!!
    You're on my rep list for super-friendliness!!

:blush:

:wavey:

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year atm and after working in the real world for almost a year, you realise how important it is to have a degree and it just makes you more determined to get that degree after the gap year and you would automatically be motivated to get a good grade and try your best. So I don't think you would forget much by taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalparadox)
    I'm on a gap year atm and after working in the real world for almost a year, you realise how important it is to have a degree and it just makes you more determined to get that degree after the gap year and you would automatically be motivated to get a good grade and try your best. So I don't think you would forget much by taking a gap year.
    So true yet i was in a gap year not by choice but circumstance as its been so hard to secure a place at medical school. I just hope i dont f*** as i know from a friend at birmingham and other med students on this forum its going to be a rollarcoaster of a time!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.