Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For English Lit? Which is more respected? Which is nicer / more fun?

P.S. I'll give you rep! (carrot-donkey )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReturnofGnostic)
    Durham
    Gah I need a bit more than that! Cheers anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serendipity)

yea definitely durham

ReputationRep:

Everyone is bound to say Durham for top slot reputation wise. But Birmingham isnt without its respect. But then again alot of people are convinced that the praise for durham just comes through hype from A level students. *no personal opinion here !*
    SO if Durham does have a better rep, so did the high school that i left during sixth form, where i got AABC and a fail. The college that i moved to was waaay lower rep, way more fun, nicer well rounded people, and i got 3A's last year.

I think too much emphasis is placed on reputation, go for what suits you, location, department, nightlife, sport , clubs whatever, but dont make a decision on rep alone. I went to stay with a Friend at Durham at VMil, it wasnt as lively and welcoming as when i had been to Birm. The colleges are just glorified halls, and you will make as many good friends staying in halls (eg at Brum) .

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    i think there is alot of conlcusion jumping and not many informed opinions being voiced here! People just auto think Durham behind oxbridge. Not entirely sure why

Prettier - Durham

Fun - Brum

More Respected - Brum (IMHO Durham is founded upon a pretentious myth)!!!

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, I don't really know that much about Durham, but I do know that Bham is great! (its my firm for biology)
    The campus is lovely (v. leafy and beautiful redbrick buildings). The uni also has a great reputation, and like the others said, there is a train station in the uni campus!
    I really like the city too - its so easy to get to (a stop or so from the uni station), and the new Bullring shopping centre is amazing!
    My brother is studying Eng lit at Bham (graduates this year) and he has REALLY enjoyed it - he has had absolutley no regrets about choosing bham!

biiiiirming'am is great, love the city as well. durham has three clubs, one of them is europes worst, nuf said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    Prettier - Durham

Fun - Brum

More Respected - Brum (IMHO Durham is founded upon a pretentious myth)!!!
    not wishing to sound think but what does *imho mean?*

P.S Seems like Birm is getting more ticks!!

(Original post by Ladyluck)
    not wishing to sound think but what does *imho mean?*

P.S Seems like Birm is getting more ticks!!

IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

Yes, I would pick brum over Durham (please ignore that I applied to Durham)!!!

ReputationRep:
    IMHO - In My Honest Opinion

Yes, I would pick brum over Durham (please ignore that I applied to Durham)!!!
    Aha!

I applied to durham too, but at a time when i was more naive about the whole uni application thing, and just jumped on the durham bandwagon. Stupidly. But i went round there and stayed with a mate there and decided it wasnt for me

ReputationRep:
    Im sure that using a different account for a week will teach you something about forum spirit!!! By this I mean that its not the best idea to annoy someone so beloved and respected by calling them a facist!!! If you ask Expression very nicely Im sure he will hear your plea and lift the ban!!!
    is it me or has this thread been hijacked!!

That can be fixed!!!

3...2....1....unrelated threads vanish...

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham if anything is UNDER-rated, and it goes without saying that Durham is over rated. My sister was at Durham, but found it too insular and just *not right* she has since transferred to Birmingham (since spet 03 and is loving it, she is doing combinded english with history. She loves the diversity in Birmingham, and says its a much livlier uni, with sports other than rowing!!

ReputationRep:
    That can be fixed!!!

3...2....1....unrelated threads vanish...
    Ladyluck said what we were all thinking. Go Leekey!

Aha!

I applied to durham too, but at a time when i was more naive about the whole uni application thing, and just jumped on the durham bandwagon. Stupidly. But i went round there and stayed with a mate there and decided it wasnt for me
    Wish I'd applied to Cardiff or Southamton instead of Durham now, I only applied because I though the campus was pretty and Im pretty sure they have a good snooker team!!! Still can't believe they had the nerve to made me an offer higher than those from Notts and Manchester!!!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wish I'd applied to Cardiff or Southamton instead of Durham now, I only applied because I though the campus was pretty and Im pretty sure they have a good snooker team!!! Still can't believe they had the nerve to made me an offer higher than those from Notts and Manchester!!!! :rolleyes:
    Yeah totally. I wish id applied to Leeds or Cardiff instead of Durham, but hey im now older and wiser!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmoneypenny)
    Birmingham if anything is UNDER-rated, and it goes without saying that Durham is over rated.
    I agree. That said, many people really love Durham though, it's all about personal preference I myself would choose B'ham over Durham if I had the choice (saying that because I wouldn't really apply to Durham in the first place ). It's supposed to be a really friendly place and I can imagine that the social side of being there is good aswell.

I would go and visit both before choosing though as you may find that you fall in love with Durham because it's supposed to be very pretty Plus the 'collegiate' system seems attractive to many applicants, though often people dismiss them as glorified halls of residence!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys you've all been well helpful, only problem is that I'm now more confused than ever! I suspect (having yet to visit Durham) that it'll be a little bit too much like the school I'm at now, while I want a more cosmopolitan, fun time at uni, I guess. Hmm. *ponders*

ReputationRep:
    My cousin went to Birmingham and absolutely loved the place. She graduated two years ago with a First in English Literature and went straight into a very good job at Lloyds of London. She's now doing post-grad teaching at Homerton College, Cambridge (after deciding working in the City is not for her). So basically- she found she had a really good lifestyle there, she really enjoyed the course to excel at it and is now doing exactly what she wants to do. When I applied, she suggested I look round Birmingham and see what I thought about it but it wasn't really for me and I found Durham to be exactly what I wanted.

I think that at either university you can do very well and a lot of the choice over the two will hinge on what you feel when you visit Durham compared with when you visited Birmingham. I don't think you will do badly picking either over the other.

This obviously doesn't make your decision for you but I don't think you should dis-count either until you've seen them both. You could decide to choose Durham right now and then see it and hate the place etc.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.